Suggestions of Places to check out in NYC?
Apr 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KCxSmacker

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, 

So I'm going on a trip in early May to New York with my college for a Graphic Design class. Was wondering if there are some must see places that any of you fellow head-fiers could suggest. I am already visiting a few studios, art museums, and the usual spots in New York, but was hoping for some suggestions for audio enjoyment that I could just not find here in the Midwest. Or just anything that is a little lest touristy. As a class we basically have the evenings/nights as free time, so I want to get the most out of this trip as I can.

Cheers!
size]

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Take your wallet and stop in @ B&H! :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes, definitely check out B&H to try out some headphones. You could also go to Julie Glick's office to try out some CIEMs. I'd also recommend checking out Zabars, which is at W 80th & Broadway. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Yes, definitely check out B&H to try out some headphones. You could also go to Julie Glick's office to try out some CIEMs. I'd also recommend checking out Zabars, which is at W 80th & Broadway. 

Nice. Did not think of CIEMs. Could get fitted and set up with a pair. thanks!
Quote:
Take your wallet and stop in @ B&H!
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Oh dear lord! B&H is there? i'm going to have to drag a couple people there with me but it would soooooo be worth it. Had no idea they were based out there. I will have to try a crap ton of cans... AS MANY AS I CAN.... AAHHHHHH SOOOOO EXCITED... I hope they have the TH900s on display there... I need to live in a big city... /cry

May 1, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 11
Let us know how your visit to B&H goes!
One day I hope to visit "The Mecca" as well.
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 11
J&R on Chambers street about a block away from the Brooklyn Bridge and City Hall. They take up the whole block with each building devoted to different things. They have alot of great headphones and speakers along with music and computer related merchandise. They also have a internet cafe on the second floor i believe.

http://www.jr.com/

May 5, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
J&R on Chambers street about a block away from the Brooklyn Bridge and City Hall. They take up the whole block with each building devoted to different things. They have alot of great headphones and speakers along with music and computer related merchandise. They also have a internet cafe on the second floor i believe.

http://www.jr.com/

My god that looks very nice. I may spend some of my free time there... or a lot of it. Do they have a large amount to try out? If so, do they have a listening room for the headphones?

Thanks for the great suggestion ^_^)b

May 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 11
I just went to AC gears today and checked out their selection of headphones. It's another place to consider going. They don't have as many headphones as J&R or B&H, but they do have v-modas and the hifiman he-400 and re-400. If you go there, ask for Tom (head-fier user kyuuketsuki). I spent a nice 2.5hrs there today auditioning headphones and talking to him. Check their website, acgears.com to see what they have.

J&R has a section for headphones. Some are on the wall (hd650, hd600, beats) and you can't unplug them. There is a bigger selection inside the showcase, which you'll just need to ask the person there to try out. It's kinda noisy there though. Lastly, there is a section upstairs in the DJ gear section where they have the amperiors and hd700, as well as a few other headphones there.

May 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
I just went to AC gears today and checked out their selection of headphones. It's another place to consider going. They don't have as many headphones as J&R or B&H, but they do have v-modas and the hifiman he-400 and re-400. If you go there, ask for Tom (head-fier user kyuuketsuki). I spent a nice 2.5hrs there today auditioning headphones and talking to him. Check their website, acgears.com to see what they have.

J&R has a section for headphones. Some are on the wall (hd650, hd600, beats) and you can't unplug them. There is a bigger selection inside the showcase, which you'll just need to ask the person there to try out. It's kinda noisy there though. Lastly, there is a section upstairs in the DJ gear section where they have the amperiors and hd700, as well as a few other headphones there.

Thanks. 

I was hoping to find a place with the Th900, Rs1s and HD800s to try out. Those 650s may be something to check out. Thanks for the info. I will check out acgears.com

cheers

May 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 11
B&H does have the HD800's but it's not like you can bring a proper amp & dac to the store to actually drive them to their full potential :x. It's also very noisy there, so testing the HD800s there isn't ideal with that either.

May 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
B&H does have the HD800's but it's not like you can bring a proper amp & dac to the store to actually drive them to their full potential :x. It's also very noisy there, so testing the HD800s there isn't ideal with that either.

Ah ok. I thought they may have had a sample amp there or something. all good. To bad the hifim8 is not with me yet ;(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back