Suggestions on a hp amp
Apr 11, 2002 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Btrigg

New Head-Fier
Probably been asked many times, but hey, I'm a newbie, and I know regulars love re-answering questions....

I'm looking for a hp amp, probably around $300 tops. I've looked at www.headphone.com, and their total airhead small, I think it was called, the $300 one. But then I've read about creek being really good, I saw the obh 12 for $350, which I guess is the highest I will go. What else is there? Is that the best amp for $350 or less, perferably $300.

Apr 11, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 13
depends on your preferences for solid state vs. vacuum tubes and what headphones you will be using with it.

Amps to investigate are The Creek, X-Cans v2, Headroom Little, MG Head, Corda HA-1.

Driftwood

Apr 12, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 13
The Corda HA-1 is regarded around here as probably one of the best players in its $ class.

Apr 12, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 13
As far as I've read the solidstate amps are more accurate, the tube amps sound more, musical. Is this true? What do you guys perfer. I'd naturally take the more accurate one, but I haven't heard a tube amp to compare.

Apr 12, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 13
That's GENERALLY what the people on the forums say about solid state vs. tubes. Personally, I think it depends on the particular amp itself. Your best bet would be to listen to them and just feel to see which one you like best. I personally chose solid state and my Max for two reasons. The first is that I don't really have the time or the expense of maintaining and trying out different tubes. The second reason is that Headroom has a good reputation and I feel that by purchasing their product I'm also getting a good customer service/support/warranty.

Apr 12, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 13
The tube vs. solid state thing is totally a matter of preference. Gotta try both. There's no getting around it.

I'd recommend starting with either a Corda, MG Head OTL, or Headroom Little.

Corda gives you excellent solid state performance for cheap.

Little is also very good solid state with an upgrade path.

MG Head OTL requires a bit more configuration and maintenance but possesses the most *wow factor* of all mentioned thus far.

Apr 12, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Btrigg
Probably been asked many times, but hey, I'm a newbie, and I know regulars love re-answering questions....

How did you know?
wink.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, Btrigg.
smily_headphones1.gif

Before I rattle off some sugestions, (those already listed are very good) how are you going to use your amp?
You mentioned the airhead, will you need a portable amp, a home amp or one that can pull double duty?

Apr 12, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Btrigg,

look at the can of worms you've opened!
biggrin.gif

please don't ask us -- you'll get 2000 different opinions.

Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
The tube vs. solid state thing is totally a matter of preference. Gotta try both. There's no getting around it.
I'd recommend starting with either a Corda, MG Head OTL, or Headroom Little.
Corda gives you excellent solid state performance for cheap.
Little is also very good solid state with an upgrade path.
MG Head OTL requires a bit more configuration and maintenance but possesses the most *wow factor* of all mentioned thus far.

nick,
this is pretty good advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s., don't forget the creek obh-11

Apr 12, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Before you buy any one of them, please listen to at least one amp of each types (SS and Tube, except electrostatic). Make sure you like or dislike either one of them. Or you may like them both, which is a bad case
wink.gif

And another thing is the headphone that you have, or going to have. From what I've known, different headphones mated with different amps, some of them make synergy but others are not-so-listenable.

hope this helps.

Apr 13, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 13
Well, I need to find a place that sells headphone amps. I would perferably want a portable amp. Or at least one that I can easily put in a bag and take it on vacation, which I guess isn't the same as a portable one. To put in perspective, I'm going to sell my 590s for a pair of 600s but will buy an hp amp first. I go for the best when it comes to audio. Would I regret getting the headroom little? Is the otl that much better? Or do you just recommend listenning?

Apr 13, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 13
You can should consider traveling to one of the cities on the Headroom tour this summer -- see the listing in the Headroom forum. But if you want crossfeed in a portable, the Porta Corda should be on your list.

Apr 13, 2002 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 13
Just wanted to ask ... is there any home use headphone amp (not portable) for around <USD$200?

I want to join it from a Panasonic 470 -> amp -> ATH-W100. Mainly listen to instrumental and new age.

Apr 13, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 13
there are two kinds of difference in hifi world: a sounds better than b and a sounds different to b. Usually, when people listened to two setups, they prefer one over another by the differences, but the differences may not directly translated to good and bad. You may like the high fre roll off but technically it is not as good as a flat response amp.

So it is important for you to understand where are the differences and which one you prefer.

For example, Cosmic is better than Superme for better components but Cosmic is more reveal than Superme as well. If you happend to have a lo-fi source, then Superme may give you better experience because it couldn't pick up as much distortions as what Cosmic does.

So a hi grade amp may not be able to give what you want, it may give you both what you want and what you don't want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back