Super fi pro 5 burn in
Nov 28, 2007 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jessipoo

100+ Head-Fier
I know this is totally subjective and the answers will be mixed, but I'm all ears.

So I used them maybe total of 10 hours, more or less, probably more.

I find as time goes on, I like the sound quality more and more, the bass is coming out a bit

I'm wondering if with the burn in:

1)more clarity
2)more bass

and another random question while I have your attention

I have David Guetta on my iPod nano 1st gen (I know terrible sound quality, but I love the software-device integration, planning on getting and iRiver 3rd gen when it comes out..)

problem is it's encoded at 192kbps, which is a really good format for an adequate listening experience, but sometimes the bass is unclear and it sounds like it would when you force crappy 5$ earbuds to perform with bass.. I don't know any other way to explain this... there other songs too that do this.. may I ask why?

House and all the other songs sound fine on my computer (5.1 Logitech speakers)

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 12
to describe the bass issue a bit more, it's like the driver can't handle the bass and it just sounds terrible (not all songs) like vibrating and not clear (it's there on some songs, some not, maybe it's just how the song is made, which would be weird though..)

I don't know if this is cuz of the actual terrible audio quality of the ipod, cuz it can't be my earphones they are new, and it can't be the mp3 files itself...

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 12
You really aren't going to see much burn in with armatures. More likely its just you becoming acclimated to them.

As far as the bass issue... Sounds like clipping to me. You don't have the EQ enabled do you? The ipod EQ is notorious for causing clipping.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessipoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to describe the bass issue a bit more, it's like the driver can't handle the bass and it just sounds terrible (not all songs) like vibrating and not clear (it's there on some songs, some not, maybe it's just how the song is made, which would be weird though..)

I don't know if this is cuz of the actual terrible audio quality of the ipod, cuz it can't be my earphones they are new, and it can't be the mp3 files itself...

My first set did that exact same thing for the first 10-20 hours then it totally cleared up. I was ready to toss them they sounded so bad at first. Always wondered if a foreign body (particle of dirt, or something) had worked it's way into the earpiece, and took time to work it's way out.

The second set for my 14 yr old sounded great right out of the box.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

I know this is totally subjective and the answers will be mixed, but I'm all ears.

So I used them maybe total of 10 hours, more or less, probably more.

I find as time goes on, I like the sound quality more and more, the bass is coming out a bit

I'm wondering if with the burn in:

1)more clarity
2)more bass

and another random question while I have your attention

I have David Guetta on my iPod nano 1st gen (I know terrible sound quality, but I love the software-device integration, planning on getting and iRiver 3rd gen when it comes out..)

problem is it's encoded at 192kbps, which is a really good format for an adequate listening experience, but sometimes the bass is unclear and it sounds like it would when you force crappy 5$ earbuds to perform with bass.. I don't know any other way to explain this... there other songs too that do this.. may I ask why?

House and all the other songs sound fine on my computer (5.1 Logitech speakers)

People will tell you Super.Fi 5 Pro's armatures don't burn in, and it's probably true compared to dynamic drivers; however, what I believe burns in is the substantial silver-plated copper wire in the SF's cable. I just did a pretty rigorous burn-in test of a brand-new SF5Pro, and there's definitely a change for the better after a few days' burn-in. A bit of a glare/tizzyness in treble goes away, and bass becomes more authoritative and defined.

Oh, yeah, your Nano has got to go.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, yeah, your Nano has got to go.

People bash the nano, but its really not THAT bad. In my books its passable.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People bash the nano, but its really not THAT bad. In my books its passable.

With an amp, perhaps. Without one it sounds absolutely horrible. No offense. I just have listened to a lot of mp3 players, and iPods rate at the very lowest end of SQ.

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 12
no I knew the ipod sucked. I had a Rio Carbon before til it broke (it was good build, I just got a hit by a car so it flung out of my hand and onto the pavement!)

the Rio had AMAZING sound quality, I'm so upset they aren't in the market anymore. They were really climbing up the mp3 player list.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really aren't going to see much burn in with armatures. More likely its just you becoming acclimated to them.

As far as the bass issue... Sounds like clipping to me. You don't have the EQ enabled do you? The ipod EQ is notorious for causing clipping.

I tried looking for sound clipping issues on the net, couldn't find it.

This is strange since my cheaper sony mdr-ex51 seem to handl the EQ way better, while the UE super fi pro 5 sound terrible EQed.. this is an issue with me since I NEED to EQ. I didn't think this would be an issue... um what now?

I'm not going to go throught the problem of sending it back, unfortunetly the ipod also lacks sound quality, and don't have custom EQ so I could reduce everything else a bit more.... Treble reducer isn't enough.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 12
physically, armatures do infact have diaphrams and anything physically moving could benefit from warming up and stretching. yes, it is a lot smaller with armatures, so i'd definitely agree that it clearly wouldnt need as much of a burn in, and some migh tnot need any at all, but as with any manufacturing process, there are slight differences in any parts.

regardless, does anyone have a reason not to leave it plugged in with pink noise at a decently loud volume over night with some silent breaks?

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

no I knew the ipod sucked. I had a Rio Carbon before til it broke (it was good build, I just got a hit by a car so it flung out of my hand and onto the pavement!)

the Rio had AMAZING sound quality, I'm so upset they aren't in the market anymore. They were really climbing up the mp3 player list.

Well more importantly, are you okay?

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well more importantly, are you okay?

ya lol

was like 2 years ago, what a shock. I came out completely okay, no scratches, no tears i my clothes (yay to corduroy!), just lost my mp3 player, which insurance did not cover, but that's fine.

I was so shocked all I cared about was my mp3 player being busted :S people were asking me if I was okay and I was just staring at my mp3 player.. I know I sound dumb now but if you were in that situation well.. you would act a bit strange too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back