Super Ultra Cheap Radio Shack $21.99 Headphone Amp
Oct 23, 2002 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Squalish

500+ Head-Fier
Was just pokin around Radio Shack's site and I found this. It's titled "3-way headphone volume booster", and appears to be a genuine headphone amp(I thought that retail was notoriously ignorant of this small market). Anyway, at $20, and pretty portable(takes 2 AA's), is it worth it as a lowend amp?

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 19
It's probably even worse than a boostaroo... think of what kind of parts they'd use at that price! You'd probably be better off biting the bullet and coughing up the dough for a DIY amp or an Airhead.

Oct 23, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 19
You know, I think that IS the Boostaroo.

In any case, you should probably steer very wide of that thing.

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 19
Yes it is a boostaroo. I own one and I it is an excellent little device!!! It is small and the two AA batteries last a long time. While it should not be confused with a high fidelity amplifier, it is very useful and a good value. If you don't want to spend hardly any money, it offers significant improvement over the unamplified output of many PCDPs or laptops. It is unlikely to perform as well as any of the DIY amplifier designs floating around head-fi, but it is cheaper, easier to acquire, and smaller than most DIY amps. Again, if you are looking for a high fidelity solution this ain't it. There is a place in the universe, however, for low end solutions and in that space, this is a good value.

Zurg.

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 19
HI: I had 2 of those rat shack amp daisy chained together and they served their purposed for a year or two. All they are are volume control that increases the volume. Them I came here and got a real amp that does more the just increase the volume. But if money is tight get one for it does help out the volume a lot.

Oct 24, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

DanG: think of what kind of parts they'd use at that price!

Yep, them 2c resistors don't resist anything like them 4c ones.
wink.gif
[Just jokes].

What's inside a boostaroo anyway? Just a couple of transistors? Or an op-amp?

Oct 24, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 19
Yes, as stated, this is the boostaroo (made in Australia). I auditioned it at Tyl's WOH Tour this past summer and while not to be confused with a real amp, it certainly is an improvement over a standalone PCDP. As mentioned, you can do a lot better by spending another $20-$60 bucks, but at $20, it's has its place.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurg
Yes it is a boostaroo...it is an excellent little device!!! It is small and the two AA batteries last a long time. While it should not be confused with a high fidelity amplifier, it is very useful and a good value. If you don't want to spend hardly any money, it offers significant improvement over the unamplified output of many PCDPs or laptops. It is unlikely to perform as well as any of the DIY amplifier designs floating around head-fi, but it is cheaper, easier to acquire, and smaller than most DIY amps. Again, if you are looking for a high fidelity solution this ain't it. There is a place in the universe, however, for low end solutions and in that space, this is a good value. -Zurg.

Ditto. I love mine. It's taken a licking and kept on ticking. And you can't buy a CMOY made by someone else for US$20. Quote:

What about using it to compair cans? plug in 3 at a time and compair or does it work like that?

It's great for sharing audio devices, such as a portable DVD player or laptop on a plane. Always keep a spare pair of MX500's in my bag for an attractive person in the next seat
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 19
I've seen basic cmoys go for $30/40 bucks. I say splurge.
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 19
Any mods available for this thing? Replacing wire with silver, caps, etc.
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Check the qualia mini meet impressions thread - with the right cans (that being the KSC-35 imho) the boostaroo can be used with no shame. And yes that 3-output gadget really works too. AND apparently it won't be stopped and confiscated at JFK - radio shack has an "in" with the Dept. of Homeland Security. Just talk to my friend - he did offer to show them how the cmoy worked, but they said "STEP AWAY FROM THE DEVICE SIR" and took it away.

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Just talk to my friend - he did offer to show them how the cmoy worked, but they said "STEP AWAY FROM THE DEVICE SIR" and took it away.

That's why I won't travel with my PPA amp. Not worth the risk and too expensive to be confiscated.

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Any mods available for this thing? Replacing wire with silver, caps, etc.

There's a custom power cord option for home use on the mains. Works great!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back