Suggestions for a more comfortable headphone <$100
Sep 16, 2009 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Lbeuol

New Head-Fier
Hey there, I currently own the Sennheiser HD 280 and from my own experience it seems like I have a larger then average head. I'm content with the sound quality, isolation and lack of leakage but its just too uncomfortable for me to wear for any extended length of time, pressure on the top of my head and pinching of my ears.

I've been looking around for awhile but I can't really seem to get a handle for if the headphones would be comfortable for me and I rather not waste more money for something I can't enjoy that much. I'd be willing to expand my budget if absolutely needed but I'd like to stick to around/below $100. Thanks I appreciate it!

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 17
need it be closed? You would probably find the Senn HD555 more comfortable. 100$us.
I had the HD280pro, and it was very uncomfortable!

Never tried the Denon D1001, but they might be worth a look too.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 17
Denon D1001 are very comfy

So are the AD700's, but in a different way.

If you have very large ears, then the D1001 isn't going to be as comfortable, but for those with normal ears, they are very nice. wearing them right now =)

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #6 of 17
Appreciate all the replies, it doesn't have to be closed as long as its comfortable and has a decent sound quality. I'm pretty positive that I have normal sized ears. The AD700 you're referring to is the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 correct? I was actually looking at those and the JVC HARX900s earlier because those look almost overly padded.

I tried looking for a cheaper refurb pair of the HD 25-1 but I can't seem to find any within my price range. Are there any places you'd suggest I check for a better price? I've mainly been checking on general websites like Amazon, newegg and some local store's websites. I've also tried to find a store locally where I can actually try on a few pairs of headphones but that didn't work out either, seems like most of their stock are website only.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 17
The HD-25 I were not that comfortable. They rest on your ear, not around them.
I'd still say check out the HD555.

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 17
Have you considered Sony MDR-V6? They offer excellent isolation, gobs of detail while remaining neutral [they're studio monitors], portable, well-built, and I've worn mine for 2-3 hours with no comfort issues. It's also been around since the mid-1980s and is the choice of many recording studios.

If you look around, it can be had for around USD 70.

I also have the HD 555 and have relegated it to the 'sell' bin. Nowhere as detailed, comfortable [for me] nor isolated [being open phones].

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 17
If you can stretch just over $100, you could pick up the ATH-M50's and throw a set of dt250 velour pads on them...I just did it with mine and they're ridiculously comfortable with them.

There's a thread on here that discusses how to do it.

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexanderino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered Sony MDR-V6? They offer excellent isolation, gobs of detail while remaining neutral [they're studio monitors], portable, well-built, and I've worn mine for 2-3 hours with no comfort issues. It's also been around since the mid-1980s and is the choice of many recording studios.

If you look around, it can be had for around USD 70.

I also have the HD 555 and have relegated it to the 'sell' bin. Nowhere as detailed, comfortable [for me] nor isolated [being open phones].

The V6 make my ears sweaty after a half hour, which makes them itchy. I don't like them as much as the senns in terms of comfort.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The V6 make my ears sweaty after a half hour, which makes them itchy. I don't like them as much as the senns in terms of comfort.

Yea I'm a bit worried about that, the 280s that I have make me feel like I'm going to get a rash after wearing them. Can any of you folks throw me a website or two where I should shop at? Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back