Suggestions for portable cans that aren't IEMs or buds
Jul 10, 2009 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TedwardRoberts

100+ Head-Fier
Note: if you don't care about my ear wax issues, skip to the cliffs!

I recently procured a set of Etymotic HF5s as a gift for my birthday. I absolutely LOVE the detail, and I only like my Alessandro MS1 slightly more because they seem to play nice with Rock/Alternative much more.

That said, I've had a lot of problems with IEMs in general over the years, but I hadn't realized it until now. Apparently my ears produce quite a bit too much ear wax, and this has caused me all sorts of problems, the least of which is quick clogging of the earwax filters on the HF5. The first day I had the HF5, while trying the tri-flanges, I managed to clog the ear wax filters in about 10 minutes.

I found that the included foamies fixed the clogging problem, but they got dirty extremely quickly, and at some point, while pulling the HF5 out of my ear, one of the foams got stuck pretty deep in my ear, which pissed me off a lot.

I've talked to a Dr. and he said that my ear wax production didn't seem ridiculous, just high. He said that it's also possible that the IEMs are causing some of my ear wax problems.

To make an excessively long post short, could you guys recommend me some portable cans that are not IEMs or Buds (buds I can't use because of a piercing). Ideally, I'd be looking for something with sound similar to my Alessandro MS1, and at a price similar to the HF5 (between $99 and $150). I'm very intrigued by some of the clip-ons out there like the Yuins and Audio-Technicas.

Note: I listen to most genres, but predominantly Alternative, Punk, Ska and Rock.

Cliffs: recommend me some non IEMs or Buds for portable use that optimally would sound somewhat like my Alessandro MS1 and be within $99 and $150 USD.

thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back