SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)
Mar 16, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #136 of 314
I am using Creative Nomad 20G NX MP3. I am looking around for a portable digital source, but seems there's nothing out there. I wonder if it's possible to modify my MP3 to get a digital output to work with a seperated DAC?

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #137 of 314
Maybe goto2003 can assist:

I was just about to order my V3 upgrade and I ran into this:

Battery contacts (set of 4, the aluminum plate is not included) $4.99

Is this 'plate' included with the enclosure? Is this going to be another line item? Do I have to superglue the contacts to the plate myself.

Another question, I'm assuming the volume pot update is included on the V3 board?

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #138 of 314
The volume pot is updated. No idea about the contacts. You may leave a word on Xin's cool talk.

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #139 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
The volume pot is updated. No idea about the contacts. You may leave a word on Xin's cool talk.

OK, thanks for the update. Will post the question on Cooltalk.

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #140 of 314
OK, so everyone is talking about the effect of bigger caps... What about the effect of more buffers?

Also, can the SM run the OPA637s with a gain of less than 5 or is that an intrinsic need of type of opamp?

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #141 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Al
I was just about to order my V3 upgrade
and I ran into this: Battery contacts
(set of 4, the aluminum plate is not included) $4.99
Is this 'plate' included with the enclosure?
Is this going to be another line item?

I don't think that the back battery plate is currently included
with the enclosure (yet.) Also the bolt nuts to keep the back
plate closed is not included either, and maybe other items
need to be found to house an addition SM amp board.
frown.gif

But if you are upgrading from a previous SM version, you can
reuse the outer physical components for housing and operating
the new SM v3.0 board. Your original SM v1.0 or v2.0 should still
be operational just using the board itself. You just would need
the AC Adapter to power your original SM board (uncased.)
Right?

Your SM would be a v3.0 with all of the original outer
physical components of your previous version: Case enclosure,
Back Battery Door with battery contacts, plastic rod spacers to
hold the batteries in the SM secure, nut bolts to hold the back
battery door closed, and the internal screws that extend past
the aluminum door to close the battery compartment of the amp.
That is why I have not upgraded yet, I am still trying to see if
I can get all of the new parts so that I could house and operate
my original SM amp v1.0 board CASED. Or have my completed
SM v3.0 CASED, and have my SM v1.0 board uncased
- it still should be operational but restricted use to desktop
use only (becuase the electronic board components will be exposed
to environment, and not protected for portable use, and AC Adapter
powered only.)

Quote:

Do I have to superglue the contacts to the plate myself.

Xin uses double sided sticky tape, to tape the metal copper (?) battery
contact leads to the aluminum back door. But yes, right now I think
that has to be another assembly required. That is how Xin is charging
$39.95 or something like that for him to do all the work of assembly.

Quote:

Another question, I'm assuming the volume pot update is included on the V3 board?

I would like to know this also. I just asked here ...
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?...08&whichpage=2

Waiting for a response.

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #142 of 314
Hi rab10,

I just want all the components needed and a final price for everything for a complete unassembled V3 unit. Now you're talking nuts and bolts now, looks like a trip to Home Depot? I want to leave my V1 "as is".

Mar 16, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #143 of 314
Quote:

Hi rab10,

I just want all the components needed and a final price for everything for a complete unassembled V3 unit. Now you're talking nuts and bolts now, looks like a trip to Home Depot? I want to leave my V1 "as is".

Xin added the option to assemble everything for you, but I still think it would be MUCH easier if he would add a "package" of all the parts (volume knob, battery contacts, etc) you would need to house the amp circuits ...

Anyway, I ordered my upgrades today - I have two SMs right now, so I ordered a version 2.0 with OPA627s (soldered) and 2xBUF (soldered as well) plus the four switch upgrade. Since my newest SM is less than three weeks old, this upgrade will be free (except for the OPAMPs) ...

For my older SM, I ordered the v3.0 upgrade with four-switch, 2xBUF (soldered) and an extra set of OPAMPs, the 227s.

I can't wait!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #144 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
Xin added the option to assemble everything for you, but I still think it would be MUCH easier if he would add a "package" of all the parts (volume knob, battery contacts, etc) you would need to house the amp circuits ...

Anyway, I ordered my upgrades today - I have two SMs right now, so I ordered a version 2.0 with OPA627s (soldered) and 2xBUF (soldered as well) plus the four switch upgrade. Since my newest SM is less than three weeks old, this upgrade will be free (except for the OPAMPs) ...

For my older SM, I ordered the v3.0 upgrade with four-switch, 2xBUF (soldered) and an extra set of OPAMPs, the 227s.

I can't wait!!
biggrin.gif

So the kit assembly fee is another charge of $39.99 in addition to cost of the enclosure, contact cost etc...?

Correct, Xin should just have a 'package' that includes ALL the parts minus the board to assemble a V3. This would be a COMPLETE solution. What's a solution without ALL of the deliverables?

Is the BUF2X free til 4/31/05 or do we have to click BUF2X on the bottom of the page at $14.99 because it's an upgrade? LOL!!!

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #145 of 314
Quote:

So the kit assembly fee is another charge of $39.99 in addition to cost of the enclosure, contact cost etc...?

Correct, Xin should just have a 'package' that includes ALL the parts minus the board to assemble a V3. This would be a COMPLETE solution. What's a solution without ALL of the deliverables?

Is the BUF2X free til 4/31/05 or do we have to click BUF2X on the bottom of the page at $14.99 because it's an upgrade? LOL!!!

The $14.99 is for upgrades, it's half-priced but not free like with NEW SuperMacros.

The ordering section could use a major overhaul though - it's quite confusing as-is ... I offered to help Xin with the wording (for the sake of clarity), I hope me takes me up on the offer.

Mar 16, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #146 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
The $14.99 is for upgrades, it's half-priced but not free like with NEW SuperMacros.

The ordering section could use a major overhaul though - it's quite confusing as-is ... I offered to help Xin with the wording (for the sake of clarity), I hope me takes me up on the offer.

OK, $14.99 is for upgrades. Just waiting on what Xin is going to do about a 'package' if he is going to do one at all. I'd hate to go to Walmart looking for 'wooden sticks' and doubled sided tape to complete this unit.

The page definitely needs a little work and clarification. Thanks for responding.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #147 of 314
Ok a bit confused on what I can and should order.

I want the 4 switches so I will order the:

SuperMacro-3 with 4 feature switches $349.99

Can I also get the 2x BUF634 buffers (instead of 1x) soldered on board $29.99 (free till 4/31/2005) with the 4 switches?

What are the advantages to 2x VUF634 buffers, more power?

Almost hestitant to order in case he comes out with a new amp with a dac in the next few minutes. You never know what that guy is up to.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #148 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
What are the advantages to 2x VUF634 buffers, more power?

Yeah, how exactly does having more buffers change the sound? As opposed to having more capacitors? (I know they're different things, but just saying...)

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #149 of 314
Quote:

Yeah, how exactly does having more buffers change the sound? As opposed to having more capacitors? (I know they're different things, but just saying...)

I would like to know this also. If having more buffers doesn't significantly change the sound, then the supermini-3 is a much better deal. It's the same as the supermacro-3 except no stackable buffers and no opamp rolling.

EDIT: it seems that buffers only serve to increase current. Xin describes the supermini:

"The same 3-channel architecture, but no stackable buffers. Maximum driving power is 100mA to 200mA; while Macro-3 is up to 1000mA (with 4 buffers). Note: 100mA is still a lot, even for power hungry cans!"

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #150 of 314
Hmm... So current-hungry cans are full size, low impedance cans like the Sony CD-3000 and the Grados, right. But meanwhile, low impedance canalphones would not need the greater current output, since they are so small and efficient. And high-impedance cans like the HD650 wouldn't need current as much as voltage, so they wouldn't benefit from more buffers either.

Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back