Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Apr 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 294

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
Just read a review of the Superlux HD668B

Superlux HD 668B: A Giant Killer? | Headfonia

These are currently retailed for about 35GBP in UK. I'm considering getting one just for the price. Getting bored of my D1001.

Only one thing, are these Superlux that good as the guy in the review says??

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 294
I'm thinking about getting these. How would these compare to something like the Sennheiser hd280 or Creative Live Aurvana in terms of sound quality? Also, where can I buy velour pads in case I do buy the headphones.

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 294
Ordered a pair for 35 GBP inc shipping. Gna try them out. Apparently they're comparable to AD700, seems to have more clarity and flatter response than the AD700 but narrower soundstage, which still exist compared to MS1.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 294
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone can compare them to the K-240DF?

I also own the K240DF.
The Superlux hd668b are pretty much on par..
They're just as neutral and faithful to the source as the DFs are, but with a slightly different presentation.
The K240DF sound is pretty midrange centric, with both extremities rather rolled off (bass and highs). The highs in particular are quite soft and smooth.

Superlux HD668 feels even more neutral with hardly any emphasis or de-emphasis. The high end (>8-10Khz) is a bit more prominent and grainier than the DF's.
Bass is better. There's more of it, but it's very detailed and textured.

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 294
just got my HD668b. First impression is that these bad bois is comparable to my V6. Same flat response but warmer mids and highs, and wider soundstage of course. The bass is really tight and neutral. Cannot be more satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 294
I don't think these necessary beat MDR-V6 completely. MDR-V6 are hotter and more aggressive, but detailed enough. But these 668B are so accurate headphones that music sounds so natural that I am listening in tears, full of emotion. I had to add a touch of bass with EQ, just slightly so that there is that sensation of bass. These extend very well into 20 Hz but the bass isn't exaggerated by default.
The soundstage is very accurate, these headphones give all that there is in source file. I use 320 kbit/s MP3 or FLACs. If there is distortion in music these phones distort too. So I need to pick songs that are good quality.
At first the cheap plastic repulsed me and I didn't like to put them on my head. But now that I have used to the great sound the build doesn't bother me anymore.
I would like to build a shielded cable for them. It seems to take quite a while to get to know the sound signature of these headphones, it is so neutral.

If any of you know Head-direct RE2 that have reputation of being very accurate earphones, 668B have pretty similar detail but sound much bigger and better.

MDR-V6 suffers from a little harsh highs and closed soundstage, when compared to 668B.

May 26, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 294
ah give me my Superlux back Mikael! 
tongue.gif
 Now I'm struggling to find another neutral headphones like them 
smile_phones.gif
 I find the HD438 particularly good when amped with my newly bought Neco even though the HD438 is very efficient. The soundstage just expanded with much better mids and highs! 

May 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 294
Check superlux website, I think they list their international dealers there. 

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 294
They are good, but (quoting myself):
Quote:
here is one fact about the tonal balance that I didn't like: They don't reach down very far. In the deep bass segment, these cans lack juice. I always listen to Burial and Massive Attack to determine how well headphones reproduce really deep bass, the 668b unfortunately didn't quite do the trick, TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back