Suggestions for Audiophile headphones & DAC Portable amplifier
May 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RiazKhan

New Head-Fier
Hello HeadFi experts,

I have been looking up various websites to find good audiophile headphones in the range of 500 to 1000$ that can be mated with a portable amp such as from FIIO or other brands in the range of 100 to 200$. Currently, i have skullcandy rocnation would like to invest in superlative sound systems. I live in Mumbai, India.

I have come across Sennhieser HD800/700/650, Hifiman HE 400/500/560, V-Moda M100, LCD 2 (Ver.2).

My music preference is mostly electronic, pop, hip hop. I also listen to rock, fusion, lounge music. I like music with a thump/punch but clarity of all instruments is must.

Could you please recommend which head phones to buy and which amp is the best to match. Please feel free to suggest alternatives. Thank You.

May 22, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 12
HD650s have a viscerally satisfying sound and will be driven well by a FiiO amp. However, if you are willing to put in some money to get a better amp later, the LCD2s are by far the best of the lot in your list. Mother are absolutely spectacular headphones.

Incidentally, I have one in Rosewood I am selling for RS 60k, btw (I want to upgrade to LCD3s)., as well as a pair of HE500s for Rs 35,000.

Vmoda 80/100s do not belong on that list. I have HD800s as well and they are very nice but don't meet your requirements as well as the LCD2s or HD650s.

May 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Based on what I've read, I wouldn't bother pairing any flagship headphone with a cheapo portable amp.  I'd suggest adjusting your budget to get a better portable amp if you plan on getting such an expensive headphone.  Otherwise, save some money on your headphones...

May 25, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 12
Hello Buddy,

Based on your comment i have done a bit of more hunting, Could you please help further...

I have found Audio Quest Dragonfly and Bayer Dynamic to be interesting. Please comment on their quality and if they are good enough. Since i travel a lot i need the DAC to be portable.

Which headphones do you recommend with Audio Quest Dragonfly? Any comments on Bayer Dynamic a200p.

Options that come to my mind are:
First set: Sennhieser HD700/650
Second set: Hifiman HE 400/500/560 (eagerly waiting for 560's review) , V-Moda M100, LCD 2 (Ver.2). (these i will have to import as they do not have offices in India hence second set.

My music preference is mostly electronic, pop, hip hop. I also listen to rock, fusion, lounge music. I like music with nice heavy bass but not at the cost of overall quality of music. So a little over hint of bass would do fine with supreme quality of vocals, instruments.  

a 200 p works with android, is dragonfly also compatible? does dragon fly draw power from the device or is it self powered?

I look forward to your help.

Cheers!

May 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 12
What are you going to use as a source?

Will you be listening in public places thus possibly ruling out open back designs?

May 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 12
Dear Buddy,

I am going to use Galaxy note 3 as the source. I want to use a portable amp & dac as well.

Maybe in future i may look at AK 240 or a high end DAP.

I mostly use my headphones outdoors during travel or chilling at a coffee shop etc. But i am not averse to Open back designs if they serve the purpose better.

Look forward to your assistance, thank you so much...

May 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 12
Open back designs are not ideal portable headphones. They leak too much in both directions. Other people might not like listening to your music.

May 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm afraid my experience is limited so I can't definitively say what's best. I use V-Moda M-100's when I'm out & about and I think they're great but the sound is not in the same league as my HD 650's. I've read good things about AKG K545's & Sennheiser Momentums (both models).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back