Super.Fi 5 EB bass compared to UE10/E500/ACS/...?
Aug 15, 2006 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been using UE Super.Fi 5 EB for about a year now and am very pleased by their quality and quantity of bass reproduction.

However, I'm thinking about upgrading to custom IEMs (or the Shure E500) - Head-Fi makes me do these things!
wink.gif

I don't think I can live anymore with a lot less bass than the EB's deliver (so Etymotic isn't for me, I assume).

I'm using my EB's mostly unamped, straight from my iAudio X5L or Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA card. Sometimes they're plugged into a PA2V2 out of a Echo Gina (1st generation) card. I'd like to use my future IEM also without amp, if possible.

Can anyone recommend any of the upper-class IEMs that would satisfy my lust for bass? I read that the E500s do have better bass than the UE10, and that the ACS T2 are very nice, too... The UE-Hybrid don't seem to be the best idea for me, since they're 'open' and don't provide enough isolation. Should I wait for the UE XXX? Or should I consider other brands, like Westone or Sensaphonics, too?

I'd be grateful for any comments, concerning any brand of IEM, and how they behave in the bass regions.

Aug 15, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt
I've been using UE Super.Fi 5 EB for about a year now and am very pleased by their quality and quantity of bass reproduction.

However, I'm thinking about upgrading to custom IEMs (or the Shure E500) - Head-Fi makes me do these things!
wink.gif

I don't think I can live anymore with a lot less bass than the EB's deliver (so Etymotic isn't for me, I assume).

I'm using my EB's mostly unamped, straight from my iAudio X5L or Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA card. Sometimes they're plugged into a PA2V2 out of a Echo Gina (1st generation) card. I'd like to use my future IEM also without amp, if possible.

Can anyone recommend any of the upper-class IEMs that would satisfy my lust for bass? I read that the E500s do have better bass than the UE10, and that the ACS T2 are very nice, too... The UE-Hybrid don't seem to be the best idea for me, since they're 'open' and don't provide enough isolation. Should I wait for the UE XXX? Or should I consider other brands, like Westone or Sensaphonics, too?

I'd be grateful for any comments, concerning any brand of IEM, and how they behave in the bass regions.

I have the UE-5c's, and they're the bassiest of the UE custom IEM's, as well as the most affordable. I'd suggest getting those, but at least waiting until the UE XXX comes out to evaluate from there.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

I see... I thought the UE-Hybrid had more bass, but maybe I'm reading the graphs wrong? The 5c's look a lot like the UE10 from what I see in the frequency response curve:

UE-10
UE-10_PRO_chart.gif

UE-5c
UE5c_noeq_chart.gif

UE-Hybrid
UE-5_Hybrid_Chart.gif

I've never listened to the UE Hybrid, and I don't really feel that graphs provide an accurate sample, but since they are open and not as isolating, I don't think the bass will be as "punchy" as the UE-5c's would be. As a owner of the 5c's, and someone who likes having bass (though not quite a basshead), I think the 5c's would be great for you.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the graph, TheSloth - I've seen this response curve for the EBs for the first time. So I guess it's pretty much impossible getting any higher-class IEMs that have similar bass, I assume?

(For the math: +6dB means double perceived volume, IIRC? But don't know if that's correct for the whole spectrum.
basshead.gif
)

BTW: I still turn up the 60Hz EQ of my X5L to +6db, and have BBE Mach3Bass at level 9 - guess this makes me a slight basshead...

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

BBE Mach3Bass at level 9 - guess this makes me a slight basshead...

No, mate, this makes you INSANE !!
blink.gif
wink.gif
I like bass... I like low frequencies, hell I listen to SunnO))) for goodness sake. But I had the EB's for about 18 minutes before they went up for sale. Bloated, muddy, entirely non-musical (yeah I know, listening to SunnO))) and musicality doesn't exactly top the list of requirements)... I think I can quite safely echo what TheSloth said, nothing would come close.

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 14
Ah, a fellow X5er and drone enthusiast... I take the 'insane' as a compliment.
smily_headphones1.gif

The EBs don't sound particularly muddy to me - maybe you got a bad pair? My first pair of EBs was bad, too - I RMA'ed them and got a much better sounding pair in exchange.

I know, it always could sound better, that's why I consider upgrading a bit. But compared to Ety ER-6, Sennheiser CX300 (and some other cheap IEMs that I have experience with) the EBs don't sound muddy to me...

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Please do
wink.gif

Maybe I did have a "bad" pair, bottom line is, if that's the quantity of bass you enjoy you'll be disappointed with any other IEM I've experienced, albeit that I've only listened to SFP5's, SF3S, E4's, UM2's and FS1's...

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

The EBs don't sound particularly muddy to me - maybe you got a bad pair? My first pair of EBs was bad, too - I RMA'ed them and got a much better sounding pair in exchange.

I know, it always could sound better, that's why I consider upgrading a bit. But compared to Ety ER-6, Sennheiser CX300 (and some other cheap IEMs that I have experience with) the EBs don't sound muddy to me...

I agree that the EB's are not "muddy," but the complete lack of balance between bass and the other frequencies totally colors the listening experience. Maybe it's better to emphasize that the mids and highs are "anemic and thin." In my estimation, this is fine for some kinds of music, e.g., car bass, drum 'n' bass, some other types of electronica, and maybe some subgenres of hip hop, but for most types of music it just doesn't sound right (to me). I see the EB's as a kind of "niche" product to be brought out for some types of music, but not for most types.

I recently purchased Shure E500s, and I actually expected a greater quantity of bass than these exhibit. But the QUALITY of the bass is superb, and for me, that's crucial.

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGreenberg
I recently purchased Shure E500s, and I actually expected a greater quantity of bass than these exhibit. But the QUALITY of the bass is superb, and for me, that's crucial.

I remember reading that the Shure E5c do have more bass than the E500s, but the quality isn't as good - right? (But since the E5c are twin-driver universal fit IEMs I wouldn't consider them an upgrade, anyway...) The E500 and UE-5c are looking better and better, maybe I have to cut down a bit on my bass habits....

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

The UE-Hybrid don't seem to be the best idea for me, since they're 'open' and don't provide enough isolation. I'd be grateful for any comments, concerning any brand of IEM, and how they behave in the bass regions.

The UE Hybrids offer just SLIGHTLY less iso/reduction than the EB's. (Hybrids - 12 EBs - 16) but, the actual FIT is better and therefore, I would think that the punch is very much intact. It also states in their FAQ that the EB's sound is based on their Hybrid model.

I never read anything about the Hybrids from a user. I reeeeally wanted a pair but, I just couldn't find any descriptions of how well they handled onstage monitoring.

Aug 16, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 14
I owned a pair of UE Super.fi 5 Pro and got myself a set of generic UE 10 pros to find out how big the difference is.
After hearing the 10 Pro I sold my 5 Pros and ordered a pair. The 10 Pro are much more natural sounding with a lot of detail and a supreme clarity. They still have bass but in a more direct punchier way. The 5 Pro sounded nice with waek sources since the added a lot of bass and warmth to the music but with a good source and a bass heavy production they overdid it IMO.

Aug 16, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker71
The UE Hybrids offer just SLIGHTLY less iso/reduction than the EB's. (Hybrids - 12 EBs - 16) but, the actual FIT is better and therefore, I would think that the punch is very much intact.

This sounds reasonable - but one of the reasons for thinking about an upgrade was to get even better isolation than I already have. The ~16dB of the EBs isn't bad, but still a far way from blocking everything I don't want to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back