Suggestions?
Dec 15, 2012 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

OldLions

New Head-Fier
What's up guys. 

I've been looking for a new pair of cans for a while. I've owned a few good pairs, but I'm looking to get a good pair that will last me a while.

I am looking to spend around $200-300, but if the phones are a little bit more or less, it's fine. 

Not extremely bass heavy, but it needs to be present.
I have no specific preference to open/closed, as I would obviously not like my headphones to leak, but I do want higher sound quality.
Looks hardly matter at all, these are going to stay connected to my desktop in general.

I am looking for good clarity, noticeable bass, basically a pair of headphones that I'll really enjoy listening to music to.

I don't have an amp, so if there is a specific headphone/DAC/amp combo that you want to suggest, fire it away.

On advice from MalVeaux, I've been looking at the AKG K167s and the Ultrasone DJ1s, but I'm leaning more towards a nice pair of Grados. I find myself close to purchasing the SR80is.

If anyone has some good experience with headphones that are similar to what I just described, I would definitely appreciate some help.

Thanks a lot.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 16
Ultrasone HFI 580 from what I've heard.
$120 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547239-REG/Ultrasone_HFI_580_HFI_580_Closed_Back_Stereo_Headphones.html
SERIOUSLY, LOOK INTO THESE!!!

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 16
I really like my HE-400s, and I hear the Mad Dog T50RP sounds very similar except for $100 less at $300 and is a closed headphone, you should look into it. My HE-400s are great with electronic imo.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
Do you use a DAC/amp?

I hear the Mad Dog T50RP is quite efficient, so you probably don't need one. The HE-400 scales nicely with a quality amp, but will work fine without one. The Audio-GD NFB-10.2 on my signature is being shipped to me, so as of now I don't have an amp. I wouldn't worry about an amp, it helps, but not that much.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
I hear the Mad Dog T50RP is quite efficient, so you probably don't need one.

You will need a amp for the Mad Dogs. They aren't very effiecent and will need a nice amp like a Schiit Lyr. This is one of MattTCG's posts, "I do think that people understand how good the maddogs are but maybe don't have a good grasp of how well that they scale up with better amps. Very reminiscent of the hd650 scalability. I'm honestly just floored with the maddogs with the lyr and the right set of tubes....stupid good. "

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 16
I cant see Grado's being of use to use if you listen primarily to EDM.
The sr80's are very nice headphones, no doubt. but for your needs(or wants) there are a lot better uses.
I Love my DT770 pro (80 ohm) with Digizoid ZO2. Although with the ZO2 if you choose so, you can make that setup extremely bass heavy.. they dont have to be.
They are very comfy, and  my Favorite headphones for on the go.
Otherwise the Ultrasones, i haven't personally heard so cant really say. but they are well spoken enough around here for me to feel fairly confident in saying they are a stellar shout.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
You will need a amp for the Mad Dogs. They aren't very effiecent and will need a nice amp like a Schiit Lyr. This is one of MattTCG's posts, "I do think that people understand how good the maddogs are but maybe don't have a good grasp of how well that they scale up with better amps. Very reminiscent of the hd650 scalability. I'm honestly just floored with the maddogs with the lyr and the right set of tubes....stupid good. "

They should be kind of efficient like the HE-400, but can do better with an amp. I don't want to stress buying an amp because when you're spending about $300 an amp doesn't give the best value. This is from their site.
"The tech specs don't really mean much for headphones, but here are the not so gory details:
  1. Frequency range from 16-22KHz
  2. Efficiency: 92dB/mw
  3. Impedance 50 ohms
MrSpeakers' Mad Dog headphones can be driven by most personal music players, including iPads, iPods, iPhones, laptops, PCs and other devices.  It should be noted that we've come across some tier-2 brand phones and media players that really can't provide enough power to really drive this headphone adequately.  To make the most of the Mad Dog headphones, MrSpeakers recommends the use of a good (or great) amplifier, DAC or DAC/Amp with at least 100mW per channel. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Would you say that those Beyers would work well without the Digizoid, or is that a must have?

Most likely want to get a JDSlabs Cmoy or a FiiO E11. Also, Beyer 770's would work very well for your tastes in music.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
They should be kind of efficient like the HE-400, but can do better with an amp. I don't want to stress buying an amp because when you're spending about $300 an amp doesn't give the best value. This is from their site.
"The tech specs don't really mean much for headphones, but here are the not so gory details:
  1. Frequency range from 16-22KHz
  2. Efficiency: 92dB/mw
  3. Impedance 50 ohms
MrSpeakers' Mad Dog headphones can be driven by most personal music players, including iPads, iPods, iPhones, laptops, PCs and other devices.  It should be noted that we've come across some tier-2 brand phones and media players that really can't provide enough power to really drive this headphone adequately.  To make the most of the Mad Dog headphones, MrSpeakers recommends the use of a good (or great) amplifier, DAC or DAC/Amp with at least 100mW per channel. 

I understand, but a lot of people on the Mad Dogs thread have said that they really need an amp to shine. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 16
The Beyers would benefit from amping.
They don't need the Zo2 specifically, but i preferred it over the E11.
The actual amp itself is about as good as an E11.. and then many many bass settings. that being said i only really use them for EDM ( for me, hardstyle/trance) where i like some fairly serious bass presence. :D
Its really up to you. i would probably go for an E11 as well if one of my main priorities was giving myself headaches while listening to EDM  
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
The Beyers would benefit from amping.
They don't need the Zo2 specifically, but i preferred it over the E11.
The actual amp itself is about as good as an E11.. and then many many bass settings. that being said i only really use them for EDM ( for me, hardstyle/trance) where i like some fairly serious bass presence. :D
Its really up to you. i would probably go for an E11 as well if one of my main priorities was giving myself headaches while listening to EDM  
rolleyes.gif

I'm not really interested in boosting the bass, just adding clarity and power to the cans. I've heard some things about the ZO2 involving distortion, how does yours work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back