:sunrise: Official 2015 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #106 of 192
  if its ok to post a link to an external show-report:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home/show-reports/show-report-head-fi-meet-july-18-2015.html

ob disc: I was mentioned in that show report, but I am not connected with the site.  I met john for the first time at the event and spent some time with him, not knowing it would be in his review.

Thanks for sharing!

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #107 of 192
So glad I went!

This year was my first meet attendance as last year it just..... didn't really occur to me to attend. Not sure why.

This year I got to the meet late but there was still a lot to see and hear.

For the first time, I got to try out some electrostats which was cool because I've read so much about them and know they have such a following. I got the impression they're part of that category of audio that doesn't awe one at first listen, but becomes an acquired taste- just like so many of the good (addicting) things in life.

Thanks so much to the members who brought their electrostat rigs as that seems like it entailed some work on their part, and many of us would otherwise never get the chance to try them.

Hope I get to listen to them again.

I also got to listen through some proper amplification for the first time. My listening thus far has been through either my (1) PC soundcard which and my (2) home theater stereo receiver, both of which are better than listening through a mobile device but, I realize, aren't quite the same as listening through a dedicated headphone amplifier.

On the topic of amplifiers, the Schiit display was awesome. It had many/most of their Schiitty amplifiers and some good full sized cans to showcase them.

It was at the Schiit display that I got to listen to some DT 880 600's and hear them for the first time. The 880's sounded OK out of my soundcard, but they sounded totally different through a desktop amplifier. The presentation was one of much more sibilance and heavy bass, which showed me for the first time why people refer to the 880's sound signature as V-shaped.

Thanks so much for bringing that Schiit, and tell the marketing guys to keep the Schiitty puns comin'!

I could gush on, but suffice it to say-

Big thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Please do it again next year.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #108 of 192

Dusk!  
biggrin.gif
  I recognize that beard anywhere, even from the back!

Warren! haha! Now I'm never shaving it off!

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #109 of 192
  Thanks for the heads up on a contingency outboard amplifier purchase, in case I happen to land a used STAX® headset (my Asus® XONAR® can drive most dynamic and PM headsets unaided thanks to the onboard Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2).  Concerning the HeadAmp® Blue Hawaii SE™, what PO tubes does this model use?  what full-wave rectifier tube, if any?

what are PO tubes?

The blue hawaii has a mosfet power supply and el34s on the output

EL34 verified at headamp.com.  I checked a comparison chart at The Tube Store, and among their available (as of July 2015) 6CA7/EL34 and KT88 pentode tubes, the Tung-Sol® EL34-B scores best across microphonics, mechanical noise, detail, and harmonics; the Siemens® RFT EL34, Electro-Harmonix® 6CA7EH, and JJ Electronic® EL34 and 6CA7 are all acceptable from a microphonics and mechanical noise perspective.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #110 of 192
it's not meant to be used with kt88s

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #111 of 192
Jul 22, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #112 of 192
  And special thanks to the crew: Jude, Warren, and Moe. Next stop - LONDON!

What... you knew it was coming!  
biggrin.gif

I wanted to stay longer but had family obligations that cut my stay a little short. I really wanted to meet Alex at Cavalli to thank him doing the Liquid Carbon and to see the new portable amplifier. I was surprised at how small the LC is but felt very nice in my hand. I'm really happy with the size and I know it will look great on my desk. I bought the amp without hearing it based on the Cavalli reputation and my past listening experiences with higher end Cavalli gear. All I can say is anyone who has one of these on order will not be disappointed. The LC was driving the new Mr. Speakers ETHER and it was sublime. I was really amazed at the prototype portable amp (seen with a make shift body and no top in my photo). The sound through the Noble 10's was pretty amazing. I don't remember the Noble's sounding that fluid before. Maybe just me? Anyway, what really knocked me back is that the portable amp should retail for less than the LC. 

I brought back a souvenir... a memento of the occasion...

Now let's see what this puppy can really do!  
smile.gif
  Not sure which IEM to try first... maybe the Noble Savant?

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #113 of 192

smile.gif

Use those fantastic white ones that come with the iPhone!

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #114 of 192

What... you knew it was coming!  :D

Now let's see what this puppy can really do!  :smile:   Not sure which IEM to try first... maybe the Noble Savant?

I am not surprised in the least that this little fella found its way home with you. Are you going to be able to talk about it right away or make us wait? Perhaps a new thread?

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #116 of 192

You should have come, I was also limited to a few short but precious hours.  I was able to in that short time listen to most everything I had my eye on.  Though the conversation with fellow head-fi'ers was sorely missed.

My ulterior motive was to not get tempted to buy any more audio equipment.  I always end up coming back from these meets wanting to buy something (and I already bought some UE RM's this year :X).  Lots of new stuff to check out this year based on the impressions so far!  Especially interested in AMB's gamma 3 based on all these favorable comments since I still use my gamma 2 as my primary source.  

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #117 of 192
  My ulterior motive was to not get tempted to buy any more audio equipment.  I always end up coming back from these meets wanting to buy something (and I already bought some UE RM's this year :X).  Lots of new stuff to check out this year based on the impressions so far!  Especially interested in AMB's gamma 3 based on all these favorable comments since I still use my gamma 2 as my primary source.  

Yes, I missed seeing you daigo!  And that Gamma 3 did impress...you need to hear it.  Gamma 2 is a great classic/standard, the Gamma 3 seemed to resolve a lot more low level detail.  I was a bit surprised!

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #118 of 192

smile.gif

Originally Posted by Stillhart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Use those fantastic white ones that come with the iPhone!

Originally Posted by digitalzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not surprised in the least that this little fella found its way home with you. Are you going to be able to talk about it right away or make us wait? Perhaps a new thread?

@Stillhart:  I can, but I'm not sure too many people around here use those.  Maybe ADDIEMs would be better?  Note, I have brilliantly defeated your suggestion with feigned seriousness.  
wink.gif

@digitalzed:  Oh no, I'ma be talking about it for sure.  
smile.gif
  I think I'm going to ask Alex if I can reboot the whole subject and archive some of the old threads, for the sake of clarity if nothing else.  Gonna start taking impressions of the amp with Layla (universal), UERM, K10, 1P2, Z5, wtc.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #119 of 192

@Stillhart:  I can, but I'm not sure too many people around here use those.  Maybe ADDIEMs would be better?  Note, I have brilliantly defeated your suggestion with feigned seriousness.  
wink.gif

smile.gif
  I think I'm going to ask Alex if I can reboot the whole subject and archive some of the old threads, for the sake of clarity if nothing else.  Gonna start taking impressions of the amp with Layla (universal), UERM, K10, 1P2, Z5, wtc.

^^Bring ti on @warrenpchi!^^

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #120 of 192

wink.gif

smile.gif

^^Bring ti on @warrenpchi!^^

Should I do also a shootout vs the O2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back