Suggestions for supra-aural, closed-back, under $50 cans with decent isolation and comfort?
Sep 7, 2012 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DWells55

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I'm looking to pick up some headphones for my girlfriend as a gift. She's no audiophile (knows pretty much nothing about it), but I have started replacing her music collection with higher quality copies, and I'd like to introduce her to the world of higher-quality sound. She's used to several year old iPhone headphones, so I'm thinking it makes sense to start cheap. Though IEMs would be perfect, she can't wear them comfortably due to one earring, so I'm looking for portable headphones. 

Here's the major requirements:
  1. Under $50. She doesn't like when I spend a lot of money on her and it makes sense to start small.
  2. Not huge, bulky, or ugly. On-ear supra-aural would be best, and smaller if possible. Something similar in size to the Bowers & Wilkins P5, and portable around campus.
  3. Good sound isolation. She keeps her windows open and the campus can get loud. I imagine active noise-canceling isn't available or worth bothering with at this price range.
  4. Minimal sound leakage. Closed-back is going to be the way-to-go here, she has an easily bothered roommate.
  5. Comfortable for walks and long study sessions.
  6. Good sound quality. Doesn't need to be amazing, but still good.

Unfortunately my knowledge in this price range is limited to open-back and circumaural headphones, and I didn't really find anything that really met my requirements when I searched around. So I'd love some recommendations. 

Thanks!

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 13
Look at the VMODA line...

Spend a little more than 50, and she will marry you in a minute.

IMHO, Jim

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 13
V-Moda doesn't have supra-aurals that are anywhere near $50.

That is true, but they are much more fashionable than the Fostex T50RP.

Jim

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Then just let her choose.

Line up some pix of different headphones.

Bet she picks the V-MODAs.

Jim

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Those are pretty damn slick in terms of features and styling, not bad on price, either. Definitely going to consider those with the Sennheiser PX200-II and look up reviews for both.

I'm also thinking I might just by myself a real cheap pair right now and lend them to her just to see if she'll even get used to wearing supra-aurals instead of stock iPhone earbuds like she currently uses. Either the MEElec HT-21 for $25 or the Coby CV185 for $9.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Audio Technical ATH-SJ5s. I also have a recabled K81DJ with extra pads that I could hook you up with for much less than $50. I have good feedback so if you're interested shoot me a pm. Both headphones sound great.

Edit : HT-21s will not isolate that well but sound pretty good for such a cheap can. Built well too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back