Suicide Club (jisetsu sa-kuru) anyone seen it?
Jan 16, 2004 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
Has anyone seen this movie? It is a japanese movie. Very weird and interesting. It is about a wave of mass suicides among high school students in Tokyo. I guess it won a bunch of awards at international film festivals. It is pretty graphic though, so you might not want to watch it with your little sister or daughter. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 16
I saw it...at Best Buy in the foreign DVD aisle; right next to the anime.

But I haven't really seen it.

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 16
I rented it at my local DVD store...not a chain though. It was definitely worth watching, but pretty disturbing.
Music Fantatic, have you seen Suicide Club, or are you just bringing up Japanese film in general? I like Ozu as well, but sometimes it is just maddeningly slow...

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I rented it at my local DVD store...not a chain though. It was definitely worth watching, but pretty disturbing.
Music Fantatic, have you seen Suicide Club, or are you just bringing up Japanese film in general? I like Ozu as well, but sometimes it is just maddeningly slow...

I saw about 3 minutes of Suicide Club.

I must disagree with you about Ozu being slow. Glenn Gould once disagreed with a critic who complained that Bach was too "logical" and instead argued that he was a "volcano". In the same vein, I would suggest that Ozu is also a volcano.

Jan 16, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 16
thanks for the recommendation, upon checking it out on imdb, the head user review mentions it on par with: battle royale, ichi the killer, audition, and versus. since i own all of those films, seems like i should check this one out.
biggrin.gif

i'll try and get it soon.

Jan 16, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 16
Music Fantatic -- the first 3 minutes of the movie are probably the most graphic, so perhaps that turned you off. I am not generally a fan of overly graphic movies, but I think that this one eventually transcended its bloodshed...transcended towards what is another question though...But I understand your displeasure...

Jan 23, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I like Ozu as well, but sometimes it is just maddeningly slow...

On the topic of whether Ozu is slow, here is a rather serious essay I just read that addresses the question head-on -- it is entitled: Is Ozu Slow?

Feb 2, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 16
Just saw it. Pure weirdness.

For the most part I thought it was some cool mystery thriller but then there wasn't any real end. Could somebody please tell me, what was going on?
confused.gif

For now I can't recommend it.

Feb 3, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #13 of 16
thinking of getting hold of this film at some point.

i'm quite into my japanese films, and i think for pure stomach-churn factor either "audition" or the uncut version of "ichi the killer" (which i finally got this weekend, and it really made me feel quite ill to start with) are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back