SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)
Mar 15, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #77 of 314
SuperMacro-3 Standard:

OPAMP sockets (L, R & G, NE5534), BUF634 (2x soldered on board till 3/31/2005), total 2000uF power caps, 3-channel architecture

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #79 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
A reply from Xin. He's trying to test a new idea that may further improve the currently exceptional design of SM3. However, this new idea may take him one or two weeks. He said he can ship SM3 using the current design in three days , but he wants to give this new concept a chance.

Upgrading from SM1 to SM3 with 2XBUF634 for $49.99
eek.gif

Well, seems as though someone knows he's still alive
cool.gif

I think at this point, I want my amp. If he decides to do another upgrade, I'll send it back to him or have him send me a replacement board. Either way...

Unfortunatly, this is a game I see played all the time with Apple... You never really know when they are upgrading their products and everyone always says "oh, I'll wait for the next one" At some point, you have to bite the bullet and get something.

I'm not annoyed that he keeps upgrading
smily_headphones1.gif
I mean, it keeps the products fresh, etc.. However, a) if I keep waiting for the best one out there, Xin gets to keep my money till with interest, I end up getting the SUPERDUPERMACROVISION V 8.6 amp
wink.gif
... b) how can people upgrade if they don't have the amp to begin with?
wink.gif

PS: Canuck: I was wondering that as well.

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #80 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57
Thanks for the info. GoTo.

Does anybody have an opinion on the option to "Remove the opamp socket in ground channel and double caps to 4000uF?"

Supposedly swapping out the opamp in the ground channel has little to no difference in the sound, so I was planning on going with this option to get the extra capacitance. Plus I have several different opamps at my disposal but I only have 2 of each, if I went with the ground socket I'd need 3
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #81 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
"Extrinsic" sound - please explain a lil
smily_headphones1.gif

To be honest, I've no idea what Black Gate Caps are/do. All I know is that it did make the amp $10 more expensive, which, based on the you get what you pay for factor, I assume make the amp better
wink.gif

If it does come down to SR-71 vs SM V3, I would go the extra length of paying for the SR-71. Of course, I've been trying to convince myself that the Portaphile isn't a lesser choice, despite being cheaper
wink.gif

Extrinsic of sound = outside of sound. Qualities not dealing with sound.

The Black Gates are very popular on many high end home amps, and they're rather large for their capacitance. As to how they help I have no idea, but from what I can tell they're better to have than to not.
icon10.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #82 of 314
Quote:

SuperMacro-3 Standard:

OPAMP sockets (L, R & G, NE5534), BUF634 (2x soldered on board till 3/31/2005), total 2000uF power caps, 3-channel architecture

Quote:

A reply from Xin. He's trying to test a new idea that may further improve the currently exceptional design of SM3. However, this new idea may take him one or two weeks.

Hmm... What if by the time he has the improved V3 ready 2 weeks from now, the 3/31/2005 2X buffer offer expires? Or should we get the V3 now for the offer and later Xin will install the upgrade for free?

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #83 of 314
Hmm... Xin's site says:

"Upgrading (for original SuperMacro owners only)
You don't have to send your amp back (you may, of course) and you can simply swap in the new boards. You can add any options as well. You must provide order/invoice # in the message field; each # can be used once only."

Does this mean we can keep the old SM board after paying the $50 for the new one?

If so, then we could buy an extra enclosure from him for $20, a set of battery contacts for $5, and an AC adapter for $10 and sell the old board as a whole SM V1! That would mean that upgrading to the V3 would actually be a profit-making opportunity for current V1 owners...

Or is Xin leaving it up to a sort of honor system?

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #84 of 314
he might ask for the boards back? Dunno why he would, but yeah, probably on the honor system...

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #85 of 314
I guess he figures the V1 doesn't have much resale value. What would you pay for one? It's costing you $85 to get the second amp.

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #86 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I guess he figures the V1 doesn't have much resale value. What would you pay for one? It's costing you $85 to get the second amp.

Well, or at least it would cost you nothing to upgrade to the SM V3, assuming an ultra low FS value of the V1...

ie. you pay $50 for the V3 upgrade, + $20 for a new enclosure, $5 for new battery contacts, and $10 for a new AC adaptor. So that's $85 dollars you have just *spent*, yes, but now you have *2* complete amps. So even if you were to sell the V1 for the ultra ultra low price of $85 (mind you, complete with enclosure and AC adaptor, essentially what we all paid $300 for just some weeks ago), you'd break even while upgrading to the V3.

In the more realistic scenario of selling the V1 for around $200, you'd be making a profit of $115 out of the upgrade.

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #87 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen

When I talked to Xin, he mentioned that I would need to send the v1.0 circuit boards back to him. It's kind of like he's cross-shipping the new amps ... but you DO have to send the old ones back.

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #88 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
When I talked to Xin, he mentioned that I would need to send the v1.0 circuit boards back to him. It's kind of like he's cross-shipping the new amps ... but you DO have to send the old ones back.

yeah, he could always do a refurb program to get a bit more $ out of this. eg: everyone who upgrades V1 -> V3; he could turn around and sell those for cheap (say.... SuperMini Version 3? :wink:

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #89 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022
(say.... SuperMini Version 3? :wink:

Holy $hit! hehehehe.... that would be clever.

Mar 15, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #90 of 314
I was thinking of getting the Rega Ear or Xin Supermacro for my Sennheiser HD650's. I was pretty set on the Rega Ear since its easy to get for me in the UK and its apparently highly recommended for the 650's because it was virtually designed for them.

However with this new Supermacro V3; I'm having second thoughts. Will the Supermacro be better than the Rega for the HD650's (and only the HD650's-I won't be using it for anything else). There both working out about the same price for me, at least without the switches on the Supermacro, but I don't need them. Whilst I like the idea of portability, its by no means essential to me. My question is though, is the supermacro designed for headphones like ETY's? Or can it best the Rega with high impedance power hungry sennheisers like mine?

Another concern for me is whilst I'm all for continuous development and improvement; I don't like the idea of paying so much for a product and it getting virtually replaced so soon.

Should I get the Supermacro V3 and if so in what configuration? Also will the AC adapter supplied work in the UK?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back