suggestions for EARBUDS or CANALPHONES for ipod
Jul 7, 2005 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

iamsmrt

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone have any suggestions for EARBUDS or CANALPHONES under $100 with good mid-range and bass for ipod? sexiness is a plus.
etysmile.gif

will be using them UNAMPED.

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 13
I recommend getting the etymotic er6i's... heard great things about them plus they're white to match your iPod.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 13
The best cp out there for under $100 would be the er6i but it would depend on your bass preferences as it might be kinda weak coming out of an iPOD. If bass is your preference and you don't mind giving up detail, highs and some midrange I'd say the Shure E2.
Me, I'd go for the er6i and even though you specified no amp, both would sound better with one.

Jul 7, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 13
anyone out there have any opinions on the Audio-Technica ATH-CK5 or ATH-CM3?

i love the brand and its signature but have never listened to their earbuds...just headphones and clip-ons.

Jul 8, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 13
is there any sound/general difference between the er6 and the er6i?

and honestly people...are sony headphones really THAT bad? over-priced and overrated sometimes, but having said that, should i consider the sony mdr-ex71 for canalphones priced at under $50?

feel free to rave or rant or anything in between.
eggosmile.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
ATH-CK5 impressions here:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126779

ATH-EC7 vs. B&O A8 comparison ongoing and coming up soon

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=10

The ATH-EC7 costs more than US$100, but since sexiness is a plus...

ty elephas. i had stumbled across your ATH-CK5 review earlier today, and across the board, everyone seems to agree that it lacks bass--hence my question about the mdr-ex71's. are they half-decent?? what's your take on them? and let us know when your ATH-EC7 vs. B&O A8 comparison is complete, i'm sure i won't be the only one curious and waiting for the results!

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 13
Glad to hear you're interested in the EC7 vs. A8 comparison.

I've never heard the Sony MDR-EX71.

I have an old pair of EX70, and they don't compete favorably with the EC7 or A8.

The EX70 is the opposite of the CK5 in many ways. It is bass-heavy, muddier and boomier. The CK5 is bass-light and brighter with clearer highs.

If they could somehow fuse together to become one pair of earbuds...

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 13
bump

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamsmrt
does anyone have any suggestions for EARBUDS or CANALPHONES under $100 with good mid-range and bass for ipod? sexiness is a plus.
etysmile.gif

will be using them UNAMPED.

Good mids and bass, you say? Sounds like you're looking for Sony MDR-E888LP. I haven't found any earbuds for under $100 that sound better. You can get them for about $50 from Bluetin.com.

As for the CK5, the impressions by others are in alignment with what seems to be part of the Audio Technica sound (at least as it applies to their earbuds and clip-on's), namely lack of bass. I only have personal experience with the CM7. You can improve the bass by EQing them.

But if you're going to go for earbuds (i.e., cans without isolation), I suggest you also look into KSC75. They are clip-on's so if you don't want clip-on's, this is a mute point but KSC75 sound as good if not better than E888 but cost only $15.

Jul 9, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 13
I have been using the Sony MDR-EX81SL with the iPod and am very pleased with them. Compared to the 71 they are much more neutral and bass is vastly improved. The new design is quite comfortable and they don't tend to slip out as the 71 did.
They go in and out in a snap, provide a bit of sound insulation (about 10db) but not too much to impair common activities (I can ride my bike while using them).
They are cheap, sound good, look very sexy so I recommend them.

Jul 9, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritboxer
The best cp out there for under $100 would be the er6i but it would depend on your bass preferences as it might be kinda weak coming out of an iPOD. If bass is your preference and you don't mind giving up detail, highs and some midrange I'd say the Shure E2.
Me, I'd go for the er6i and even though you specified no amp, both would sound better with one.

How much do these cp's improve with an amp?

Jul 9, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 13
I have the sony 71's as well as had the shure 2c's and now the 4 c's

I had not listened to the 71s since I got the shures, but with recent accident involving my ipod and shures i went back to them for a few days.

I had thought they sounded really good before, well now i realize that was not true. My ears have become educated. What I thought was good bass was actually just sludgy indistinct thumping. There is so much detail missing with the sonys compared to the shures its unbeleivable, even on music that is pretty sludgy itself like NIN. I cant listen to my sonys anymore except maybe with RAP.

Just one persons opinion, but you will not regret spending more on your phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back