Suggestions for a portable amp (for ER-4P), and what to do if cable gets cracked (Shure E500)?
Nov 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CaspianPH

Head-Fier
Hey dudes,

Couple of really quick questions:

I just bought a pair of ER4-P IEMs and I was wondering what you fine cats and dogs would think is a decent portable amp to power these puppies. I realize how badly I'll be needing an amp after I plugged them into my ipod
frown.gif

2nd question regarding wire fray:

The Shure E500s I've had are amazing phones but they've gotten frayed around the right IEM and ummm, well...I was hoping any of you guys knew if Shure services these things, or if you have any ideas... I'm a bit lost at the moment. It's not under warranty anymore, but I wouldn't be opposed to shipping them off to shure if they offer that sort of thing.

Thanks folks!

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 14
** bump
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 14
Ok, well so far I emailed Shure's support desk about the cable being frayed on the right ear piece and I should receive a response by monday, so I'll keep you guys updated.

as for an amp...I looked at headroom's Total Airhead and it looks promising. It's going for a hundred bucks, so that's not too bad either. Anybody have one of these in conjunction with the ER4-P? With anything else? Please share your opnions
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks guys

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 14
It says 3046

does that make sense?

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 14
yeh it makes sence, your earphones were made on the 304th day of 2006.

get it...304 6.

anyway, this means your unfortunate enough to own a set with the older cable compound which is prone to stiffening and splitting. and if you dont have proof of purchase im sure they may just...just be out of warranty going by the cable date.

worth emailing shure for ? shure lol as they are pretty fair but dont expect miracles.

all the best. if they do exchange them, ask them nicely for a later produced set, i did just that and got some made one the 165th day of 2008, the cable does seem thinner and more flexible and as of yet has not stiffened at the bend over the ear.

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 14
ahhh, good to know. Thank you for the heads up.

*** Edit 1: Rats, I didn't know I had a 2 year warranty...I thought it was just 1. The cracks started appearing about 5 months ago
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

*** Edit 2: wait...I think I might still have 5 weeks left in the 2 year warranty! Yattaaaaaa! Gotta wait and see, I have to check with my distributor...but if I do, I will for sure ask for the later produced set.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 14
Its a common problem for Shure products im sure they'll just replace it, almost could be an product recall sitch. Im so glad that they have 2 year warranties, and Shure is pretty good at it... now should i replace my replacement E2c? Which one would i get now :p haha

The ER4-P is a lower ohm version, there is also an adapter to make it -S means harder to power (higher ohm). -P is good enough without amp, and will be improved when there is one as well.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 14
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 14
Shure headphones have been given a return authorization number w00000t w000000t

I'm returning them tomorrow for a 2008 batch just like jinx said. Thank you Shure!

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaspianPH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure headphones have been given a return authorization number w00000t w000000t

I'm returning them tomorrow for a 2008 batch just like jinx said. Thank you Shure!

Just out of interest did they ask for your receipt?

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 14
The Xin amps are made for them --- at least the supermini. It has an S adapter built in along with a bass boost that is perfect for the Etys... oh and they are very very good amps. I use mine for my E500.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of interest did they ask for your receipt?

Yes they did. They asked I put a photocopy of the original receipt along with the headphones.

I asked for a 2008 batch model and they said OK.
I'll update when it comes in. sending it out tomorrow. Just the earphones...no PTH unit... so i doubt I'll be getting a whole new kit...new tips woulda been nice :p

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Just an update:

Shure E530s have been received. Got a box full of goodies here too including new tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot Shure. Speedy and awesome service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back