Superlux HD668B are they really that good or just a cheap copycat???
Jan 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #76 of 294

Quote:
IMO get the HD668B and don't buy the pads, it's just too much, don't spend $57 for some f... pads! Get the HD668 and enjoy, the comfort is not that bad, it's definitely better than K142 which I returned because of the comfort. The pads should turn up somewhere close to you eventually, and then you can get them.

Hmm good to know about the k142. I agree, $57 is toooo much just for some ear pads. I'll consider just the HD668 but my experience with that style ear pad has been pretty negative so far...

I don't know about them showing up close to me but I may try some specialty shops in the area sometime! Thanks for the info.

Quote:
cheap comfy pads for the superlux?

HERE

just got mine. happy.

Thanks so much for the info, good to know that those also will fit the superlux. Also using the 668's? They do look a bit softer than the stock ones...

Quote:
My friend got the 681. They sound pretty damn good for such a low price.  Although I do not like their construction.

Interesting, I've heard the same about 668 build quality but at 50 USD it is usually overlooked. Does seem that 668 usually scores higher in sound quality though. Plus, I think they'd be pretty sweet looking not to mention comfortable with the velour ear pads :wink:

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #79 of 294
Out of the box my Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones seemed to have a good range of  frequencies, but the balance between and among them sounded all out wack when plugged into my Yamaha receiver--using either HD radio or CDs.

I sat them aside for 5 to 6 days of burn in and then paired with my little (and still not fully burned in itself) HiFiMan EF2A amp.  They sound great in all respects and have a decent sound stage.  They clearly exhibit sound quality for music that I would expect from a quality $100 to $150 can.

The build quality seems to be in the same class as that of my (also) China made AKG K 240 Studio which currently goes for $90 to $100.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #81 of 294
Could anyone tell me the differences between the SR850 and 668B? I'm really torn on which to get, they are same price, same things in almost every regard. I know there are minor differences like detachable cable but i dunno if that's a pro or con. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #82 of 294
I own the 668b. It's one of the best phones I have.

However the Takstar Pro 80's are better and the Koss KSC-75 have a more silky sweet upper range.

The 668b's are very good, however. They sound good with very good amps and have a very wide soundstage. Not much bass and more of a jazz, vocal, classical can than for rock but they sound very good.

They pair well with tube amps.

Sound-stage: Excellent
Sound quality: Leans towards bright with a wide soundstage and lots of detail
Comfort: Average. Replacing the pads helps. Pro 80 and CAL are far more comfortable.
Isolation: Good. These are open cans but the sound leakage is not that bad.

All Superlux phones have a sibilance peak. If this bothers you there are mods to fix this. If it doesn't, don't fret it.

I have many pairs of phones so build quality is not an issue as usage time is spread over multiple headphones, but the build of the Superlux is a little flimsy.

Expected as the cost $16-20.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #83 of 294
Takstar Pro 80's are $80. That's almost twice the price. Are they that much better? The Takstar 2050s however are only $65 and are open, so maybe they are a better choice for me? 

I'd be using them just with some general laptops (i think one is an asus high end gaming laptop, that might have a decent amp, but i dont think the lenovo y560 has anything special). 

How are they for listening to electronic (daft punk, justice, kravinsky, not so much house or dubstep like deadmau5 or skrillex).
 Comfort: Average. Replacing the pads helps. Pro 80 and CAL are far more comfortable.

I'm surprised to hear that, I had heard the 850/668b is generally the most comfortable. What about those wings, are they uncomfortable? Maybe go with the SR850 instead of 668b?

I see 668bs for $45.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #84 of 294
Takstar Pro 80's are $80. That's almost twice the price. Are they that much better? The Takstar 2050s however are only $65 and are open, so maybe they are a better choice for me? 

I'd be using them just with some general laptops (i think one is an asus high end gaming laptop, that might have a decent amp, but i dont think the lenovo y560 has anything special). 

How are they for listening to electronic (daft punk, justice, kravinsky, not so much house or dubstep like deadmau5 or skrillex).

I'm surprised to hear that, I had heard the 850/668b is generally the most comfortable. What about those wings, are they uncomfortable? Maybe go with the SR850 instead of 668b?

I see 668bs for $45.

I do not listen to electronic music, although Justice's set at Coachella in 2007 was fantastic.

The Pro 80's are better, well the best of what I have now, than all my other headphones by a wide margin. I listen mostly with them, they are the best all around of what I have. As I wrote before, the KSC-75s have excellent treble and upper midrange but no bass, and all of the SuperLux' are excellent value for their price, but are bettered by the Pro80 which has a much better build quality and overall performance. The CAL is good, but not as good as the Pro80 which excels in all the areas the CAL is good at.

If you want open soundstage then an open can like the SuperLux or the 2050 is what you want, if you want bass and impact you probably want to go with a closed can like the CAL or Pro80.

Comfort is due to the fact that the pads are cheap pleather and replacing them helps that very much. The odd wings don't bother me, some don't like them.

IMHO I think that the Pro80 is the best for what you want to listen to, if they are in your budget.

Check my profile for what I have.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #85 of 294
Sound quality wise 668b should cost 120-140 euros. I currently have Ultrasone HFI-2400s and I think Superlux is equally good. Bass may be little deeper than on luxes but I like 668b highs more. Value for Superlux is simply incredible.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #86 of 294
I am eying for this headphone due to its price, good reviews and its availability in local stores. I have read the review from headfonia and really excites me due to the author's enticing review. Though seems like a fanboi review. Is it really that good?

I am planning to use this as my all in one home headphones. I'm probably going to use this as my Electronic Drum Monitor, studying music phones(drums and guitar), movies on my laptop and casual listening. I'm not expecting it to be the best in everything. I just want to know if it will do its job for me well. My main concern is it as my Electronic Drum monitor. Right now I am using my delapidated AKG k311. Its quite ok for movies and casual listening but when using it as my drum monitor bass gets muddy and distorted. I'm not sure if its my module's amp is maxing out or if the earphones cant handle it well.

(I am really not good in describing sound)
As a drum monitor I am really not after a boomy sound, rather I am just looking a punchy "thud" especially for the bass, for the toms punchy with a bit of deep "tooob" sound, a cruchy snare and a pronounce "tsssssk" for hihats.

For the rest, more that average would we great.

To wrap it up. I am just asking if this phones will be able to do what I want? If no what would make it bad(I might be able to deal with that)? My main priority is for it to handle the sampled sound in my Electronic Drum. Will you recommend other near its price range?

thanks!

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #87 of 294
For under $60 I think the Evo/681B/SR850 is your best bet. I'd go with Evos for being slightly cheaper, better profile for all around, and more comfy, but if you really want something neutral, go with sr850 (cant tell if you are saying you want something neutral or not). 

They get a little sore after about 4+ hours because your ear touches the covered driver pad, but if you have smaller ears that isn't a big deal, if you aren't using for super long stretches not a big deal either. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #88 of 294
  For under $60 I think the Evo/681B/SR850 is your best bet. I'd go with Evos for being slightly cheaper, better profile for all around, and more comfy, but if you really want something neutral, go with sr850 (cant tell if you are saying you want something neutral or not). 

They get a little sore after about 4+ hours because your ear touches the covered driver pad, but if you have smaller ears that isn't a big deal, if you aren't using for super long stretches not a big deal either. 

I assume this is a response to my question?

So you mean ditch HD668b and get either of the 3? Does the Evo in your post points to "Superlux HD681 Evo"?  SR850 is the presonus so it means it same with the 681b? Seems I leaning with the Evo. Have read some reviews and I think it fits what I am looking for. Good thing they have it on my local store. One concern, I'm asian and the evo is not adjustable. Will it still stay in my head while drumming? I tend to make a groovy head movement but far from head bangin'.

Thanks! You comment really helped me. =)

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #89 of 294
If you haven't tried open/semi-open headphones the Superlux will wow you. The only thing the Takstar pro 80 has over it is probably the stronger bass otherwise in my opinion the Superlux has overall a better sound quality especially being semi-open rather than closed. The only thing is the highs can be screechy if you're sensitive to it. I'd go with the Evo's I heard they've tamed the highs on that one. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #90 of 294
If you have your expectations right, then you will realize these are good headphones. Plus they only cost around $35 which is basically really low compared to the thousand dollar cans that people buy here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back