Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Feb 26, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #62 of 294

[size=10pt]IMHO, it should make all of us beg the question  how can some do so much for so little while others demand a King's ransom for what is often merely the perception of sonic superiority. I don't know about you but I would much rather spend a small pittance and be 95% there than two weeks salary to gain an additional 3 to 4% [/size]

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #65 of 294

Just sold my HD650's because of them.  For 1/10th of the cost I've got (to my ears) better mid/high performance, separation of instruments/vocals, insight into music, clamping force (as in less for my BIG old head!!) and less worry about damaging them.

As good as the best?  Not sure, but now I don't want to find out.

Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat?[size=small] Yes they are that good and I'd call them 'The Best Alternative'[/size]

May 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #66 of 294
I own (amoung several other phones) a K240s and a Superlux 668B ... I prefer the latter in terms of SQ (K240 tends to be muddy at midbass)... the K240s's build quality is better and more sturdier though.

I wonder if the k240s velour pads fit the 668B?
The only true weakness are the ear-pads... hey tend to be uncomfortable after a while.

May 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #67 of 294

Quote:
I own (amoung several other phones) a K240s and a Superlux 668B ... I prefer the latter in terms of SQ (K240 tends to be muddy at midbass)... the K240s's build quality is better and more sturdier though.

I wonder if the k240s velour pads fit the 668B?
The only true weakness are the ear-pads... hey tend to be uncomfortable after a while.

Yes they do fit and they make these a lot more comfortable and better looking. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #68 of 294
As an AD900 owner who also owns the HD668b (Foam Modded) I think it's very close. The Ad900 just has something about them though that makes me love the music, not the sound. They are also amazingly comfortable, after an hour with the 668b it felt refreshing to put on the Ad900. I do love the HD668b a lot though, man they are great cans.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #69 of 294
I think Joker's review on his shootout says it all, it is indeed a great headphone that manages to trow some serious punch at some pricier ones. I like it with metal or hard rock, I also think it does very good with games.

as for comfort, it can be improved easily, AKG k240 pads is already a plus in comfort, stuck some foam or cotton in betweet the pads to make it deeper is also a good one.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #71 of 294
I didn't want to start a new thread so hopefully this can be answered here.

I've been thinking about these headphones but comfort is one of my main concerns so adding the AKG K-240 velour ear pads are just baked in to the price for me.

Unfortunately the only place I can find those pads are (thomann.de) and with shipping come to 44.29 EUR -> 56.80 USD.

+ $53 for the HD668B from Amazon = $110.

That price puts me well in the range of the headphones such as the original AKG K-240 or k142HD which are both about $100 from Amazon. Although lower on the ranking chart of this site, they are probably better built and look better in my opinion. However, that is more than I am willing to pay. I was hoping to stay $70 max.

The Superlux are still in my price range if I could get the pads at true cost. Does anyone know where else they can be found or anyone with an extra set?

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #73 of 294
IMO get the HD668B and don't buy the pads, it's just too much, don't spend $57 for some f... pads! Get the HD668 and enjoy, the comfort is not that bad, it's definitely better than K142 which I returned because of the comfort. The pads should turn up somewhere close to you eventually, and then you can get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back