Suggestions for earphones with crisp high
Jul 20, 2008 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gerbi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All.
As might have understood from the thread I'm looking for suggestions for a pair of earphones with a nice, full bodied and crisp sound especially in the highs.
I own a pair of full size Audio Technica ATH AD900 (they sound amazing) and I guess I'm trying to find the same sound (or as close as possible) in an earphone set.
During the last year I've tried several pairs including the Shure 530 (which I found quite "laid back") and I still haven't found a pair with that "wow" factor.
As I said for me crisp, detailed highs are paramount and bass secondary (obviously still present, don't want a tinny sound). Budget is (almost!) not an issue.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Please note that I live in Australia and some brands and/or model might not be available down under.

Cheers

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Check out the Sleek SA6 thread. Very clear, clean, crisp mids and highs. And good but not overpowering bass. Just read the thread. And I believe soundearphones.com will ship International.

Jul 20, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 12
ER-4P with Shure black foams. Really helps the bass out, makes them much more comfy than tri-flanges and only slightly glosses the highs over.

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER-4P with Shure black foams. Really helps the bass out, makes them much more comfy than tri-flanges and only slightly glosses the highs over.

x2
Olives and ER-4P/S = great combo.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Thank you all guys.
There's a local store selling the SA for AUS $299. I knew about the ER 4P but I've been put off by their look (they seem to stickout quite considerably) and the impression that they seem uncomfortable. Does anyone like to share their experience with either model?
Thanks again:)

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 12
I owned them both (sold the etys) and I will tell you, the SA6 flanges are very comfy, as are a couple of Shure foamies (yellow standard or black olives) with the Sleeks. I use the olives. The Ety sound is what it is, and that's very good, but to me, the SA6 mid/highs are less fatiguing, and the Sleeks are more balanced, with a much more emphatic bottom end. The modularity is a really nice feature, too. Great customer service, etc. All I can say is I had them both, and sold the Etys. As a replacement, I bought the Altec-Lansing im716s (for $20), had them modded with 47ohm, and they sound nice (Ety makes the drivers for the 716s, and they are supposed to the same as the ER4P). But not as nice as the Sleeks.

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 12
X3 for Ety's, especially the ER-4S, if you have a portable amp. Not quite as bassy as the 4P, but extremely detailed and neutral. Best of both worlds, go with a 4P and get the P/S adaptor.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 12
The Etymotic ER-4S/P is exactly what you are looking for as far as treble is concerned, but they will not fulfill your secondary requirement for bass. My recommendation is to go with the Sleek SA6s. The tunable tubes allow a good bit of personal tweaking, so you can customize the sound you want. If not the SA6s, consider UE Triple.Fi 10 Pros, they have very crisp highs and potent lows. They are basically on par with the SA6s for all-around balanced sound. You'd be happy either way.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, thank you all.
I have ordered a pair of Sleek SA6 as I like the idea of beng able to tune them and replace parts easily.
I should get them in acouple of days so I will share my thoughts.

Has anyone tried or heard any feedback about the new Sennheiser IE range?
Even Sony has jumped on the bandwagon of the high end canal phones with the MDREX700SL.
Cheers:)
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back