Suggestions for sub 400 IEM. Balancedish w/ a bit of fun/energy, exceptional soundstage, and deep sub bass?
Feb 21, 2022 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FlatBeat

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I've been going deep into the iem rabbit whole trying to find the goldilocks set. I'm still new to this so please bare with me.

I listen to lots of deep electronic genres (uk dubstep, downtempo, garage, occasional house/dnb), ambient, more personal indie music, and occasionally some metal/rock. I'd like something that can smoothly transiton from

This

To this

To this

So far I've tried the er2xr, the FD5, and I'm now spending time with the penon globes.

The er2xr weren't dynamic enough and had too small of a soundstage.

The FD5 soundstage was fantastic, had tons of air, but had very thin and recessed mids. The upper treble was too hot and fatiguing and I had to eq out the peak around 8k. It crushed house music and big bass genres but indie and vocals sounded souless, empty and just off in general.

The globes are getting closer to what I want. More balanced presentation of the mids/treble. Has emotion and heart, instruments sound more real. Bass is about 5db too much and a bit too much coloration of the lower mids. Energy and treble is pretty much perfect, maybe a touch more air in the 10K+ region would be nice. Not too hot or fatiguing, not boring either. Soundstage is fairly wide and has good depth (but I still find myself missing the space of the fd5).

So I guess what I want is something closer to the width/air of the fd5 with the more balanced presentation of the globe (but a touch less coloured in the lower mids and less boomy, not sterile and cold though). Sub bass still needs to be able to slam and rumble for dubstep when needed but not overtake the mix so much. A bit of eq is fine to boost/lower the sub if needed but I don't want to touch too much else.

So any advice for an all rounder that can really handle the spacey/bassy stuff as well as more chill music? Bonus points if they are easy to drive.

Ikko Oh10 seems like an option but I've heard it described as fatiguing which I don't want. ISN h40 is recommended but I've read the globes are pretty much a more refined version of hem. I don't think either of them can match the space of the fd5 either.

Anything else I should consider or am I asking for too much out of one set for the price?

Thanks for reading this far.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 11
If you found the FD5 thin and fatiguing I don't think the OH10 will be much different.
I have the FDX1 and while I think it's a great and very versatile IEM for the money I feel like you are looking for something warmer with less forward upper mids.

One standard recommendation in the price range is the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, which has a good, neutral signature with boosted (sub) bass.
If you want more mid-bass I think the Sony XBA-N3 would be a good option, but you will likely only find it used. I listened to if a few years ago and was impressed by the combination of a smooth and detailed midrange with fun, punchy and extended DD bass.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 11
If you found the FD5 thin and fatiguing I don't think the OH10 will be much different.
I have the FDX1 and while I think it's a great and very versatile IEM for the money I feel like you are looking for something warmer with less forward upper mids.

One standard recommendation in the price range is the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, which has a good, neutral signature with boosted (sub) bass.
If you want more mid-bass I think the Sony XBA-N3 would be a good option, but you will likely only find it used. I listened to if a few years ago and was impressed by the combination of a smooth and detailed midrange with fun, punchy and extended DD bass.
Mhm, I'm thinking you're right on the OH10.

Out of curiosity I decided to eq my fd5's with Oratory's target last night and I think I'm not as much of a basshead/fun iem lover as I thought. They sounds way more in line with what I'm looking for. Perhaps a bit more low end and a touch more warmth in general but they completely shifted into something very palateable. Nothing too forward or recessed, everything represented well. It was an eye opener.

Realizing this I think you might be right and the dusks might be a good option whereas before I was concerned they would be too "boring". From what I've read I want something with a smidge more colour/fun but I think I would like them. I'm also considering the penon serial. They're describes as "harman with a bit of warmth and sub bass". I'll also check out the stuff you recommended.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 11
Hey everyone. I've been going deep into the iem rabbit whole trying to find the goldilocks set. I'm still new to this so please bare with me.

I listen to lots of deep electronic genres (uk dubstep, downtempo, garage, occasional house/dnb), ambient, more personal indie music, and occasionally some metal/rock. I'd like something that can smoothly transiton from

This

To this

To this

So far I've tried the er2xr, the FD5, and I'm now spending time with the penon globes.

The er2xr weren't dynamic enough and had too small of a soundstage.

The FD5 soundstage was fantastic, had tons of air, but had very thin and recessed mids. The upper treble was too hot and fatiguing and I had to eq out the peak around 8k. It crushed house music and big bass genres but indie and vocals sounded souless, empty and just off in general.

The globes are getting closer to what I want. More balanced presentation of the mids/treble. Has emotion and heart, instruments sound more real. Bass is about 5db too much and a bit too much coloration of the lower mids. Energy and treble is pretty much perfect, maybe a touch more air in the 10K+ region would be nice. Not too hot or fatiguing, not boring either. Soundstage is fairly wide and has good depth (but I still find myself missing the space of the fd5).

So I guess what I want is something closer to the width/air of the fd5 with the more balanced presentation of the globe (but a touch less coloured in the lower mids and less boomy, not sterile and cold though). Sub bass still needs to be able to slam and rumble for dubstep when needed but not overtake the mix so much. A bit of eq is fine to boost/lower the sub if needed but I don't want to touch too much else.

So any advice for an all rounder that can really handle the spacey/bassy stuff as well as more chill music? Bonus points if they are easy to drive.

Ikko Oh10 seems like an option but I've heard it described as fatiguing which I don't want. ISN h40 is recommended but I've read the globes are pretty much a more refined version of hem. I don't think either of them can match the space of the fd5 either.

Anything else I should consider or am I asking for too much out of one set for the price?

Thanks for reading this far.

I own the Ikko OH10 which I love. I am very treble and shouty sensitive but haven't had a problem with these. They're imaging is really great with a pretty big soundstage. I would highly recommend them in the under 200 price range.
The sub bass is very sublime.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 11
Not sure it's what you'd be after buti just took the chance on the hifiman re800 silver as it was down to £100 on sale from £250... And originally entered the market at a price way above it. Nothing to lose. It's early on for me, but as someone who has used the fd5 daily since Xmas and from quite a bit of experience, it's the best earphone I've ever had. It's slightly similar to the FD5 in a few ways, but it's way more detailed and refined. I'm pretty shocked it's £100. Build wise there's no competition as the FD5 wins there. With stock tips i don't think it would have the bass for you, but it's a different animal with a wider bore tip.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Should add, the re800s played those three tracks very nicely. In fact, itplayed the bass lines on that first track with authority and depth and with less bloat then the fd5. Glad you supplied it as my opinion on the re800s bass has just shifted hugely

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Hidizs MS2 are my current favorites. And very inexpensive.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Sennheiser IE300 were $300 when they came out and a bit overpriced up there. Now they're $215 at Amazon, where you can try them with free returns.

[EDIT: Amazon bumped them up to $257 while I was writing this! Check Ebay or used...]

They are bass-boosted, claiming to go down to 6Hz, but they're also clear and sparkly up above, with a wide soundstage for IEMs. Your Inspector track had a serious thump when the bass landed, and when the whispery voices came in on Echo Voyage I thought someone had walked in behind me.

They are so small and light they need a good fit to hold them in. The stems have an extra notch so the tips can hold on in two spots -- try the included tips with both placements on the stem.

My major gripe with them is the cord, which is proprietary and very microphonic. But if you're stationary while using them, and add a shirt clip, they might fit your description.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back