Suggestions on upgrade from Ultrasone pro 900 + Xonar ST
Nov 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Maciuska

New Head-Fier
Hey, I've been a lurker on these forum for quite a time but the time has come that I need some help from you
dear audiophiles. 6+ years ago I bought this combo(PRO 900 + Xonar ST) through suggestions I found on this site and to this day I love listening to EDM on them. Nowdays I have some money to spare and I'd like to use it on some higher quality set than I already own and I've done some research and it turns out that PRO 900 are still considered one of the "basiest" headphones in 2017. I've found some suggestions but I'm still unsure to what I could upgrade in order to acquire even better sound quality. I mainly listen to EDM and use my PC for my musical fantasies :D Please help me, I really trust the folk on this website because you solved my dilemma on choosing pro 900 or HD 650.
I'm aiming for some higher quality headphones and ofc amp to support them. Thanks.

May 5, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Hey, I've been a lurker on these forum for quite a time but the time has come that I need some help from you
dear audiophiles. 6+ years ago I bought this combo(PRO 900 + Xonar ST) through suggestions I found on this site and to this day I love listening to EDM on them. Nowdays I have some money to spare and I'd like to use it on some higher quality set than I already own and I've done some research and it turns out that PRO 900 are still considered one of the "basiest" headphones in 2017. I've found some suggestions but I'm still unsure to what I could upgrade in order to acquire even better sound quality. I mainly listen to EDM and use my PC for my musical fantasies :D Please help me, I really trust the folk on this website because you solved my dilemma on choosing pro 900 or HD 650.
I'm aiming for some higher quality headphones and ofc amp to support them. Thanks.
The Asus Xonar Essence ST comes with some nice DAC chips.
And you could maybe spend around $60 upgrade the ST's three op-amps (Operational Amplifiers).
The Essence ST's headphone output has a 10-Ohm output impedance, so maybe connecting a solid state headphone (with a low output impedance), the ST's line-output (RCA) jacks, might(?) help offer a more detailed (tighter) bass.
Using the Essence ST's line-output jacks bypasses the Dolby Headphone surround sound feature, but you have no need for it with stereo audio music.

Maybe find a good deal on a used Schiit Asgard?

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry that I'm so late to respond, but I've done some research now and it seems that the ST's output is actually only 10-Ohm like PurpleAngel said(The article: https://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements). So it seems I am not even getting the 40 Ohm's my pro 900 has to offer on this sound card which is supposed to support up to 300-600 ohms headphones(or I am completely misunderstanding the point/article). So my guess is the best choice for me is to get a good standalone amplifier and exclude the in-built card completely, but it's really hard to find a Schiit Asgard even on amazon :/
Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Sorry that I'm so late to respond, but I've done some research now and it seems that the ST's output is actually only 10-Ohm like PurpleAngel said(The article: https://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements). So it seems I am not even getting the 40 Ohm's my pro 900 has to offer on this sound card which is supposed to support up to 300-600 ohms headphones(or I am completely misunderstanding the point/article). So my guess is the best choice for me is to get a good standalone amplifier and exclude the in-built card completely, but it's really hard to find a Schiit Asgard even on amazon :/
Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I used to own the Pro 2900, so I think the Schiit Vali is right up your alley:

http://www.schiit.com/products/vali-2

Aug 16, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back