super fi 5pros housing cracking
Mar 24, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Seems like a batch problem to me
confused.gif

To Beedee, WhiteShadow, jterp7, sisenor: When did you guys get your Super.Fi's?

Milkpowder, got mine thru Musicians Friend/Guitar Center the first week of this year in Jan.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #17 of 54
seems like an isolated faulty batch to me, I've had them for a few months now and they are very durable. I mountain bike and am very active with them too, though I do take care.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #18 of 54
I bought the clear ones from Guitar Center when they first came out and I haven't had any problems. I'm not especially hard on them but I leave them laying around on my desk and toss them into my briefcase in the soft leather case when I'm travelling.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 54
Not just a US problem, mine have cracked in the left driver housing, i never throw mine in my bag and always use the metal case to keep them in. A bit of a pain in the arse as I have to use my crappy sonys for now, but hopefully they will be replaced under warrenty.

Rob

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #22 of 54
No problems with mine. Purchased new from Guitar Center in Nov. 2005 and have well over 100 hours on them.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #23 of 54
looks like its the early 06 batches that are affected as my first ones as well as 2nd were within Jan-March...arggh...okay this sounds a bit strange but for those of you who have working 5pros can I get the packaging from you so I can send it back for a refund...and yes i threw it away by accident the first time..not knowing it would break AGAIN(for the RMA i swapped packaging to send it back) -_-

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #24 of 54
oh no i just got a pair and they're being delivered to me as we speak, i hope i don't have this problem cause from all the reviews i've read they sound perfect for me. by the way, how long does the warrenty last for?

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #25 of 54
warranty is 2 years but if they crack within months who really cares...looks like i'm going back to shure (had e3c's before)

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #26 of 54
OMG... The same thing happened to me on a flight to Berlin last weekend. I was in the process of changing my foam tips and the right ear casing came apart in my hands.

I sent an email to the guys at UE and they said contact the company where I bought them, which happens to be the main distributor in the UK (Handheld Audio). They asked me to bring everything in (i.e. case, attenuator, cleaning tool, etc). Luckily, I only live 2 miles away from them, so I'm hoping that I will get a pair of brand new headphones and won't have to wait for them to get repaired.

Sucks though... I mean, what happens if the same thing happens again. Will I be able to get them replaced as well?!

BTW... I bought them back in Oct-05 and only the housing is covered for the 2 year warranty.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #27 of 54
wow you and that other guy with the e4's are lucky to live so close to the distributors..lol the fact that we are all having the same problem and so far I'm the only one who's had it happen twice means either one batch had major issues or major quality control problems there, it sucks that i didn't hear any reports of cracking problems when i first bought it, choosing it rather than the dependable shures -_-

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 54
I would say very lucky
biggrin.gif

Mine cracked along the seam and happened while I was trying to get the twist the plastic piece of the foam ear tips off (i.e. torsional stress).

As a company, UE are really good when it comes to company service and I would buy their products again. However, if I was a first time buyer, I would be reluctant to buy the SP5’s even though they are probably one of the best sounding headphones in their league.

I upgraded to the SP5’S from a pair of Etymotic ER6i’s (which stoppped working) that I got from Ebay. I'm so glad I spent the few extra dollars and bought it from a reputable dealer.

BTW...As you guy's probably know, Shure are releasing a triple driver iem (Shure E500). There's a rumour that UE are going to release a new model to compete with this new product, although I'm not sure when. I'm thinking of selling my replacement SF5's and upgrading to one of these... time and build quality permitting!

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkij
I would say very lucky
biggrin.gif

Mine cracked along the seam and happened while I was trying to get the twist the plastic piece of the foam ear tips off (i.e. torsional stress).

As a company, UE are really good when it comes to company service and I would buy their products again. However, if I was a first time buyer, I would be reluctant to buy the SP5’s even though they are probably one of the best sounding headphones in their league.

I upgraded to the SP5’S from a pair of Etymotic ER6i’s (which stoppped working) that I got from Ebay. I'm so glad I spent the few extra dollars and bought it from a reputable dealer.

BTW...As you guy's probably know, Shure are releasing a triple driver iem (Shure E500). There's a rumour that UE are going to release a new model to compete with this new product, although I'm not sure when. I'm thinking of selling my replacement SF5's and upgrading to one of these... time and build quality permitting!

It's no rumor, the UE Triple X is due out in June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back