Suggestions for a desktop headphone amp/DAC for computer setup
May 8, 2009 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

alexofc69

Head-Fier
I am fairly new to this forum. I currently run my iPod through and iBasso D2 Boa and Denon D2000 headphones.
I am interested in and amp/DAC for my desktop setup. I have an iMac and HiVi/Swans M10 speakers (powered sub). The speakers are great, but want to get more out of them. My co-worker and fellow head-fiyer gave me a Creative X-Mod. It made a nice difference, but still want more. I have been contemplating a NuForce Icon.
Can anyone suggest a good amp/DAC?
thanks in advance for any suggestions.

May 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 16
Get a compass...
darthsmile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/aud...ac-amp-385759/

May 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 16
if you were to buy a seperated DAC, I'd try a good tube amp like the Little Dot ones that offer great SQ for a decent price.

May 9, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 16
I've got the Fubar II + Cute Beyond amp. It's a nice little setup and very well made. It's also somewhat upgradeable, which is nice. Sadly I can't compare it to the compass or other suggestions here because I haven't heard them.

May 9, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the Fubar II + Cute Beyond amp. It's a nice little setup and very well made. It's also somewhat upgradeable, which is nice. Sadly I can't compare it to the compass or other suggestions here because I haven't heard them.

How are you running your setup to your speakers? Why not a Fubar III?

May 9, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 16
I'm not sure if you are referring too price or build quality. If it's build quality, you are mistaken. It's built like a tank. When it come to build quality, it's second to none. It's actually overbuilt for what it is(whic is a good thing). If you were referring to price, then it's a little misleading. He's only selling them at cost, and has already taken a hit. So many people are trying to get them that there is a two week waiting period to get one shipped out. The current price is only an introductory price that supposedly only good through the end of this month. I don't know if that's set in stone, but that's what was posted on his site.

May 9, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 16
Read and research more...there are a lot of products out there that will satisfy your needs. The Compass may or may not be as good as folks seem to make it out to be. Don't get swept away with the first few suggestions. ask yourself what were people buying before the Compass and who were in your situation. It is a flavour of the month thing.

The phenomenon is repeated every few months. Before the Compass i believe it was the Beresford that was the 'hot' bargain.

Am not saying the Compass is a bad product, I haven't even heard it. I eagerly await to hear one to see what the hype is about. ( any of the compass owners want to swap with my Compact tube hybrid for a couple of weeks?).

All I am saying is, don't get swayed so easily when you haven't heard the product and you only just started looking. Remember that it is a buyer's market with the current state of the economy.

May 9, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read and research more...there are a lot of products out there that will satisfy your needs. The Compass may or may not be as good as folks seem to make it out to be. Don't get swept away with the first few suggestions. ask yourself what were people buying before the Compass and who were in your situation. It is a flavour of the month thing.

The phenomenon is repeated every few months. Before the Compass i believe it was the Beresford that was the 'hot' bargain.

Am not saying the Compass is a bad product, I haven't even heard it. I eagerly await to hear one to see what the hype is about. ( any of the compass owners want to swap with my Compact tube hybrid for a couple of weeks?).

All I am saying is, don't get swayed so easily when you haven't heard the product and you only just started looking. Remember that it is a buyer's market with the current state of the economy.

I strongly disagree. There are a lot of people include myself who owned or have owned gear that reaches into four figures who absolutely love it. There are other products that will fit the bill just fine. The op was asking for suggestions, and that's what myself and others have done. No one is saying that the compass is the end all product, but for what you get for the current price is an absolute value. And it's easy to recommend considering the price. It's not the best dac or amp that I currently own, but like a lot of other said who have own products up to five times it's price, to do better you have to spend a lot more. I have heard the beresford, and it don't even come close to what you get with the compass. This is just my opinion. And this all the op was asking. Instead of being negative towards a particular product, you should have done what others have. Recommend something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back