Super.fi 5 pro seal difficulties
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
I just recieved a pair of UE super.fi 5 pro's and have having a lot of trouble getting a good seal. Both the bi-flange and the large silicone tips work well in my right ear, but nothing seems to want to stay sealed in my left. Any recommendations, or is it just my screwy ears?

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 20
i used mine on a 7 hour flight recently with no problems.

have you tried using the foamies?

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i used mine on a 7 hour flight recently with no problems.

have you tried using the foamies?

Did they isolate well on your flight? Yes, the foamies create the best seal for me. Biflange creates a decent seal also, but they pain after a little while. All other tips are very comfortable, but none isolate as well as I expected.

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by boss
Did they isolate well on your flight? Yes, the foamies create the best seal for me. Biflange creates a decent seal also, but they pain after a little while. All other tips are very comfortable, but none isolate as well as I expected.

they did fine. i mostly watched movies and played video games.

the secret to getting a good seal with the sf5p is actually the memory wire. try to get a decent seal by pushing the sf5p in with your fingers and holding. while holding in place bend the memory wire aroun your ears. this helps hold the seal in place with the wire instead of just suction.

compared to ety's and shures and even the sony ex** series, the sf5p is more of a "sealed earbud" than a true canalphone. i get best results with the lightest of seals at the ear opening.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 20
I also got a problem, my right ear pushes back the tips, so even if it cannot stay correctly sealed for more than 2min.Foam works a little better but is itchy after a while.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 20
This may sound wierd but try licking your finger and then putting the spit on the silicone and then try putting them in. Remember, Super.fis don't go IN the ear, they like to hang out on the outer edge so don't force them in otherwise they'll push themselves out from being too big.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 20
This is the problem with non-custom IEMs.
It means your ear isn't suited for IEMs. Same thing happened with me but I used that mod I made and it worked fine for me (HJE50, FX55).

Mar 4, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 20
There are a few companies who will make you custom fitting tips for use on non-custom IEMs like your Super.fi's. Hopefully someone around here has a link?

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #14 of 20
For me, a little weird yes
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 20
First, you have to clean your ears -- REALLY WELL! Use a cotton swab, and there is special wax removal fluid in the "drug" department of Wal*Mart, most grocery stores, or an actual drug store if you want to get them very clean.

Having clean ear canals is NOT important for health, and may be a bit counter. Anyway, be sure you don't touch the ear drum with ANYTHING.

As a touch up, and as a final cleaning before inserting the canal phones I use a pen cap. I scrape the sides of the ear canal, then dispose of any wax or dry skin cells on a tissue. There is no way I can get to the ear drum in my ears with a pen cap. Yes, I am writing about a cap of a Bic pen or a generic version. Most generic versions are better as they are not as pointed and are thicker and stiffer. It is important this final cleaning be done just prior to inserting the canal-phones, as your ears will quickly fill with wax.

Next, lubricate the flanges on the right canal-phone. I use spit, but I suppose K-Y or anything similar would work, as would saline for your eyes (contact lenses) or nose.

Now, this is the part people miss -- reach over to your right ear behind your head with your LEFT arm. Grab the top rear of the ear and pull it back and up. The direction is about 10 or 11 O'Clock if viewing the right ear straight on. This straightens the ear canal, making it possible to get the canal-phone where it needs to be located. This is the same for ear-plugs used for hearing protection, as in while shooting. They MUST BE FULLY INSERTED!

Now, with a steady pressure, insert the canal phone until the last flange is even with the ear canal, or just a BIT further in.

Lubricate the left flanges.

Then do the same with the other ear. Grab the left ear with the right hand, with the arm behind the head. Once again, pull back and up. The direction is about 1 or 2 O'Clock if the left ear is viewed straight on. Insert with a steady pressure until the flanges are fully inside the ear canal.

Rotate the drivers as needed, and route the wire. Clip the wire to your shirt and you are done.

When removing the flanges, use the fingernails and try to break the seal while removing them. Pull SLOWLY until the seal breaks, or they are out. If you yank them out, you could damage your eardrums.

CLEAN THE FLANGES. Leaving any ear wax in the flanges will allow the wax to get into the filters.

I know that people have discussed reusing the filters after cleaning them, but I wonder if all of the wax can be removed with water. I would be concerned about getting wax or water into the drivers. This would ruin the driver, and thus, the canal-phones.

If you choose to take the risk, I would STRONGLY recommend using Isopropyl alcohol. You want it to be 99+% pure, and should not contain water or camphor. In other words, don't consider using rubbing alcohol. This will remove the rest of the wax, and should displace the water.

Alcohol will evaporate out of the filter MUCH faster than water, but because of the construction of the filter, I doubt either will evaporate in a reasonable amount of time. I would want to let the alcohol have a day to evaporate.

Now that I scrape my outer canal with the pen cap, I never mess up a filter, and rarely see wax in the flanges, except on very long flights where not only are they in for a long time, but occasionally have to be removed to speak with a flight attendant or purser.

For me, it just isn't worth it, and I would not consider risking my 'phones in order to save a small amount of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back