Suggestions for Closed headphones, with detachable cable
Jun 6, 2012 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DogandPonyShow

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I wonder if you can help here.  I'd be very grateful for some suggestions for some closed-back on or over ear headphones (ideally between £30 and £120) for portable use with an iPod.

I've had three pairs of Sennheiser 202 HD now.  They are excellent budget headphones (closed, £20-£30) but the weakest link is always the cable which breaks after a year or two, so I'm looking for more study alternatives.

I've just bought a pair of Beats Solo HDs after listening to my friend's, but I think I've made the wrong purchase.  The reviews on these are very mixed.  I didn't get them as a badge!
I don't think the build quality is particularly brilliant, and I'm not convinced the sound is that great.  It's good, but I don't think the it's very lively (I've been reading about 'burn-in' so perhaps this will improve it over time).  I listen, mostly, to very bass-heavy rock music (Pixies, Mclusky, the Hives, the Kinks) but also more acoustic music.

I really like the design features on the Beats cable (the fact that it is sturdy, detachable, has in-line volume, and has a flat, right-angled jack at the iPod end), but these are not closed headphones and so leak sound.  As I listen to music on public transport a lot, I don't want to be 'one of those people' who have open headphones where everyone can hear the music.  The 202s were really great for that, and didn't leak hardly any sound.

So what I'm looking for is fairly inexpensive closed headphones, ideally with a detachable cable (standard 3.5mm would be great), better still with a flat headphone jack.  I have a few ideas, but would like to see what recommendations you can suggest.

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 20
Detachable cables within your budget--regardless of sound signature--are fiarly rare and usually usually come with only one size of cord.  The Superlux HD668B and CAL! are such exceptions, but the Superlux is semi open and neither is a basshead can.  Further, the lack of an amp further cuts down on your options.

Jun 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 20
maybe look at the talk about the Numark Red Waves (which is a Yoga OEM, so there are other headphones that will have the same driver like some Konig headphones, i can't remember the model right now). You should be able to get the Numarks for £60 easily and they're DJ headphones, so they'll manoeuvre in the oddest of ways, have a fair bit of bass (I've read they have a lot), good build (theoretically) and they do have a detachable cable.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for those.  Wow!, the Numark's look Sci-Fi.

I'm quite keen on the AKG K450's.  They are closed (when I've tested them in-store, they don't seem to leak much sound at higher volumes), and have a one-sided, detachable cable (albeit quite flimsy).

Any other thoughts?

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 20
Check out the Shure SRH440

$80 - $90 (US price)
Closed / sealed
Detachable cable
Great sound

My PC is LOUD, so I've really been impressed with how well these seal out the sound of the fans.  I use them for games and music.  On the bass end, with Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and Diablo 3, I've heard deep bass notes on my 440s that my 2.1s only hint at.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 20
Oh yeah, there's the Pioneer headphones too, the new Bass Tune headphones and Pioneer's HDJ series that seem to have a good reputation around here with those who have them (myself included).

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 20
The Shure 440's will do great for acoustic and rock music. 

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
Thanks for those.  Wow!, the Numark's look Sci-Fi.

I'm quite keen on the AKG K450's.  They are closed (when I've tested them in-store, they don't seem to leak much sound at higher volumes), and have a one-sided, detachable cable (albeit quite flimsy).

Any other thoughts?

AKG 450 are quite small. However, I do like the sound of them. It is bass-oriented but after burn-in, it should level out nicely. So I think this is good within your budget.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 8, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 20
Yeah I quite like the Shure 440s - the overall build quality does seem to be very good, but I've read/seen reviews which don't rate the sound quality that highly (eg http://www.whathifi.com/review/shure-srh440).
The noise isolation is very good (based on this video review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWW6xWOqR0g).

I like the AKG 450s and they do a very good job at keeping sound in (I don't think as well as the Sennheiser 202s, which is reasonable as they are fully over the ear.  I wish Sennheiser would make headphones with detachable or thicker, more robust, cables - they're always the first thing to go, followed by wear on the pads.  The 202s are great headphones.)

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
I've owned they SRH440s. Fantastic build quality and fantastic sound quality for the price.

Haven't heard them, personally, but I can vouch for the 840 and 940.  See if you can get a deal on the 840s used.  I think you'll be happy with them...

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 20
Another vote for Shure!!!
The 440s with SRH840 earpads are just a match made in heaven. Great with most genres and it has what you are looking for (i.e. detachable cables, rugged design, etc.)

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 20
Dont listen to these dudes , the 440 is NOT a good portable can, its on a par with the M50 , not comfy.

HD437 is excellent, doesnt fold though, i am using these and they are great office cans and scale well at home.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
Dont listen to these dudes , the 440 is NOT a good portable can, its on a par with the M50 , not comfy.

HD437 is excellent, doesnt fold though, i am using these and they are great office cans and scale well at home.

If you change the pads on the 440's they are comfy. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back