Suggestions for a Speaker Amp with a Sub Out?
Jul 16, 2007 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
My A-35R doesn't support the use of subwoofer. I am thinking about adding a sub to go from a 2.0 to 2.1 system.

I don't need an expensive amp, but I want something quality with good resale value and reliability.

I really don't know much about speaker audio. I assume I just need an amp with a sub out then an rca cable to connect the sub out to the actual sub.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 14
Here are your options:

1. Buy a subwoofer with line-level or speaker inputs and use its internal crossover.
2. Buy something else with a built-in crossover.

For #2, the most cost-efficient method is buying a receiver. However, it will cost a significant amount of money to gain better performance than the A-35R, IMO. If you want a side-grade with multi-channel output, you might try the often-recommended Panasonic SA-XR57, which sells new for around $200 plus shipping on eBay.

If I were you, I'd just use the subwoofer's speaker inputs, which is what I plan to do with my A-35R until I get a decent receiver.

906angstrom.2.jpg

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 14
I've been advised by several people that going through the sub with my speaker cables is a bad idea.

What do I need to look for on an amp to make sure it has a sub out? Are there any integrated amps with sub outs? I really don't need the multichannel.

Thanks for the advice on the pioneer. I have been really happy with my a35r.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 14
There's nothing particularly wrong with hooking up your subwoofer with speaker cables. Many people prefer it. Some subwoofer companies like Rel actively promote it.

Very few integrated amps have sub outs or even a general preout. If it does, it's going to be fairly high end.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 14
XR-57 is a good HT amp and has great detail to me. I like it but the knock is that it isn't the most musical amp being digital. Ok whatever. For the $$ it is insanely good for music or anything.

As to not needing multichannel.

Cool, I use mine Bi-amped for my 2.1 setup. Sounds great and is highly regarded as the best bang for the buck receiver out there.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 14
If I went with the XR-57, which sub would pair with my system? I don't really have a price point, just looking for good value under $1000, but more around $500 would be ideal.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 14
the HSU 10" is widely regarded at the $400 price point.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Get a Hsu used and save at least 30%-40%. They don't come up TOO often, but they don't sell that quickly, either.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I would avoid going through the sub.

It adds alot of extra components where the signal can become distorted.

What do you mean? He could just use one of the tape outputs on his integrated amplifier to feed the subwoofer. There wouldn't be a need for the signal loop back from the sub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport
If I went with the XR-57, which sub would pair with my system?

You'll probably be looking at the same subwoofers regardless of source/amp, since they'll all have their own internal amplification sections.

Check out all of the offerings from Hsu Research, Outlaw Audio, and SVS before you make a decision.
biggrin.gif

Also, AV123 and possibly Velodyne.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 14
tape outputs are no go. he would have to adjust his sub volume every time he changed the volume. no one wants to do that. you can spend weeks fine tuning your subwoofer xover settings. he needs a preout, subout, or speaker level ins. AFAIK, going through the sub only involves a pair of resistors or so, not a lot of components.

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True... The line outputs aren't really preamp outputs since there's no attenuation. I figured I'd just change the volume by ear every time until I got a decent receiver.
biggrin.gif

Line outs don't really work unless you always listen at the same volume. If you adjust volume at your integrated you'd need a pre-out for the sub to match volume.
cool.gif

Subs depreciate quite quickly, so it's probably a good idea to look for an used one.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 14
I would avoid going through the speaker outputs as you lose the crossover filtering, no matter what REL says.

The Panny 57 is a good idea for a modern inexpensive receiver with a sub out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back