SUPERLUX HD-330 VS HD-668B ! Little Review.
Aug 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Nikalsson

New Head-Fier
Hi All 

I will try to write correctly because my English is not perfect.
Before 6 days finally I got the new Superlux HD-330 150 Ohm.

How I tested and Equipment.

I am also an owner of HD-668B. I had them from 4 months. I have also Zennnheiser HD-530 MARKII 300 Ohm, AKG K141 Monitor 600 Ohm. I use EMU 1212M sound card for listening music which is one of the best in world, top DAC-s CS4398 and par to par with LynxTwo. I have several others, Audigy 2 Platinium Pro, X-Fi Elite Pro, DAC Musiland Monitor 02 US, and two DAC-s made by one old technician who is audiophile too.
All headphones are tested many hours in different music genres.
I tested with Foobar2000 last version -> ASIO /More better sound than KS/ and True 100% tick silver cable. I tried many and many audiophile cables last 10 years, and this silver cable sound better in any aspect. No name, this cable are from military air base. I have only several meters more. And I will keep them in safe box until I am live. With this silver cable all music has better sound stage, more wide and deeper sound stage, better detail and every sound is as washed, clear and more clear. The most good side is instrument separation. Oh! Every instrument is perfectly separated and you can hear so easily exact location. I am in love with this cable. So warm… I tried so many cables, many big names, but when I plug this thick silver cable, every other cable just die, they sound muffed, woolly, cold, no separation, no LIFE in music – ugly.

The best sound is undoubtedly from EMU 1212M. In many review-s is on par with one of the best sound card LynxTWO and I see why. The sound is just amazing.
Musiland Monitor 02 US is not bad too but lose badly in several aspects. I like it but sound is more simple and you will miss detail in bass - flat. Highs are little harsh. And sound is more static. Music also just don't move and it's not feel so life. Anyway lets talk about Superlux HD-330.
I make all tests with: Vivaldi, Mozart, Handel and many more 24bit 96 and 192 Khz. Also many audiophile CD-s: FIM Audiophile Reference IV (HDCD), FIM Super Sounds III (XRCD24), HDEND Audiophile Air, Audiophile Female Voice, Stockfisch Records – Closer To The Music, TRUE AUDIOPHILE Best Of Groove Note, Various Artists - Master Female Audiophile2, True Stereo-Naim Records Audiophile, (Vocal Jazz) VA - Uncompressed World Vol.II - Audiophile Female Voices - 2010 and several others.

Compare HD-330 VS HD-668B

Please read this review: http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-superluxes-are-good-the-hd330-hd440-and-the-hd660/

and

http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-superluxes-are-good-the-hd330-hd440-and-the-hd660/2/

More here: http://technoodling.net/superlux-hd330-headphones-review/

I will say that HD-330 is better choice in any aspects compare to HD-668B. Comfort is better. In HD-330 there are no harsh high and they have much more accurate sounding. High are more refine, correct and sweet. I don't like boosted artificial high of HD-668B. They are not natural and sound too cold. Bass is amazing in HD-330, more deeper bass and go down and down, HD-668B had good punch bass, but bass can't go so down. I think under 80Hz HD-668B has big problem. In some way may be bass is too much in HD-330. But they are not burned yet.
The mids- Oh!!! Yes. This is the real thing. That I didn’t like the most in HD-668B. But here in HD-330 mids are fantastic. So refine, just beautiful. Little more forward sounding, but dipper sound stage. These headphones HD-330 sound much more rich, warm, refine, clear and PROPER and definitely more musical. I compared all headphones. The sound from HD-668B is more wider but it's too much, it's not real - lack focus, /edit/ also lack thickness. Focus is important. HD-668B sound more cold and flat and thin. Wide but flat in one dimension. High are harsh and not refine. Sound from HD-668B is not the real natural sound. There is difference in timbre. 
Superlux HD-330 are more correct, just better, warm, delicate sound, refine and more density. And even more dynamic. Strange, HD-668B are very dynamic, but HD-330 are better. Detail is still there. Don't get me wrong, HD-668B are very good headphones, but these HD-330 are better. The sound is like from higher class cans.
Both HD-668B and HD-330 must burn in first. HD-668B start sound good after 100-120 hours. Before that they was too cold, harsh and thin and too flat. Now after 200 hours they are much better.
My HD-330 have just 30 hours play. And there is a change in sound. Now they sound even better. They are more smooth with awesome detail. Even now they are better than HD-668B.Another interesting fact, 150 Ohm HD-330 are easier to drive compare to HD-668B. They sound louder than HD-668B. That is because HD-330 are more sensibly cans. I prefer the sound of HD-330 more than HD-660 /the same cans but closed/. Compare to my other cans... Well Superlux are better. Zennnheiser HD-530 MARKII are not bad, but they loosing in bass and not so wide sound stage. 
Excellent work Superlux.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 30
The soundstage is very good. Wide, deeper and more correct soundstage compare to HD-668B. The sound is little more forward than HD-668B.  The sound stage from HD-668B are little more wider and flat, but too much wider and that cause lack of focus in music. HD-330 are better.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:
The soundstage is very good. Wide, deeper and more correct soundstage compare to HD-668B. The sound is little more forward than HD-668B.  The sound stage from HD-668B are little more wider and flat, but too much wider and that cause lack of focus in music. HD-330 are better.

Thanks!

These sound absolutely perfect for what I was looking for. I have two more questions though.

Will these sound good coming out of an amp and how comfortable are they?

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:
Thanks!

These sound absolutely perfect for what I was looking for. I have two more questions though.

Will these sound good coming out of an amp and how comfortable are they?

Well, I tested all headphones and with Marantz PM-68 Amplifier too, and HD-330 sound more louder than HD-668B. They are 150 Ohm compare to 56 Ohm in HD-668B, in theory 56 Ohm must drive more easily, but HD-330 150 Ohm are more sensitive headphones and they sound louder. After 100 hours they sound even better /from beginning they sounded with more bass/ . They are more comfortable than HD-668B. Only my Sennheiser HD-530 Mark II are better in comfort. You may buy pads from Beyerdynamic 770 and comfort must be even better. The sound from these HD-330 are much more rich, dynamic, pleasant, refine and accurate. The mids are much much better than HD-668B,  beautiful bass, deeper bass full of detail, and pleasant high /not harsh and not artificial/. I take pleasure listening music with HD-330. Now my HD-668B are in box and I think for long time they will stay there. 

@hiddendh, I am not a gamer and I don't know which one to recommend for games, but for me HD-330 are better all around. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 30
Yes, Beyerlux is much better than Superlux
bigsmile_face.gif
 .  The name is dummy in my opinion, and I didn't expect much from such name. I read in another forum that they compare hd-330 with Beyerdynamic 880, the guy wrote that main difference is slight small soundstage. I never hear Beyer 880 and can't confirm that.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:
Yes, Beyerlux is much better than Superlux
bigsmile_face.gif
 .  The name is dummy in my opinion, and I didn't expect much from such name. I read in another forum that they compare hd-330 with Beyerdynamic 880, the guy wrote that main difference is slight small soundstage. I never hear Beyer 880 and can't confirm that.

I disliked my 681 because it was slightly tinny sounding but other then that I loved every other aspect.

The way I can describe its sound is a super bright spotlight made out of beautiful yet very delicate glass

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:
I disliked my 681 because it was slightly tinny sounding but other then that I loved every other aspect.

The way I can describe its sound is a super bright spotlight made out of beautiful yet very delicate glass

Yes, I read several review for 681 and his tinny sounding. That's why I choose HD-668B. But even 668B is bright for me. High are also sharp. HD-330 are everything but not tinny or sharp. I love this headphones. Every day when I listening music I am appraise high quality of the sound. Yesterday I order one more HD-330 for me. I will have 2 of them. If something happen to first one ... Really good headphones and this price is ridiculous. In my country about 40USD  / 3 working days / is not a small amount. But for me is cheap for this high quality sound. If it possible for you just give it a try. I am pretty sure that you will be very grateful.

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 30
I have owned the HD 668B for several months, and now I borrowed the HD 330 from a friend, and while I agree with most of the OP said, I must add that the HD 668B are faster and more detailed, and the HD 330 tend to sound too congested with complex music (breakcore, for example). I wouldn't say the HD 330 are better in any aspect, actually, I like the HD 668B better, despite its flaws. Just my 2 cents :wink:

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 30
I'd like to hear some thoughts about these 2 Headphones compared in terms of "Gaming". Which has the better soundstage and best for FPS (BF3/BF4) action. I hope someone can give us more gaming responses. 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back