Superlux HD668B vs. Samson SR850?
Mar 13, 2013 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Povell42

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been trying to find some forums that elaborate on a comparison between these two headphones. There really isn't a lot of info on the two in comparison.  Some say the SR850 has more bass - others say they are exactly the same.  Has anyone used the two headsets and compared them?  I would love to have a forum that can finally compare the two headphones as to what their differences in SOUND QUALITY are, and not just exterior differences.  Ex: Sound-stage, sound signatures...ect

I know the HD668B is a little higher Ohm at 56 compared to the SR850 at 32 Ohm. And of course the cables are different as the HD668B has a detachable cord.   So now that I have stated the obvious differences, I am hoping that this is not the focus of the thread.

Again, I am really interested strictly in SOUND COMPARISON.....not comfort, physical features..ect

There has to be someone out there that has heard both of them.  

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 10
It's been over a year since I looked into this stuff (I bought the superlux 668b back than) but from what I recall I was left with the impression that the difference in audio sound was very similar but with subtle differences. Either way you can't go wrong, I personally enjoy my superlux 668b paired up with xonar dg and use it on a daily basis.

I think there was at least 1 or 2 people who did a comparison of these but I don't remember where, it was some forum post on a review of the superlux 668b. But I don't have the slightest idea of where that was, I only mention it in case you want to google reviews and read threw a lot of them to find it (or what I do and ctrl + f and search for sr850 in those posts).

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 10
Cool, I appreciate the feedback.  I have been leaning towards the HD668B mainly because of the detachable cables with different lengths. I wanted to try one of these budget headphones before committing to a more expensive headphone, as many people claim they are very competitive with higher priced headphones. 

Did you notice if your HD668B's had a burn-in period?  If so how many hours would you say I should give them before making a final decision?

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 10
A lot of people say there is a burn in period of a few hundred hours if I recall correctly. I can't really say for certain as I listened the headphones throughout almost entire time so any changes I would notice happened slowly over time and these were really my first good pair of headphones. The most I did was use my ipod and had it turn down low and burned in the headphones while I slept for the first 2 days, I didn't notice any differences from that. I got into the habbit of doing that just to make sure everything is working properly after having issues with other audio equipment and coming from computers and overclocking where yous stress test your equipment before you celebrate (so I burn in my headphones for 1-2 nights to make me feel better).

And I can tell you they are a very good pair of headphones. I went into a Bose store and started listening to a lot of their audio equipment (high end stuff too) and was greatly dispointed that it couldn't even match my $50 headphones and their products just felt like it relied on bass. Their products just lacked the details these provided from a quick glance of testing.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Sweet, that makes me excited about getting them.  I ordered the HD668B from Amazon and I should get it on Friday.  Im looking forward to comparing them with some more expensive headphones to see if they can compete.  I'll post my thoughts about them after I get some time with them.  

I will be checking this post to see if any one else has thoughts about the Samson SR850 in comparison to the HD668b.  Has anybody tried both of them and has a comparison?  I would still like to know, as I am still interested in them and thinking about buying them also.  If the verdict is that they are the same sound then I might pass, but if someone knows of any sound differences in comparison I would be very interested.  

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Okay, I do like the HD668b a lot. In fact I could not justify the price differences of the Beyer dt990 pro and the AKG Q701 after listening to these for gaming.

I have returned both of those headphones. And currently have the Superlux.  I would describe them as a mix between the dt990 pro and the Q701.  It takes the features I Iike from both and kinda merges them.

They have more bass than the Q701 (not hard to do) but keeps the bright highs and detail.

Less bass the the Dt990 but clearer mids.  A really great headphone for the price. 

Again, I could not justify spending $100 - $200 dollars more for the other headphones. 

Although, I am not 100% sure my journey to find the best headphone for gaming is over.  I have found the Ultrasone headphones and I am very interested in the Pro 900.  It is closed back,  but has a design called S-logic that gives a natural surround sound effect to open the sound stage up.  I think I am going to get them to see if they are worth the price increase for gaming.  They have great reviews and the bass is suppose to be excellent.  

By the way I have also purchased a Buttkicker Gamer 2 as a "silent" subwoofer....which i love so far.  That is one reason I am wanted a headphone with a little more bass....so it can match the bass I am feeling. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 10
Did you use an amp with the Superlux HD668B?
I'm thinking about getting these.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 10
IME the samson and superlux are essentially the same. if you open up the samson headphone, you will see the word "superlux" on the driver

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 10
Will this sound card work for the PS4, if not which type/brand do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back