suggestions for a sub $500 music set up
Jul 22, 2008 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geekchic

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I need some help from all of you to set up my music - the parameters are;

1. Almost all my music is digital - MP3/ some lossless
2. it's stored on my Dell PC/ office laptop - both have only on-board sound currently or I might play directly off my DAP (Cowon D2)
3. The speaker set up will be in my living room (19ft X 13 ft - yes, it's matchbox sized - I live in a city with very expensive real estate
mad.gif
)
4. neighbors are likely to object to loud sound as well as the hours at which I blast it - so I don't need bone-shaking bass, but clarity at low volumes. However, occasionally if I have friends over for a party, it should be a system that can rock a bit.
5. This will be my first speaker set up - I'm more into portable music today. I'm realistic that I don't have a big budget, but I do want the best sound I can get at this price point. And as you can see, I am starting from scratch.
6. Suggest a scalable solution - today my budget is constrained, but over time I can add on eg. tell me
a) the complete basics I need to invest at this point of time (sound card, DAC etc.)
b) Add-ons that can come later like a sub woofer.

Any suggestions will be welcome. As you see in my sig, I am currently thinking of the Audioengines (A2 is for my desktop, but I've also wondered if A5 is better for the requirements listed above). I have a preference for powered bookshelves as they can save me from investing in a separate amp.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 6
I question the NuForce Icon's abilities. I've only seen the one major 6moons review that everyone links. I'd get something that's tried and true... I'm pretty happy with the Zero DAC I got (including USB>optical adapter), and other options include Fubar III, etc.

And for speakers - go for A2's or A5's. I found my A5's for $250, so if you can get a good deal like that, go for it.

Jul 22, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 6
fjf, shleepy, thanks for the replies. I'm a complete noob at this - so I understand that you are suggesting a DAC that will connect through USB and bypass my on-board sound (won't need a sound card)

If I can get a sound card (which is cheap and easily available for me here), instead of a DAC, will that work or further reduce SQ?

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 6
Since your card has analog outs I would look at an older amp and I am talking old Marantz, Technics. You can get them from e-bay, craigslist, goodwill, garage sales. For speakers I would look at the NHT SB3's you can pick up nice ones on e-bay for a good price. They are amazing sounding. I have 2 pairs of them. They play to 39hz. Nice enough to not warrant a sub. For adding a sub later down the road if needed, you can get subs that have high level inputs and you will loop the speaker wires through the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back