Suggestions on sub/bookshelf speaker/reciever combo wanted:)
Jul 12, 2007 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

icantusefizz

Head-Fier
Ok, So...Im going to be upgrading my speakers soon, and i think im going to go for the Av123 X-Ls speakers, They look really nice to me and all the reviews have been good. My problem is, i am not sure what subwoofer will compliment it, or how much it will cost to get an adequate reciever/amplifier. Right now im using an old Yamaha subwoofer, with really cheap speakers, all hooked up to a sony mini stereo system (cd/tape/tuner all in one). It doesnt sound terrible to me and i use it ALOT. But i want to upgrade to something a little nicer and i have about 500 bucks to spend.

So, my question is, what sub, and what reciever/amp.
As far as music i like....pretty much anything, i listen to ALOT of music, and all kinds of sound. And i have more cd's than i have places to put them.

Thanks alot.

-Fizz

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 17
You've only got about $250 left if you get the $220+ship xls. That's not much, even if you diy. You might be able to squeeze in a x series sub for now and get a pioneer a-35 or whatever it's called integrated. Or a vintage receiver, but those are often problematic without restoration.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 17
Well, if i really need to i could stretch for a good reciever, i just dont wanna over do it and not hear any results. I was looking at the x-sub but i wasnt sure if there was another option that would be cheaper/better for the same price.

-Fizz

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 17
my setup soon will be a pair of the x-ls's with a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp from 1977. I found one in great condition for $100

I ordered the speakers yesterday, hopefully they dont take too long to get here!

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 17
Vintage amps or one of the tripath amps is probably the best value in amplification today. Subs at that price-range are rather tricky and might even do more harm than good, though, maybe consider putting the money on amplification and adding a sub later on when budget allows?

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 17
If you can stretch just a little, used Hsu stf series subs can be had. They all go really low and hit hard - it's hard not to go overboard while tuning them.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 17
I also like that Kenwood 7100 as a speaker amp.

Also consider a Sansui 517 or 717 in good shape.

Both have transistor (not IC) ouputs that add body to the music and fullness to the bass.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can stretch just a little, used Hsu stf series subs can be had. They all go really low and hit hard - it's hard not to go overboard while tuning them.

Where can I find one of these Hsu's? I have a subscribed search on ebay for months now and not even one has showned up.
mad.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 17
Ok, so if i can hold off on the sub, and stretch my budget a little, what is the best stereo reciever i can go for at around 200 dollars, i really dont wanna push too far over that though. And i dont mind going used.

-Fizz

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I find one of these Hsu's? I have a subscribed search on ebay for months now and not even one has showned up.
mad.gif

A few Hsus came and went about a month ago. Other than that, Audiogon and Videogon. It's surprising how much audio stuff winds up on Videogon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by icantusefizz
Ok, so if i can hold off on the sub, and stretch my budget a little, what is the best stereo reciever i can go for at around 200 dollars, i really dont wanna push too far over that though. And i dont mind going used.

If you want to use the speakers for a multi-channel home theater system, an integrated amp or vintage receiver won't do--you'll need a surround receiver. I haven't heard them, but the Panasonic SA-XR57 and SA-XR55 (no HDMI) receivers have been getting almost universally positive reviews. They cost about $200 + shipping new on eBay.

If you don't care about multi-channel, you could go for a used integrated amplifier of some sort, or the Pioneer Elite A-35R, which has a new retail value of around $175. I've owned one for almost a year and haven't grown tired of it. The only consideration is multi-channel audio, which is pretty much my only reason for wanting to upgrade from the A-35R.
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 17
Check the review here of the HK 3480 which is still available on Ebay although discontinued.

I just got a HK 145 which is similar for $102 from an Ebay liquidator. Sounds great as a speaker amp, not as good with headphone.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 17
NVM, those are overpriced because of collectors. Spend your money on the nicest Kenwood KA-7100 you can find. 60 vintage watts per channel is all you'll ever need. This integrated is sort of under the radar right now. Get them while they're cheap!

If you want serious advice, sign up at AudioKarma.org and ask those guys... You won't be disappointed.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 17
Alright, im buying a KA-7100. It should be about 100 bucks plus about 30 shipping. that brings my grand total to:

$130-KA-7100
$219+shipping(probably about 30 for this too huh?)-X-ls

Total: ~$379

That leaves me with 120 to spend on a sub.

Does anybody know how the X-sub sounds? Im probably going to just try living in slight poverty for a while and go for the HSU sub, but if i get a good review of the x-sub then i can save 100 bucks.

-Fizz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back