Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Mar 28, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #153 of 294
  From my memory, it is very similar to DT990 - 600ohm, without pad replacement.
With the replacement, I think it is better.

Hometown dude! awesome. I've been leaning towards getting a DT990 and these popped out in some thread. At this price range I am going to buy either one of the two but not interested in buying multiple units. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #154 of 294
If the other guys who commented early on in this thread put it that way then it would have been clearer to prospective buyers.

Reason why i felt that way coz i was looking for new cans that i could beat around, as an alternate to my hd600. My budget can't go beyond $50 or so as it's just an alternate set. After reading this thread i thought I've found the right cans for me,especially that there were claims that 668b's are the best under $100 or $150.sorry for the rant.

You know how guys here, sometimes we get too excited
k701smile.gif
Sorry if we misleading.

Personally, I though HD668B is too cold compared HD600, the treble too much. Too sterile compared to warm HD600. I haven't listened to Beyer so can't comment there.
For USD30, though, there are little that can compare.

I think 90% of them with right amplifier/dac/earpads.
668b has more head time than of He-500 now.
This is partly due to the light weight and comfy and the sound quality of strings of bigband.

With Fiio E10 (the original), the treble became even sharper.... I haven't tried it with warm amp, though.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #156 of 294
Hello everyone,
Has anybody tried Marshall headphones? I bought them from aliexpress.com for $18 with the delivery to Canada (without a box). Sometimes they call them Major.
To me they sound better than HD668B. Especially mid frequencies which are more crystal. I am not so much of an expert and might be wrong. Does anybody else from this thread have them too? Could you share opinions and compare them to 668B?

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #157 of 294
  Hello everyone,
Has anybody tried Marshall headphones? I bought them from aliexpress.com for $18 with the delivery to Canada (without a box). Sometimes they call them Major.
To me they sound better than HD668B. Especially mid frequencies which are more crystal. I am not so much of an expert and might be wrong. Does anybody else from this thread have them too? Could you share opinions and compare them to 668B?

The Marshalls have been getting some good reviews. Which model did you get? The Marshall headphones on Amazon are all quite a bit more than $18.

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #158 of 294

The Marshalls have been getting some good reviews. Which model did you get? The Marshall headphones on Amazon are all quite a bit more than $18.

I bought two pairs at aliexpress.com. They are a little more expensive now as I bought them on 11.11 (annual sale Festival). I bought one pair for me and one pair for my son.  There is no model on them. Just "Marshall" is inscripted/ingraved on the sliders/headband and on the housing. I can see that they have v. Marshall II now. Mine are just Marshall. Obviously they are not original for this price but I am more than happy about them.

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #159 of 294
Any one ever had or heard of these headphones arriving with a metallic rattling? The pair that I received have a distinct metallic rattle that's present any time there are low frequancies, such as with deeper female/male vocals, any kick drums and all bass guitar riffs. I'm returning them to Amazon, so there won't be any issue there, I'm just un sure if I should order another pair from the Vendor that I got them from. They allowed for the 2 day shipping but charged an extra $10 for them... 

I'll most likely re order from the Amazon recommended vendor now, as I do like how they sound

what pads do you guys like the most with them? 

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #160 of 294
Brainwavz hm5, hybrid, I am using.
I think, with this pad, 668b has more head time than any headphone if mines.
Because the 668b is the lightest with competent sound quality in its own way.
Extended in both high and low, only not as much as He-500 but beyond he-400 in both directions.
Simply amazing.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #161 of 294
Brainwavz hm5, hybrid, I am using.
I think, with this pad, 668b has more head time than any headphone if mines.
Because the 668b is the lightest with competent sound quality in its own way.
Extended in both high and low, only not as much as He-500 but beyond he-400 in both directions.
Simply amazing.

well I'm returning the defective one and I placed another order for one, so let's HOPE it freaking ships without any issues -.-, thank gawd for my Amazon CredCard 

That said, if the next pair work 100% without any rattle, then I will definatley try out the BrainWav pads, also you really need to HIGH powered balanced amp to get your HE 400s up to par, my HE 4 driven with 5wpc is un beaten in terms of sound quality, an I've heard up to the LCD 2 NonFazor and the HE X 

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #163 of 294

Just sold my HD650's because of them. For 1/10th of the cost I've got (to my ears) better mid/high performance, separation of instruments/vocals, insight into music, clamping force (as in less for my BIG old head!!) and less worry about damaging them.

As good as the best? Not sure, but now I don't want to find out.

Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat?[size=small] Yes they are that good and I'd call them 'The Best Alternative'[/size]

Your experience mirrors mine. My HD650s (and several other phones just like it) are either already sold or will be in the coming days. My HD668B and SR850 are beating them at their own games while costing laughably less. I don't understand it, but maybe I don't have to.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #164 of 294
It's been a while since I thought about Superlux cans and was only reminded of them when the thread popped up in an e-mail summary.

In retrospect, I can say that these cans are awesome value for the money, but are easily bested when moving up to $150 price tier.

Granted, most of the Superlux (when I was buying them) were under $30 street. They are about 60-70% of the $150 tier, which is unusual since 5 pairs (or more) of Superlux can be had for the price of one pair of higher tier cans. The Superlux sound very good, but they are missing the sheen and sparkle of the more expensive cans and are not constructed as well. But then again, the Superlux are much much much less expensive. In some of the Superlux models, there is a little graininess and shrillness. One particular model seemed to roll off everything over 10 kHz. However, all of the Superlux models were excellent value for the money. To say that a $30 pair is not as well constructed as a $150 pair is not really a legitimate "complaint" since it should be an expected outcome. The Superlux cans are well constructed for the street price I paid.

I haven't bought a new pair of cans in two years or more because I've finally either reached my endgame or just a very long plateau. I've ended up favoring Audio Technica ATH-m70x, Sennheiser Amperiors, VMODA XS, and 1more triple drivers as my favored listening head gear.

I bought 5 different models of the Superlux's and have given most of them away as presents (and bought more to give away as presents). They were an awesome gateway brand for me, but like many here, have found that over time, I kept wanting more and spending more money. Hopefully, this plateau will last for a while.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #165 of 294
Quote:

I don't think it's hype, they truly are excellent headphones. If anything, they are not talked enough about.

I had a small test session with my friend (both of us ex-musicians) where we listened to four different headphones:

1. Sennheiser HD448
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  3. Sony MDR-CD580
  4. Superlux HD668B (with AKG K-240 velour pads)

When compared to M50, Superluxes had more natural spatial presentation and better bass - not as loud or far extending as M50, but more controlled. Overall we agreed that both phones are of similar quality but different. Superluxes are better for neutral presentation (classical) while M50 are more "fun" or "hot" - forward sounding - usually better for pop/rock and movie soundtracks. I would be happy with either of these being my only headphones.

Sennheisers were lacking bass and Sonys failed to reveal the finest details.

I also happen to have Sennheiser HD650 so I'm not totally alien to higher quality headphones. While HD650 does have more air in their presentation (music seems to be "far") than Superlux, I still like the frequency response of Superlux more. HD650 has slightly worse bass and roll-off of highs is starting to get very obvious when you get used to more tonally balanced sound.

Call me crazy, but I recently packed my HD650 back to it's retail box on top of my bookshelf. Seriously thinking if I should sell them or just keep them for another pair of different sound.

edit: I have heard two different pairs of Superlux and they both sound the same - consistency seems to be ok.

I sold mine, brother. Having both the SR850 and HB668B for me was like having 3 HD650s, except that one cost 5x the other 2 put together. I'm listening to Grant Green - Green Street right now, and if I'm missing something, I don't know what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back