1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on how to use Creative X7

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by Fire8Fly, Jun 13, 2017.
  1. Fire8Fly
    Hey guys,

I posted this on the X7 review thread but I figure it would get more visibility as a discrete post.
    -------------------
    I've been having some really odd hissing/buzzing noises with my Schiit Asgard 2 paired with a X-Fi Fatal1ty internal card. It doesn't happen when I plug the headphones directly into the soundcard and I suspect it might be somehow due to the power cable as I swapped it with a different one. (or the amp just be revealing the noise in my case, unsure yet)

I never used the new creative stuff (on PC) but I've heard that CMSS-3D is still king. Is it possible (or even recommended) to use the X7 as an amp for my X-Fi soundcard? Would the DSP processing on the soundcard be better than whats in the X7?

A thought I had was maybe only use the soundcard DSP for gaming and switch over to only the X7 when listening to music but I'm unsure how clunky that process is.

I got a X7 laying around after a receiver replaced it but would need to rearrange my PC area significantly due to its shape and my layout so I haven't tried it yet. I would be using a pair of AKG 7XX with this setup.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Digitalis
    You might have a ground loop on your hands. i'm using an internal creative X-FI Titanium soundcard connected to my X7 over optical - this completely sidesteps the ground loop issue. Sound quality is excellent. Though curiously I have heard reports that the frequency response over optical is flatter than through USB where there seems to be a slight enhancement of bass frequencies.

I wouldn't use soundcard DSP with the X7, it has its own DSP, and IMO the surround sound features are superior to CMSS-3D, especially when combined with a good pair of open backed headphones with good imaging and a wide soundstage.