Super.fi 5 pro & IPOD
Jun 19, 2005 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

trose49

Banned
Just a quick note for super.fi users with an IPOD. Do not be afraid to use your eq settings with these phones. Typically the IPOD EQ is not very good and only ads distortion to you listening experience. This is not true with the super.fi's I'm not sure why but the same settings that would cause mass distorion with e3c's does not do the same with the super.fi's.

I highly reccommend the "JAZZ" setting as this slightly increases the highs that people are describing as rolled off. I know people feel you should not have to correct the eq-ing of the headphone but IMO it's the IPOD as the source that has always been know for lacking low notes among other things including the crappy eq.

Try the "JAZZ" setting with super.fi's and you will notice a huge improvment and NO distortion.

Hope this Helps!

Jun 19, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Is it possible to set a custom EQ setting in itunes as the preset for all the songs on an ipod?

I don't think it is.

Anyway, "treble booster" is easily my favorite setting for these canal phones with my ipod. For everything else, I use jasper's EQ setting.

-Matt

Jun 19, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 4
I have faith in EQing a portable...I would never do that with my home (dedicated) system.

With the Rio Karma and SuperFi the sound is decent. I also use the SuperFi with the iPod and the Rio Nitrus. The EQ on the iPod is usually the "Jazz" because that is the ONLY mode in which I find the iPod "listenable".

With the Rio there are more options with EQ...more flexibility. I dont want to turn this into an iPod vs. Rio Karma pissin contest but I believe that IEMs work better out of the Rio Karma.

Straight out of my home setup (micromega T-Duo -> Dynahi) the SuperFi's flaws are glaringly obvious. It has a congested sound...like it was struggling to breathe...or keep up with the music...and doesn't seem to live up to the expectations that I had from looking at the price tag. They are not bad...but I still prefer the comfort of the E3 (shure) and the sound of the E4 (Shure) and the detail of the ER4 (Etymotics) over the comfort/fit and sound of the SuperFi.

Of course...the "JAZZ" setting seems to make every headphone and IEM sound good out of the iPod because they all sound like crap without this setting. The EQ on the iPod is REALLY poor
frown.gif
Thank goodness it is a gift for my dad...I couldnt live with it...despite the large storage space. I would rather carry 2 or 3 Rio karmas than one iPod.

Seriously...

I think my dad will like the SuperFi + iPod combo and I dont think I will be telling him how much they cost
tongue.gif
Maybe sneak them into the iPod box as "stock" headphones...

Yeah...fun times
eggosmile.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Of course...the "JAZZ" setting seems to make every headphone and IEM sound good out of the iPod because they all sound like crap without this setting. The EQ on the iPod is REALLY poor Thank goodness it is a gift for my dad...I couldnt live with it...despite the large storage space. I would rather carry 2 or 3 Rio karmas than one iPod.

LOL, so when you switch songs, you switch RIOs? That's a true audiophile, just like people switching headphones for specific songs
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back