Suggestions for a present
May 22, 2014 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

loller

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, i'm italian so i will start the message apologizing for the errors that i will do.

My sister is searching for a pair of headphones and, since soon it will be her birthday, i'm thinking to take them as a present.

I know that she would like closed headphones, "big enough to cover the ear", (with active noise canceling would be top).
She will use them mainly to watch some movies on her laptop computer, lissen to university lectures or mp3/youtube music.
So, as you would imagine, i'm not looking for anything nearly "topend" but i would like to take her the best for the money.

Let's say 60/80$

Any suggestions?

Thanks A LOT!!!!

May 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 16
The first pair of headphones I bought were the Superlux HD 668B, it's an asian brand so I don't know if it's available there but if you're ordering from the internet I don't think that'll be too much of a problem. Really solid headphones for $40, they seem more "fun" to my untrained ears compared to my Sennheiser 518 especially when the audio quality is not necessarily good. They are semi-open but I know there's a closed version, ask around in the forum if anyone knows what they're called. Look into the Koss Portapros too, they get recommended a lot for beginners + they're really tiny and portable. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on finding headphones :)

May 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Oh and as for active noise cancellation, I don't think you really need those. The money you'll be spending for that premium would be better spent on sound quality. Just get closed cans if it's really important to you

May 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 16
  The first pair of headphones I bought were the Superlux HD 668B, it's an asian brand so I don't know if it's available there but if you're ordering from the internet I don't think that'll be too much of a problem. Really solid headphones for $40, they seem more "fun" to my untrained ears compared to my Sennheiser 518 especially when the audio quality is not necessarily good. They are semi-open but I know there's a closed version, ask around in the forum if anyone knows what they're called. Look into the Koss Portapros too, they get recommended a lot for beginners + they're really tiny and portable. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on finding headphones :)

Thanks for the answer!
I have read about these superlux and, if it was for me, i would probably take them.. but it's going to be a present so i'm searching for something a little bit more nice looking :D

Oh and as for active noise cancellation, I don't think you really need those. The money you'll be spending for that premium would be better spent on sound quality. Just get closed cans if it's really important to you

It isn't really important.. probably a pair of closed cans would be enough. ^^

May 24, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 16
You should go beyond $80 and buy the Shure-SRH 440. You can usually find them for $99 even though they retail for $125. (At the time of posting, they are available for $99.) I am recommending headphones that I have not tried, but these have great reviews.

You can view them here: 
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-440-professional-studio-headphones

For her purposes, being lectures/mp3/youtube, I think these will be more than sufficient. People do complain that these are slightly uncomfortable though. They are known to be somewhat heavy, but they are sturdy.

May 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 16
So you've decided to go over your budget hahaha. I read the review I think that'd serve your purpose well, especially with the 32 ohm impedance, the U shaped frequency response, 3.5mm connector and short cable these should work great on mobile devices. Not to mention they look amazing too. Goodluck with your purchase :)

May 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 16
  So you've decided to go over your budget hahaha. I read the review I think that'd serve your purpose well, especially with the 32 ohm impedance, the U shaped frequency response, 3.5mm connector and short cable these should work great on mobile devices. Not to mention they look amazing too. Goodluck with your purchase :)

I second that. When I purchased my Beyerdynamic DT 660s I also jumped the budget. I originally intended to spend less than $100.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 16
  UE6000s are perfect for you

+1

Also look at the Sony XB line. If she wants some head-rattling bass (great for movies) with super comfortable pads, those are a solid contender. Almost forgot, probably the best bang-for-your-buck portable is the Creative Aurvana Live! Comfortable, great sound, good isolator, and nice price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back