Sunmoon's Subjective IEM Notes/Impressions
Jul 25, 2020 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ymzable

100+ Head-Fier
Here I use this thread to keep a record of the IEMs that I own or owned, and also hope to help anyone interested in investing in those IEMs.

1. Sony IER-Z1R

LowsVocalHighsComfortIsolationTechnicalities
ExcellentGoodExcellentGoodGoodExcellent

Subjective Frequency Graphs:
IER-R1.png

Notes:
It has a U shaped sound signature. Excellent sub-bass and high extensions. Vocals might feel a bit dry and further back initially, especially if you are used to multi-BA IEM vocals, but not an issue once you are getting more used to the sound. I also believe it's purposely designed that way to create a sense of a huge sound stage from an IEM (which is also a closed design).

Choosing the right size tips is the key; I usually use medium-size tips, S-medium tips work best for me for this particular IEM. When larger tips are used, it will sit too far away from the eardrums, and the sound will loss quite of its fullness as a result. When properly worn, sound isolation is quite good.

Versatile and quite forgiving to lossy recordings. It feels like the Z1R is putting "makeups" to most of the music you hear and making them sound more enjoyable.

Ironically, WM1A does not have a good synergy with this IEM, and the best match is N6ii T1 so far.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 21
2. Moondrop Blessing 2

GoodPoorOkayPoorGoodGood

Blessing 2.png

Notes:

It has a giant shell that can only fit comfortably in maybe 50% of the human ears.

Overall thin sounding and shouty. It has lots of details, but I feel Moondrop forcefully brought up the highs to show it's "technicality." I personally think this defeats the purposes of making a "good" IEM. A good IEM should be at least enjoyable to listen to. If you are sensitive to highs, do not get this.

Bass is light but has good quality (fast and clean).

I am not sure if my set has a quality control issue, but I really cannot understand the A+ rating it received.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 21
3. IMR Acoustics R1 Zenith

GoodOkayOkayOkayOakyOkay

R1 Zenith.png

Notes:

It comes with so many filters, but most of them are useless. The default one attached is the black filter, with the black filter the bass sounds like coming from a promotional speaker used by a dollar shop on the street.

Pink/Blue filter might be the only two that's useful, but no matter what filter is used, the sound is always a bit odd somewhere in the mid-range. Overall it's a W kind of sound signature.

Bass with the pink filter is quite satisfying without noticeable distortion. The soundstage and imaging are quite good.

Has quality issues, one filter was defective, and the cable connector on the right side was loose.

It was purchased at around $400. The price went to $300 then to $200 range in a couple of months.

Customer service was very good, but I doubt I want to give their lineups another try soon.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 21
4. Drop + JVC HA-FDX1

GoodGoodGoodOkayGoodGood

Drop + JVC HA-FDX1.png

Notes:

It also has a removable filter/nozzle system like the R1 Zenith, but better in almost all aspects. The white nozzle has too much highs, and the blue nozzle is okay but still sounds a bit thin and unnatural. The green filter is the best among the three.

Overall it has a very fast and clean sound character. Once you are getting used to the sound, you may find some of your other IEMs can sound a bit muddy in comparison.

It also and has good sub-bass presents. Hard to find any fault with the green nozzle. An excellent buy for $250.

The tips that come with the FDX1 are very good. I wish I could buy those separately.

There are some rattling noises coming from the IEM when moving/walking. This might due to the rotatable and all-metal housing design. Higher than average microphonics.

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 21
5. TIN Audio T2

OkayOkayOkayOkayOkayOkay

TIN Audio T2.png

Notes:

Average Chi-Fi dynamic drive sound, nothing special except turned to be more natural compared to similar priced consumer-oriented IEMs.

Notes sound lack of refinement and cramped when the music is busy.

A bit fatiguing for continuous listening.

It might be worth the price, but I'd rather pay a little bit more for better IEMs.

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 21
6. TIN Audio T3

GoodOkayOkayOkayOkayOkay

Notes:

Improved bass response compared to T2, but overall very similar.

It has a little bit better isolation to background noises.

It feels even less airy than the T2.

Not too much of a difference. Not worth the upgrade if you have T2.

Jul 26, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 21
7. Etymotic Research ER2XR

GoodGoodGoodOkayExcellentGood

Etymotic Research ER2XR.png

Notes:

Very natural, clean sound signature, that is comparable to the Sony MDR-EX1000.

The IEM is very small, requires deep insertion into the ear canal. I feel it's reasonably comfortable and shouldn't be an issue for people who are used to IEMs.

For around $100, IMO it's unbeatable. In terms of the sound alone, it can compare to IEMs that's many times more expensive.

The next one would be the Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 when I have time.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 21
I must say that this is an excellent thread with a very good summarized and clean layout. :thumbsup:

(sorry for ruining your post-streak :joy:)

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 21
I'm liking your layout and graphs! Keep it up!

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 21
4. Drop + JVC HA-FDX1

GoodGoodGoodOkayGoodGood

Drop + JVC HA-FDX1.png

Notes:

It also has a removable filter/nozzle system like the R1 Zenith, but better in almost all aspects. The white nozzle has too much highs, and the blue nozzle is okay but still sounds a bit thin and unnatural. The green filter is the best among the three.

Overall it has a very fast and clean sound character. Once you are getting used to the sound, you may find some of your other IEMs can sound a bit muddy in comparison.

It also and has good sub-bass presents. Hard to find any fault with the green nozzle. An excellent buy for $250.

The tips that come with the FDX1 are very good. I wish I could buy those separately.

There are some rattling noises coming from the IEM when moving/walking. This might due to the rotatable and all-metal housing design. Higher than average microphonics.
you can find those tips it called jvc spiral dot plus plus

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 21
Nice thread #2

2. Moondrop Blessing 2

Overall thin sounding and shouty. It has lots of details, but I feel Moondrop forcefully brought up the highs to show it's "technicality."

Surprising that you ranked vocals as poor; I (personally) think that's the B2's standout. I guess the upper-midrange shout really bothered ya. Stay away from the SSR haha!

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 21
Nice thread #2

Surprising that you ranked vocals as poor; I (personally) think that's the B2's standout. I guess the upper-midrange shout really bothered ya. Stay away from the SSR haha!

There's an older gen that does vocals better: Flc8s. When it comes to female solo vocals, it's ahead of the blessing 2. Though I must say that distant sounding chorale sounds splendid on the moondrop. There's enough iems out in the markets that does vocals reasonably well, and that the blessing 2's main advantage lies in its capacity to image and separate. Figure I'd say something since I own them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back