Super-comfy open phones for BIG head
May 2, 2004 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shanebryant

New Head-Fier
Man, I'm sorry about another thread like this but.....
icon10.gif

I've got a big noggin and I've had those fancy-schmancy (trendy) Sony DJ700 for a bit now and they hurt my ears SO MUCH. Like a vice. I'm thinking about what to replace them with and I had previously settled on Sony V6's, but now I'm thinking about going open instead of closed, but still I want them to completely cover my ears without pressing on them or vicing my head. Any help?
confused.gif

May 2, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 13
If you had been considering closed, I wholeheartedly recommend A500's. (though at $115 shipped they're gonna be a little bit more $ than the V6)

May 2, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by eMpAtHy
isn't the a500 closed? i think hes looking for open headphones.

he did so they were closed.

May 2, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Let's recap my needs: Big head, medium-to-big ears, really comfy, $100 or less, really damn good sound. Lastly I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick to Sony, Sennheiser, or Grados if they fit but I kinda doubt that.

May 2, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shanebryant
Let's recap my needs: Big head, medium-to-big ears, really comfy, $100 or less, really damn good sound. Lastly I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick to Sony, Sennheiser, or Grados if they fit but I kinda doubt that.

You're not going to get all of that for under $100, unless you have a lax definition of "really damn good sound". Your best bet is probably a used HD580, with a amp later. Unamped... CD780s/A500s might fit the bill, however the cd780's earpad sits ON your ear, very little pressure though.

May 2, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Ugh, I hate text, misunderstandings come too easily
biggrin.gif

As far as sound goes, an audiophile might pay $500 (or more) for cans, and my girlfriend wouldn't pay $30 for a pair. Now yes, the $500 set will sound badass, and the $30 Walmart pair will sound like butt, but there are really good headphones out there in the $100 range, I just don't know which are best for me.
biggrin.gif

One last thing, I'm talking about the price I can get them for, not list price. Like they may be $150 list, but you can get them new on eBay for $100, ya know?

Sorry guys, I'm a poor person, with ta$te. It's tough. I don't require audiophile sound, I'm far from that, but I want to get my money's worth you know?

May 2, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
HD580's are very comfortable once you bend back the headband a little.

TEAM BIG-HEAD!
580smile.gif

Aye, the 650's are vice grips until you bend them a bit. Then you don't even know they're there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back