Suggestions on how to use Creative X7
Jun 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sad Panda

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I posted this on the X7 review thread but I figure it would get more visibility as a discrete post.
-------------------
I've been having some really odd hissing/buzzing noises with my Schiit Asgard 2 paired with a X-Fi Fatal1ty internal card. It doesn't happen when I plug the headphones directly into the soundcard and I suspect it might be somehow due to the power cable as I swapped it with a different one. (or the amp just be revealing the noise in my case, unsure yet)

I never used the new creative stuff (on PC) but I've heard that CMSS-3D is still king. Is it possible (or even recommended) to use the X7 as an amp for my X-Fi soundcard? Would the DSP processing on the soundcard be better than whats in the X7?

A thought I had was maybe only use the soundcard DSP for gaming and switch over to only the X7 when listening to music but I'm unsure how clunky that process is.

I got a X7 laying around after a receiver replaced it but would need to rearrange my PC area significantly due to its shape and my layout so I haven't tried it yet. I would be using a pair of AKG 7XX with this setup.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 2
You might have a ground loop on your hands. i'm using an internal creative X-FI Titanium soundcard connected to my X7 over optical - this completely sidesteps the ground loop issue. Sound quality is excellent. Though curiously I have heard reports that the frequency response over optical is flatter than through USB where there seems to be a slight enhancement of bass frequencies.

I wouldn't use soundcard DSP with the X7, it has its own DSP, and IMO the surround sound features are superior to CMSS-3D, especially when combined with a good pair of open backed headphones with good imaging and a wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back