Summit-Fi Random Thoughts
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 482

Ciggavelli

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm on some other forums, where they have a random thoughts thread, and I thought it might be fun to have one here as well.

I'll start:

• Who is Harman and why should I care about his target? :thinking:
  • Is dynamic range really that important :thinking:
  • Should I just sell all my gear and get the Sennheiser HE-1? :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 482
[*]Who is Harman and why should I care about his target? :thinking:

Just a starting point for what the sound curve closest to neutral would be based on some research which is neither provable nor infallible.

[*]Is dynamic range really that important :thinking:

For jazz, classical, yes, very. For Metal, not so much.

[*]Should I just sell all my gear and get the Sennheiser HE-1? :deadhorse:
For people who listen to only one system and only one genre maybe there is a set of grail-o-phones.

Otherwise, different cans for different bands from different lands :D

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 482
Mar 29, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 482
I like him and he sounds good to me (albeit modified)

Yes, both micro and macro.

God no.
For dynamic range, what do you mean by macro? A lot of music I listen to has a low dynamic range. I assume it has a lot of micro range, but I’m not sure about macro. Why is it important?

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 482
For dynamic range, what do you mean by macro? A lot of music I listen to has a low dynamic range. I assume it has a lot of micro range, but I’m not sure about macro. Why is it important?
Instantaneous change in dynamics requires good macro performance - it’s required for good PRaT. A song may not have absolute wide dynamic range but if it starts soft and slow goes bombastic in both level and complexity you need good macro and micro dynamic performance

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 482
Just a starting point for what the sound curve closest to neutral would be based on some research which is neither provable nor infallible.

For people who listen to only one system and only one genre maybe there is a set of grail-o-phones.

Otherwise, different cans for different bands from different lands :D
I like Metal having a capital letter 😉

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 482

I vehemently disagree with the latter. A lot of metal is intense, with many distorted instruments pushed to their extremes which sounds like a painful, jumbled mess on compressed recordings. Proper breathing room gives a metal recording the space it needs and allows for explosive passages that can follow a quieter segment of the song to not shred the user's ears as they frantically fumble for the volume knob.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 482
Should I just sell all my gear and get the Sennheiser HE-1?
Yes, why not? Only 0.0000001% of the world will own this.

Most people can own the gear you have. Even complete amateurs.

Owning the TC or Susvara for example will not make anyone special. But owning a HE1 will. You will definitely stand out of the crowd.

Lastly, in a few years the TC and Susvara will be in the low 3K and even 2K in price. You can easily pick them up again if you want. Best to sell now while the price is high 🙌

I'm actually serious.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 482
There are better things to collect than over-priced headphones 🤦‍♂️

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 482
There are better things to collect than over-priced headphones 🤦‍♂️
Well of course, but remember you are you in headfi.

Not watch-fi , whiskey-fi , car-fi , travel- fi , computer - fi, woman-fi,.....

Remember that.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 482
Here is a random thought: why are flagship headphones so expensive when they are either poorly built, have significant unit to unit variance, technical deficiencies or sound worse in certain respects than $200-500 offerings.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 482
Random (?) thought: are "random" thoughts actually pre-programmed into the Matrix?

:darthsmile:

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 482
Here is a random thought: why are flagship headphones so expensive when they are either poorly built, have significant unit to unit variance, technical deficiencies or sound worse in certain respects than $200-500 offerings.
Be more specific to the direct models in question please. :grin:

Mar 29, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 482

Users who are viewing this thread

Back