Superlux HD 631 DJ Headphone ~
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:
I also have these cans. I will post a review in a while comparing them with m50 and Superlux 668b.  Bought them in the same shop as the OP did.  I can't say that they are really DJ headphones.  Overall sound is similar to audio technica m50 (personal opinion).  Very uncomfortable for me, wearing them for 2 hours already gives me headaches.  But my money was very well spent on these great sounding cans.  Also the most stylish among the ugly Superluxes.
cool.gif

exactly! that was the only problem "UNCOMFORTABLE" to wear but for me not my head but my ears lol
looking for DIY Solution to make the earcups a bit deeper and softer!

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:
I also have these cans. I will post a review in a while comparing them with m50 and Superlux 668b.  Bought them in the same shop as the OP did.  I can't say that they are really DJ headphones.  Overall sound is similar to audio technica m50 (personal opinion).  Very uncomfortable for me, wearing them for 2 hours already gives me headaches.  But my money was very well spent on these great sounding cans.  Also the most stylish among the ugly Superluxes.
cool.gif

I agree these are not true DJ cans. For one thing, there is no comfortable way to do single-ear monitoring. It's more of a consumer headphone, much like the M50. Mine are not terribly uncomfortable though. Clamping pressure is a bit strong so I may try stretching them out on something for a few days. Also, since they are heavy (300g) the "wing" fit system doesn't work all that well. They feel like they are pressing down (as well as in) on my ears. A different haedband system would make these much better. But...the sound quality is killer. Bass is heavy, but tight and tuned to accentuate drums and rhythms and not cause bass (guitar or synth) to sound bloated. And the mids and highs sound fantastic. And yeah, they look really nice too.
Quote:
How much were they?

Do you know where you can get them in the US?

Contact the U.S. distributor. They should be able to help you find a retailer.

http://www.avlex.com/superlux/headphones.html

I think because it's kind of new there are just not a lot of online retailers listing them.

I did find one in Canada that ships to U.S.:

http://www.pawmusic.com/collections/headphones/products/superlux-hd631-professional-dj-headphones
Their price is $89 CAD (about the same in USD)

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 30
The usual superlux mods won't work because this is a closed can. I have a big head and pointy ears which is quite a problem.  The wings are actually quite effective for me since the upper part of my head doesn't hurt.  However I think that the pads are of very mediocre quality

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #22 of 30
I can vouch for these phones, ive got the HD-668B's and these 631's.

The 668's have quite a shallow but wide sound, meaning that a lot of music sounds very flat through them, there's no emphasis of the bass. having said that though, they are incredibly detailed and spacious sounding. The 668's are not meant to sound good, they are mean tto sound accurate, and they do. i use them for their intended purpose which is studio work.

The 631's immediately sound very different, mids sound a little muted through them, but this is balanced out with the treble, meaning that neither is more prominent than the other, the bass however is very pronounced. the 631's sound really nice though, they are rich, deep and powerful. having said that they do sound muddy compared to the 668's very muddy actually.
They are intended for DJing though, despite what some people might say about the physical design (not an issue, i never hold 1 can to my ear anyway, i simply move the other one off my other ear onto my head), anyway this is evident in the sound, the bass is punchy and isolation is pretty good.
Initially they are extremely comfortable, but after an hour or 2 they do ache, the actual headphones do touch your ear, they are quite shallow pads. de

If you want detailed crisp work headphones, the 668 is a good choice, if you want rich deep headphones then these are a good choice.

however, if you just want to listen to music, neither of them are very good, the 668's are too boring sounding, and the 631's are too deep, lacking precise mids. although the 631's will be better suited to this job.

these are work headphones, and whilst i cant comment on headphones for just listening to, i have a pair strapped to my head for like 3-4 hours a day, very often! that's my take anyway, others with different tastes might disagree with me, but it depends what you want them for.

they do look bloody cool though :)

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #25 of 30
I've had luck with pads made for the ATH-AD1000X AD2000X AD900X AD700X . All much thicker than stock.

I've also tried pads made for HD205 HD205II HD215 HD225 MDR-V700/Z700/V700DJ ATH-T2 ATHPRO700DJ hdj2000 hdj1000 hdj1500 and H9000 - but this is a tight squeeze - but once squeezed on, it worked well. The diameter of the cups is around 90mm, so something slightly bigger should work.

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 30
  Does the "Superlux HD 631 DJ" sound loud enough and good enough with a mp3 player, phone or PC/notebook or it requires portable DAC/Amplifier? 

Superlux HD631 is loud enough for listening with Ipod or Smartphone - no amp needed. More power is needed to use it in an actual DJ environment though. When I used to use these at the club, I had to use an external amp.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #28 of 30
...   The 631's immediately sound very different, mids sound a little muted through them, but this is balanced out with the treble, meaning that neither is more prominent than the other,
the bass however is very pronounced. the 631's sound really nice though, they are rich, deep and powerful.
having said that they do sound muddy compared to the 668's very muddy actually....

Hi !  sometimes they use some thick felts on the drivers.  
I had a pair of JVC once.
Peeling some of the felt away had a nice result with increased transparency in the midband.
I hate felts.
Grados do not use them and sound very crisp.  
Regards,  gino   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back