Suggestions for first serious headphone purchase
Sep 27, 2005 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HereIsNoWhy

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for suggestions for headphones or earbuds(not in-ears) which match the following criteria:
1) Cost up to $100 max, preferably $50-$75 tops
2) Aren't necessarily closed, but do not leak sound at a ridiculous rate
3) Are very warm, thick, and natural sounding, yet still fast and fluid enough so that the music is never bogged down or boring. I want to be able to hear instruments and vocals as they were mean't to be heard, think live sound as opposed to processed sound. I don't want a sterile sounding headphone and although I am not a basshead, I would still like to have noticeable TIGHT bass response present within the headphones.
4) I want the music to sound as if it's comming from my surroundings as opposed to inside my head.
5) Minimal sibilance at the absolute most
6) Relatively easy to drive and sound good without an amp

I would be using these to listen to a little bit of everything, but primarily rock, electronica, industrial, pop, acoustic, etc. Any suggestions or advice?

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 15
Grado SR-60's are the first ones that come to mind, although they definitely give in an "in head" type of listening experience and do not have a terribly wide soundstage. Otherwise, I think they would work well for you.

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 15
"serious headphone purchase" and "$100 max" could be considered mutually exclusive. For some people here a serious purchase involves the spending of significantly more. That said, try the Grado Sr-60. For 70 bucks they sound awesome. Or maybe the Alessandro MS-1 if you wanna spend a little more.

Sep 27, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Grado SR-60's are the first ones that come to mind, although they definitely give in an "in head" type of listening experience and do not have a terribly wide soundstage. Otherwise, I think they would work well for you.

x2

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest an old FOTM - Eggo D66.

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 15
Maybe I'm just not in a charitable mood, but dude, you come in, you look like you're new to the community since you're only registered as of Sept 2005, your only posts are basically two threads you started, both "recommend a headphone/IEM to me" types, and you ask a "I want everything under the sun, budget $100 max" type question. Come on, you can put in a little more effort than that!

Stick around, read up a bit, get a real sense of what's on the market in your budget and what's important to you. Educate yourself. Educate others by telling them what you like or dislike about your KSC75's, which are fine headphones.

Anyway, I would have also said SR60 except for your need for no leakage (also mentioned in your other thread). I echo the Eggo recommendation, as there ain't a heck of a lot that fits your criteria. I have no experience with them, but I know that AKG also makes some headphones that might fit your needs.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 15
With that budget you can't have it all, but I agree your best bet would be the SR60/80/MS1s.

Depending on the source, I could go for the PX100, though (with an iPod, for example). But I know this it's just probably me, so don't trust me on this one.

Sep 27, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 15
ksc35/75
cool.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 15
I personally do not like the AKG 240S, but from your description they sound PERFECT for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereIsNoWhy
I'm looking for suggestions for headphones or earbuds(not in-ears) which match the following criteria:
1) Cost up to $100 max, preferably $50-$75 tops
2) Aren't necessarily closed, but do not leak sound at a ridiculous rate
3) Are very warm, thick, and natural sounding, yet still fast and fluid enough so that the music is never bogged down or boring. I want to be able to hear instruments and vocals as they were mean't to be heard, think live sound as opposed to processed sound. I don't want a sterile sounding headphone and although I am not a basshead, I would still like to have noticeable TIGHT bass response present within the headphones.
4) I want the music to sound as if it's comming from my surroundings as opposed to inside my head.
5) Minimal sibilance at the absolute most
6) Relatively easy to drive and sound good without an amp

I would be using these to listen to a little bit of everything, but primarily rock, electronica, industrial, pop, acoustic, etc. Any suggestions or advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back