summer tours
Jun 27, 2002 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Is anyone seeing any good rock shows this summer? I feel like this isn't a bad summer (compared to the past few years). Here are some of the ones hitting Dallas that I plan to attend:

Dio/Scorpions/Deep Purple (already passed-excellent show)
Night Ranger/Foreigner/Bad Company
Rush
Robert Plant/The Who
Kings X/Dream Theater/Joe Satriani

Bowie is allegedly touring soon too, and I might go to that one. I resent that he refuses to play his classics, though.

Anyone else?

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 24
mbriant wrote:
"The Rolling Stones will be touring again however. See them while you still can."

Ummm... why??? I really don't understand it. OK, I love the Stones music. They were one of the most influential bands OF THEIR TIME.

But, why go see them now? Just to say that you've seen them? They don't really sound the same (or even good), their new music isn't interesting or even relevent. They're old men trying to kick out rebellious rock n' roll. Jagger will be 60 next year and is a grandfather!!! Nothing wrong with senior folks mind you. But to act the same way one did when they were in their 20's when they're in their late 50's and early 60's is just a joke. Sorry guys, times up for doing what you're trying to do.

Bruce

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 24
Just saw Elvis Costello in Philadelphia last Sat night. The show was at the Tower Theater... a smallish venue (~ 3,000 people). Elvis was in fine form (although the bassist wasn't exactly on the same page for part of the show). The band was called the Imposters. They did well on the new stuff but not so well on his older material. The concert went for nearly 2.5 hours. Played a whole lot of stuff from his early albums and maybe 10 tracks from the new album. Good show!

Bruce

Jun 28, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 24
BDA_ABAT wrote:

"OK, I love the Stones music. They were one of the most influential bands OF THEIR TIME.

But, why go see them now? Just to say that you've seen them? They don't really sound the same (or even good), their new music isn't interesting or even relevent. They're old men trying to kick out rebellious rock n' roll. Jagger will be 60 next year and is a grandfather!!! Nothing wrong with senior folks mind you. But to act the same way one did when they were in their 20's when they're in their late 50's and early 60's is just a joke. Sorry guys, times up for doing what you're trying to do."

What's the magic age when musicians should retire and people should stop attending their concerts? Elvis Costello turns 48 in August. 11 years younger than Jagger....and not nearly as influential. How much longer does he have to make relevant music?

Perhaps after the age of say 50, musicians should start acting their age, stop singing about irrelevant topics like love/relationships/life etc. and only pen tunes about dentures, grandchildren and leg bags.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 24
I'm going to see Siouxsie and the Banshees at the Palladium in LA. I might try to get tickets to see that David Bowie/Moby thing.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 24
someone gave me tickets to see bowie at roseland a couple weeks ago but i couldn't make it. my girlfriend is still making comments about how we didn't go..

i saw korn three times this month. i'm not proud of it, but we got in for free.. reminds me of when i was in 8th grade and stuff.

ugly casanova got cancelled, otherwise i would've seen them this week.

jimmy buffet is touring; he is the soundtrack of the beach.

i caught green day last month on that pop disaster tour and wow were they great. blink182 sucked ass, but green day was such a great show. i was seriously impressed by how great their show was live. they even pulled kids from the audience to play guitar/bass/drums and they played an op ivy cover. the bass player was like this tiny ten year old kid, it was hysterical. their setlist was awesome too, played everything that i wanted to hear.

umm.. can't think of what else i'd go to heh. definitely none of the stuff that kelly listed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
someone gave me tickets to see bowie at roseland a couple weeks ago but i couldn't make it. my girlfriend is still making comments about how we didn't go..

Your gf should kick your ass for having such messed up priorities...
Quote:

umm.. can't think of what else i'd go to heh. definitely none of the stuff that kelly listed.
very_evil_smiley.gif

...which are confirmed by this statement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 24
mbriant:

I never said anything about giving it up because of age (read what I wrote).... just seems strange for a band of grandfathers to be singing songs like "Streetfightin' Man" and the like.

I'll go to see anywho who can still play and sound good. Saw Andreas Segivia when he was ~90. He was wobbly getting to the stage but once he got settled in, WHOA! Boy could he jam! Saw Doc Cheetham when he was in his late 80's. Again, he gave a fine performance and had terrific sound.

Can you honestly say the same thing about the Stones? Do you REALLY think Mick sounds good, especially LIVE?

And yes, if Elvis stops sounding good, if he starts prancing round like he's 20 and acting like something he's not, then in my opinion, there's no reason to go see him or buy his new albums.

Bruce

Jun 29, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 24
Well, i would love to see Oasis and Dave Matthews Band....

The Who are gonna tour even though their bassist died, that's what CNN quoted the band as saying.

Jun 29, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
Can you honestly say the same thing about the Stones? Do you REALLY think Mick sounds good, especially LIVE?

I've never seen the Stones but their last live album/concert from the Steel Wheels tour sounded pretty good. I realize this could have been cleaned up quite a bit but having never seen them live, I won't assume anything.

Here are some really old people who have been touring and performing a really really long time who still do give awesome live performances and abouit how long they've been touring:
The Who (over 35 years)
Deep Purple (over 35 years)
Black Sabbath (over 35 years)
Pink Floyd (over 35 years)
Roger Waters (over 35 years)
Roger McGuin/The Byrds (over 35 years)
Alice Cooper (over 25 years)
Aerosmith (over 25 years)
Scorpions (over 20 years)
Iron Maiden (over 20 years)

These are just a few of the bands I've seen live (a few multilple times) who still tour and still reliably give excellent perfromances despite getting older. There are a lot of bands I still haven't seen but I'd say those ten bands are representative enough that it's ridiculous to assume that a concert can't be good just because the performers have aged. And by the way, I've also seen a lot of younger guys live and you know what? They didn't touch those guys.

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 24
From the Pete Townshend diary:

"28 Jun 2002 We are going on. First show Hollywood Bowl. Pray for us John, wherever you are. "
http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary...cfm?zone=diary

OK: who's gonna cover the bass duties? Who really CAN? Maybe John Paul Jones? Tony Butler??? JE had such a unique sound and style it will be hard to find someone to do anything close to what he did. But then again, the same could be said for Keith Moon.

Sad...

Bruce

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 24
It's Geezer Butler (Tony Iomi was the guitarist) and Geezer is my #1 pick. #2 for me would have to be Roger Glover of Deep Purple. #3 Paul D'Amour previously of Tool (currently open?), #4 John Myung of Dream Theater, #5 Chris Squire of Yes

For what it's worth:

Black Sabbath is allegedly waiting for Ozzy to record their next album. This could mean Geezer is free right now since Ozzy is beginning a major tour in support of his newest album and recording the next season of the Osbournes.

Roger Glover is currently on tour with Deep Purple and giving an incredible bass solo performance.

Paul D'Amour is doing what? Anyone know?

John Myung is touring with Dream Theater for the summer.

Chris Squire is a current member of Yes (they rotate out like friggin X-Men) and they are planning a summer tour to begin next month. Chris Squire had this to say about Entwistle, "John was a huge influence on me at the beginning of my career and he will be greatly missed."

Of course, even if one of these legends can do the honors of stepping in, no one will be Entwistle and I suspect it will be quite an homage no matter who does it.

Jun 29, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 24
Read the posts!

I never said anything about not being able to play because of attaining a certain age. See above posts. Age isn't REALLY the issue.

My contention is that:

a.) the Stones (Mick in particular) sound no where near what they used to sound like and to my ears/tastes, do not sound good (and, aren't we all here becuase of our interest in music and good SOUND);

b.) the attitude in their songs doesn't exaclty fit with their current age. It's just not beleivable to hear the words and see the posing coming from grandfathers.

BTW: before the tour for Steel Wheels, the Stones did a small warm up gig in Atlantic City. Mick actually said that he was really nervous before he went out on stage. Why, you ask? He was really concerned that people were gonna laugh at him because of his age and the posing/typical Mick moves. Again, not an age issue per se, but an appearance/consistency issue.

You mentioned the Who... if they sang, My Generation ("Hope I die before I get old") would that seem OK to you? No problem with consistency????

A band you didn't mention that's been around a while that still sounds good and is continuing to expand and grow musically is Rush. Geddy doesn't go for the same high notes that he used to... he's modified his sound to match his changing abilities. And the band continues to push boundaries. Are the Stones still doing that? Again, do YOU think they still sound good??

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back