Superlux hd 681 evo or akg k92
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Terry White

New Head-Fier
hi guys, this will be my first real headphones and i want to buy the best for my budget (60$/€).
Then wich of these will be better ? The superlux hd 681 evo or the akg k92 ?
If you know a better solution for the same price don't hesitate to tell me this.
Thank you :ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 19
I also suggest the SHP9500 but both headphones he listed are closed not open. For a similar price I reccomend the Samson SR850, I hear great thing from this can all the time, but it`s open as well. But I think these two above would sound better than the ones you listed

From the options you gave I would go with the Superlux, it`s more famous, got more reviews and people really like the sound. All bad reviews on Amazon say the sound is great but the Superlux is prone to breaking (so be careful with it)

On the other hand people were mad with this AKG saying the sound is inferiores to cheaper AKG, this is kinda backed up by the fact that I never hear much from these cans, there aren`t many reviews.

So it`s Superlux for sure in this fight for me.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 19
Same impedance, 32 ohms. The build quality is not good either, these headphones have a very good sound but to be cheap they lack build quality.

I don`t know what type of sound you like tho. The Samson are open so they have a more airy and open spaced sound, a bigger sound stage (for this reason people also like to use the Samson for gaming) and the sound quality of the highs and mids are, by the reviews I read better than the 681, but because it is a open headphone it will have less bass than the 681 (still the Samson are known for having a very present bass for open cans).

So it`s about how you like the sounds, if you want more crazy and powerful bass stick to closed headphones like the 681, if you care about sound stage as well and better mids and highs go with the Samson.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 19
It`s all very subjective.

But if you like ASMR I think the open design of the Sr850 can be very ideal. The open design with good airy sound stage can make listening to all the sound stimulus of ASMR moving around the ears etc much more fun. You will be able to notice the positioning of the sound a little better with open headphones.

For the metal part, there are just too many style but in a general way, metal doesn`t focus too much on low end sounds so the SR850 would work fine and be my choice, specially for the ASMR experience.

Just a note, the High end sound on the SR850 (treble) can be very strong and cause a little fatigue with long use in some people, but don`t worry if this happen for you, you can always use the equalizer to tone down a little bit.

In the end there are no perfect headphones, but specially for the ASMR I would go with a open headphones like the SR850.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 19
Are you sure you cant buy the SHP9500? It would be my personal choice, and the price is kinda close to the ones you listed, well.. let`s go.

AKG K121 - This headphone was discontinued so it might be more expensive now that before, also the sound isn`t so good.

Shure SRH440 - Very good closed headphones, in fact I thinking about buying them later, the problems is that they really lack bass. But you can try to increase using equalizer but for metal and ASMR it won`t matter much. Fore pure music standpoint I would go with the Sure. As before tho, its all personal, maybe depending of your preference you will find the Shure too flat or boring. But in a analytical way to look these are the best in this list for sound quality.

Audio Technica Pro ATH-M30X - A good closed headphone but I prefer the Shure, they have more quality. M30X will have more bass and can be ``more fun`` to listen but overall quality of sound is better on the Shure and you dont need much bass for metal and ASMR. If you managed to get the M40X then it would be other story, then maybe I would suggest the M40X instead of the Sure.

Beyerdynamic Custom Street - Don`t know much about them to give opinion, but they never really got famous around this forum.

So it narrows down to Shure and SR850. As I said before, the Shure is closed and the SR850 is open. So you know the drill as I wrote it before. I think the sound quality of the Shure would be a little better, bass on both would be a little lacking. SR850 is better for Gaming and ASMR because of the open design also they also wouldn't be very behind in music, the SR850 are very good as well.

All in all the sound signature of both is kinda close, they have more mid, highs. The Shure would maybe be a little better for pure music in my opinion but would not be as fun for ASMR compared because they won`t be so airy and open like the SR850. Both headphones are a great choice but i`m inclined more to the Samson SR850 because the ASMR aspect.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 19
Here this can help, they recorded the headphones, be aware that the sound directly from the headphone will be much better, but you can have some idea on their signature.

By the end of the file there was some rock/metal playing. So set the timer at the same place for all headphones you want to test and listen between them.

This playlist has the Shure 440, 661 and the 668 (almost the same as the SR850).

This can help you to decide if you like each signature.
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #15 of 19
Both are closed headphones so it won't change much for asmr as there won't be much sound stage and space. But the shure is better in my opinion in the sound aspect so I would get it.

Be aware as I said earlier that the sound is not perfect equal. For example the 668 is semi open, so I closed headphone you use to test won't do justice, the sound will be worse because your headphone is closed.

In the end its either the shure 440 or sr850 for me, if you like the shure, go for it, aside lack of bass that you can fix equalizing it's a very good headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back