Suggestions for Music to Study to?
May 19, 2004 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iga

New Head-Fier
Well i try to stay as far away from "classical" as i can, but it shouldn't be anything to dance to either, so in the past i've usually used Erik Satie, and even tried some of the down-tempo songs by Air. But anything that repetative played over and over tends to drive me crazy. I've been meaning to put together some slow jazz, but its hard to find any really dry jazz in my collection that wouldn't take my focus off the pages i'm supposed to be reading/writing. i've finally convinced myself to buy "piano reflections" by Duke Ellington, which i think i'll strip of its more energetic tracks, anyone know of a similar album? any other suggestions?

May 19, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 11
Coldplay-Parachutes worked well for me half the time, the other half ANY music was a distraction. Trust your ears, you may not want to be listening to music at all at the time. Otherwise, John Powell soundtracks are a suggestion, classical style with an electronic element to some of the songs, other songs not really classical at all. Lighter music than most I feel, so it stays in the background better.

May 20, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 11
I myself like Apocalyptica. Finnish cello quartet; originally played Metallica covers, now they've added a vocalist, bassist, and some other stuff, and play original. But their first two albums, _Plays Metallica by 4 Cellos_, and _Inquisition Symphony_ are quite good. They're kinda heavy (hey, Metallica...), so if that bothers you, they might not be best. I myself do quite well to them, however.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 22, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar
Up to this date I still dont know if music and studying are compatible...

I have to agree from a purely personal standpoint. I do an awful lot of studying (currently working on my 4th degree) while I can browse the web with music on I Just cant concentrate on reading with Music and vice versa..

May 22, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 11
I often use misc. movie scores for studying. They're often exciting enough to keep you from falling asleep but they're not too engaging. Sometimes when I'm really out of it and tired, I'll listen to Weezer's Green Album.
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 11
It's been a while (about a year) since I had to do any studying
k1000smile.gif
, but I used to listen to the following artists:

+ Enya
+ Enigma
+ Jean Michel-Jarre
+ Mike Oldfield
+ Fourplay

Of course, they're great to listen to even when not studying. I often listen to the above at work or when on a long train journey too.
cool.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Ahh good thread! It seems like yesterday I was in the library cramming for my finals. Anyways, I either jam to my slow Tool playlist which consists of:
Code:

Code:
[left]1. Third Eye (Live) 2. Push It (Live) 3. No Quarter 4. Disposition 5. Reflection 6. Triad 7. Eon Blue Apocalypse 8. The Patient[/left]

Or, I would let some Paul Oakenfold - Another World (Disc 2) play
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 11
I put the second movement of Beethoven's 7th on repeat for a whole day while studying
biggrin.gif
The 7th is my favorite now!

Anything slow and without lyrics works well for most me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back