Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #286 of 294
I recently discovered this thread and I really need to chip in my impressions.

I've been a Superlux HD668B user for about 10 years, and I can definitely they are the best sounding cans I've ever owned or heard. (To my and their defense, I only listened to high priced headphones at shows in less than ideal conditions)

After 10 years, I still like their linearity, durability, comfort and SQ.
The original pads are still usable, even if cracked. I recently replaced them with velvet earpads (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32871130289.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.37cf3c00gYWXVj&mp=1) and look like new. I'm still testing the combination.

I see people complaining about comfort here. I wear glasses, have medium ears and owned a lot of uncomfortable, migraine inducing headphones over the ears. But not this pair. I do remember stretching them with a pillow in the beginning. Since then I've been using them in the office for multi-hour sessions and never felt uncomfortable.

Pros: linear, dynamic, detailed, fast. I don't care much for soundstage, and I can't comment on it. Bass is incredible and can be both strong and refined, but requires a bit of low frequency EQ boost. I don't find them sibilant or shill, but refined.
They sound great for both classical, metal and recent music. Infected Mushroom is on a whole new level. Same for Heilung.
I also love the feeling of power. You can turn the volume up and always feel they can go louder.
For now, I'm using them with a Fiio X1, but I'm planning to buy a headphone amp and update my DAP.

Cons: semi-open, leaking sound both ways. They're not for travel, nor for the office. In noisy transports they require more volume to overcome the noise than good isolating phones resulting in unnecessary SPL (yes, I value my hearing). Not to mention those sweet details are drowned in engine noise.

They require good amplification and good EQ (and courage to use said EQ). I drive them with +4 db @ 60Hz (being limited by Fiio's low-band equalizer). Before that they were amped by an iphone 3GS. The EQed Fiio is night and day.
They tend to be fussy when matching with electronics. Not everything sounds good in terms of source.

I'm buying a second pair of HD668B.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #287 of 294
I recently discovered this thread and I really need to chip in my impressions.

I've been a Superlux HD668B user for about 10 years, and I can definitely they are the best sounding cans I've ever owned or heard. (To my and their defense, I only listened to high priced headphones at shows in less than ideal conditions)

After 10 years, I still like their linearity, durability, comfort and SQ.
The original pads are still usable, even if cracked. I recently replaced them with velvet earpads (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32871130289.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.37cf3c00gYWXVj&mp=1) and look like new. I'm still testing the combination.

I see people complaining about comfort here. I wear glasses, have medium ears and owned a lot of uncomfortable, migraine inducing headphones over the ears. But not this pair. I do remember stretching them with a pillow in the beginning. Since then I've been using them in the office for multi-hour sessions and never felt uncomfortable.

Pros: linear, dynamic, detailed, fast. I don't care much for soundstage, and I can't comment on it. Bass is incredible and can be both strong and refined, but requires a bit of low frequency EQ boost. I don't find them sibilant or shill, but refined.
They sound great for both classical, metal and recent music. Infected Mushroom is on a whole new level. Same for Heilung.
I also love the feeling of power. You can turn the volume up and always feel they can go louder.
For now, I'm using them with a Fiio X1, but I'm planning to buy a headphone amp and update my DAP.

Cons: semi-open, leaking sound both ways. They're not for travel, nor for the office. In noisy transports they require more volume to overcome the noise than good isolating phones resulting in unnecessary SPL (yes, I value my hearing). Not to mention those sweet details are drowned in engine noise.

They require good amplification and good EQ (and courage to use said EQ). I drive them with +4 db @ 60Hz (being limited by Fiio's low-band equalizer). Before that they were amped by an iphone 3GS. The EQed Fiio is night and day.
They tend to be fussy when matching with electronics. Not everything sounds good in terms of source.

I'm buying a second pair of HD668B.
Indeed. HD668B is a very good ODM of AKG K240 and it’s durable as heavy duty pick up trucks😂 Mine is on 13th year of use and still working fine to date.
33DBBD0B-0D38-4FAA-A6BE-BFCA2CF2833A.jpeg

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #289 of 294
Dunno why, other headphone or cans come and go..
this one still with me from 2017.
Gaming and listening top 40 song via spotify was the purpose...

Now, I have spare ZMF Foam (yeah no kidding, & please just find other foam that decent for you)
20210925_083842.jpg

20210925_084008.jpg

Since my cans when on mobile is under repair, I used this to accompany me commuting...
had great time
20210922_182406.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #291 of 294
Now, I have spare ZMF Foam (yeah no kidding, & please just find other foam that decent for you)

I'm a begginner in the foam rolling game, so I'm starting low: i have the velour pads and planning to order another cheap pair mentioned on this tread (too lazy to search for it now, but I can if there's anyone interested.

What's the cable you're using. Any significant improvements with it ?

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #294 of 294
I'm a begginner in the foam rolling game, so I'm starting low: i have the velour pads and planning to order another cheap pair mentioned on this tread (too lazy to search for it now, but I can if there's anyone interested.

What's the cable you're using. Any significant improvements with it ?
foam / pads it depends on what your sound you after.
This is based on my exp.
Leather can increase the low / bass, but tends to build up heat when long usage. Lambskin for is the best choice, more on durability perspective.
Velour, is decreased the low/bass. very pleasant for long time usage, and also sensitive skin until it builds up sweat and also smell.
Hybrid, well depends on the config. best I try is when inside the round is leather (with perforated, can roll off some Long decay mid bass). And the pad surface that touch your skin is velour....

well IMO, When you need to find the optimal sound for your HD668b... best you try ur self...
my preference sounding may different with you.

Cable, I resources locally, this is 8 braids UPOCC 7N Copper 26 AWG Cyro.
Great sounds, thick yet fast pace, and tight sounding, with good separation...
Cable just for retune the sound, IMO. dont invest a lot of time on this... buying proper AMP and Using more decent player/DAP will do more... IMHO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back