:sunrise: Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #137 of 192
Looks like I missed another great Head-Fi event. Many thanks to all who posted pics and impressions. I'd love to hear from anyone else who had an opportunity to hear the newly upgraded Woo Audio WA5-LE.

Until next time... happy listening to all!

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #139 of 192
  I envy you very. there never is nothing like in my city....

I hear you there. I had to make the flight for the 2200 miles to the meet. Nothing like it near me either!

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #140 of 192

I envy you very. there never is nothing like in my city....

I hear you there. I had to make the flight for the 2200 miles to the meet. Nothing like it near me either!

That's dedication!  
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #141 of 192
Hi guys, I just realised that I missed out on the chance to try a bunch of awesome in-ears at the meet. I think the guy at a stand-up table in the corner of the Questyle room at the meet had his in-ears out for people to try, but silly me I just called him over for a question on the Questyle rigs, not realising he was doing a member showcase. He's a tall man wearing shorts I think, and I don't know his name (@warrenpchi you probably know). I'm interested to get some sub-$250'ish in-ears (just the 'tube shape' sort but not the 'hearing aid shape' ones). So maybe somebody can put me in touch with him so I can try them at the next meet. Or maybe one of you can post your impressions on some of the 'tube shape' ones here that I can consider. Here's his photo from another meet (on the right):

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #142 of 192
  Hi guys, I just realised that I missed out on the chance to try a bunch of awesome in-ears at the meet. I think the guy at a stand-up table in the corner of the Questyle room at the meet had his in-ears out for people to try, but silly me I just called him over for a question on the Questyle rigs, not realising he was doing a member showcase. He's a tall man wearing shorts I think, and I don't know his name (@warrenpchi you probably know). I'm interested to get some sub-$250'ish in-ears (just the 'tube shape' sort but not the 'hearing aid shape' ones). So maybe somebody can put me in touch with him so I can try them at the next meet. Or maybe one of you can post your impressions on some of the 'tube shape' ones here that I can consider. Here's his photo from another meet (on the right):

http://www.head-fi.org/u/399714/moedawg140

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #143 of 192

Yup, that's Moe (a.k.a. Maurice).  You totally missed that.  Not only did he have his own IEMs, but he was also curating nearly two dozen IEMs that Jude brought over.  It was quite a sight to see (and hear).  You should totally PM him!  
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #144 of 192

Yup, that's Moe (a.k.a. Maurice).  You totally missed that.  Not only did he have his own IEMs, but he was also curating nearly two dozen IEMs that Jude brought over.  It was quite a site to see (and hear).  You should totally PM him!  
smile.gif

Jude even lent him his Noble Prestige to show to people!

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #146 of 192
  hi guys
i know its two different things but any comparisions between liquid carbon and wa8 prototype...looks like liquid carbon is being more appreciated than wa8.

Quote:

Not by me... tubes are tubes, no substitute.

The LC has gotten much well-deserved praise, but it just didn't have the gut emotional evolvement, ambiance, and richness of the WA8. 
the WA8 blew it away in my book, no exaggeration.

But we have to keep in mind the price points: 
***The WA8 will be $1500 with built-in 32/384 DAC (LC does not have a DAC)
*** the LC is only $600 or so now, but price will go up after the intro period per Alex Cavalli.

And to be sure, my opinion is not based simply on tube versus SS, but the actual listening experience. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #148 of 192
i haven't heard either of them but just the cost comparison of the two(liquid carbon + descent DAC + interconnects + balanced cable which may be not all that important but why suppress the urge) shows that if someone like me if starting from scratch will be better off with wa8.
only one thing is haunting me that they might increase the price of wa8 on launch :frowning2:

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #149 of 192
i haven't heard either of them but just the cost comparison of the two(liquid carbon + descent DAC + interconnects + balanced cable which may be not all that important but why suppress the urge) shows that if someone like me if starting from scratch will be better off with wa8.
only one thing is haunting me that they might increase the price of wa8 on launch :frowning2:

Agree with what you said about the WA8- but I just talked to Jack Woo last week at the SF Head-Fi event.

He was running a Wa8 prototype, and the DAC was sitting OUTSIDE the unit, connected by USB.
Jack explained that he knows how he will merge the DAC and amp, and is on the verge of it, and the price would still be $1500.

In other words, he seems pretty confident that he has worked out the glitches,
such that he would not encounter more obstacles that would increase his $1500 price point.
Fingers Xed

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #150 of 192
Agree with what you said about the WA8- but I just talked to Jack Woo last week at the SF Head-Fi event.

He was running a Wa8 prototype, and the DAC was sitting OUTSIDE the unit, connected by USB.
Jack explained that he knows how he will merge the DAC and amp, and is on the verge of it, and the price would still be $1500.

In other words, he seems pretty confident that he has worked out the glitches,
such that he would not encounter more obstacles that would increase his $1500 price point.
Fingers Xed

I believe Jack said they will "try to keep it around $1500" so let's not set expectations of selling price since nothing has been officially set. The new DAC design seems to have settled on an ESS chip, but again, that's what we know for now and the final design and specs are not set. Personally, I would be fine with just an amp if it means a lower cost.

As for LC comparison, it's really apples to oranges. LC is transparent and flat freq so it will not alter the source input or headphone output. You get exceptionally clean and dynamic performance from LC and balanced output to take it up another notch. WA8 is a tube amp that will color the sound based on the tubes and how many (2 or 3) that you are running and only supports SE output. I came away with the following impressions:

If you love the sound of a given headphone or IEM, LC will just make it sound better across the board - this is how I felt about my K10s I tried on LC. I think there were far more folks who came with their favorite headphone/IEM to try out LC so a lot more buzz and superlatives being thrown around.

If you have a a headphone or IEM and wished it had more warmth, thicker, richer, more fluid sound then WA8 may give you some of those qualities - this is how I felt about my T5P when I tried it on the WA8.  WA8 also has a built in DAC that may or may not be better than what you already have, but at least you have the option to use or bypass it. As for the meet, you have to expect mixed reactions due to the colored sound quality. For example, when I tried my K10s with both 2 and 3 tubes, it made the low end way too boomy for my tastes since K10s definitely don't need any kind of low end boost. T5P on the other hand was an awesome match given it's flat almost analytical stock sound. I am also talking about approx 5% or less differences so not massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back