Super-T broke my AKG K1000!
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Posts
4,141
Likes
419
My left speaker is dead. I have no idea why. I have been using the Super-T for a while (2 months) and today I left it connected to the amp for a couple of hours (amp and source on) and when I came back, all of sudden the left earspeaker was dead.

I then took my AKG K1000 home and connected to the Dynamight (thanks to Moon Audio) and the left channel is still dead. I'm really upset. I didn't do anything and I treat all of my stuff with a lot of care (anyone who watches me demo their stuff at a meet can attest to this fact).

Could this be a leakage issue? Will AKG service my headphone (they were brand new when I got them)? (10364)
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 44

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Posts
4,141
Likes
419
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
How old are the phones? Any chance of a power surge happening??


2 months. Though I don't have power filtering going on, the amp and source is connected to a basic power strip so I doubt it....I'm really bummed...
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 44

Xanadu777

Member of the Trade: Headphile
Headphone Modder Extraordinaire
Joined
Aug 12, 2003
Posts
1,257
Likes
11
The coil wire probably came off the post, send them to AKG. I can verify the same thing happened to another pair but it took just 2 weeks rather than two months. AKG mentioned quality control as a reason for stopping production of K1000's, this is one of the issues they have/had.
 
Mar 2, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 44

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Posts
1,145
Likes
42
Location
San Jose, CA
My K1000 has been back to AKG twice (I haven't even received it yet), and I haven't even played an entire CD with it. The first is buzzing on the left driver, then it came back with distortion on the right driver.
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 44

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Posts
4,141
Likes
419
Guys, an update as I vented in another post...the left earspeaker is dead and is going to cost me 310 bucks shipped back fixed. The technician was really nice but couldn't discern exactly what happened.

I'm wondering if the Super-T's DC leakage caused a spike which fried the drivers. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening again?
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 44
Joined
Oct 25, 2005
Posts
691
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Guys, an update as I vented in another post...the left earspeaker is dead and is going to cost me 310 bucks shipped back fixed. The technician was really nice but couldn't discern exactly what happened.

I'm wondering if the Super-T's DC leakage caused a spike which fried the drivers. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening again?



Really sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Super-T. However, can you enlighten us with more detail about the "fix-it" process? Did you call a 1-800 number? Your local AKG dealer? How long will they be gone? Is it covered under warranty? Did you even receive a warranty card or something when you bought them new? Are they going to replace both drivers??

thanx
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 44

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Posts
5,799
Likes
327
Location
East Coast
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
I'm wondering if the Super-T's DC leakage caused a spike which fried the drivers. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening again?


I'd post this question in the DIY forum. The K1000s aren't very sensitive, so there had to be some serious DC on the line to fry the driver.
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 44

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Posts
4,141
Likes
419
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Really sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the Super-T. However, can you enlighten us with more detail about the "fix-it" process? Did you call a 1-800 number? Your local AKG dealer? How long will they be gone? Is it covered under warranty? Did you even receive a warranty card or something when you bought them new? Are they going to replace both drivers??

thanx




Actually a fellow HeadFier was very nice and gave me a phone number to someone in the parts department. After calling, the person forwarded me to the technician that works on all headphones.

I traded for them, they are not under warranty so I had to pay them. The technician checked the right ear speaker and it is in PERFECT condition. It was only the left earspeaker that seemed to be effected.

I really don't know what to do at this point since I don't know how it broke.
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 44

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
Joined
Feb 1, 2004
Posts
4,141
Likes
419
Another update, so after reading Michael G's original warning, I believe I might be the first victim of it.

I used a voltimeter to measure the outputs of the Super T when turned on with no load. They is quite a fair amount of DC bias (DC, set to 20V, I see 0.02 and and 0.09 from the left and right channel). I suspect when I left it on, this DC bias burned out my left earspeaker.

It looks using the T-amp with the AKG K1000 is indeed dangerous (about 300/per earspeaker dangerous). Well I can't say I wasn't warned...

The only way to use the T-amp would be to have some kind of capacitor or DC null circuit between the T-amp and AKG K1000 to prevent damage.

Uggh, this sucks, now I don't know what to use with my K1000's!
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 44

PsychoZX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Posts
3,099
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Uggh, this sucks, now I don't know what to use with my K1000's!


Why not use your dynamight? I thought they sounded pretty good with a dynahi , i'd imagine they would be even better balanced out of a dynamight.
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 44

jamesp

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
1,062
Likes
33
Location
Lockport, NY
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
My K1000 has been back to AKG twice (I haven't even received it yet), and I haven't even played an entire CD with it. The first is buzzing on the left driver, then it came back with distortion on the right driver.



How long is the turn around time?
 
Mar 7, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 44

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Posts
1,145
Likes
42
Location
San Jose, CA
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesp
How long is the turn around time?


1 day, because I was bitching as hell (this is a new pair). With shipping to and fro, it took a week each time. I received the pair last week; AKG replaced both drivers with a matched pair. Sounds good now
k1000smile.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top