Suggestions for a Count Basie lover?
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

otterhound

New Head-Fier
I'm a huge Count Basie fan, but his contemporaries like Bennie Goodman and Glenn Miller leave me cold. None of them swing hard like the Count; they all seem to be more syrupy and pop with more ballads and easy listening type stuff. Cab Calloway is a better, but no Count.

But I'm sure there are other hard swinging big bands out there. Can anyone point me to some?

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Teddy Wilson's band.

Muggsy Spanier's Great Sixteen.

Some Jimmie Lunceford records.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm not a fan of glen miller at all. Bennie goodman is more hit or miss. Sing, sing, sign is one of my favorites.

Some time ago, I bought a new cd. Can't remember where I read about the band. The name of the band is Big Bad VooDoo Daddy. I think I was expecting some sort of New Orleans blues, but it turned out to be a current swing band out of California.

I have bought several more and they make me smile every time. Swing is not dead yet

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 7
A1AuQdrcp%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Try this one. The Billy May Orchestra was a formidable big band with a kick to it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 7
  I'm a huge Count Basie fan, but his contemporaries like Bennie Goodman and Glenn Miller leave me cold. None of them swing hard like the Count; they all seem to be more syrupy and pop with more ballads and easy listening type stuff. Cab Calloway is a better, but no Count.

But I'm sure there are other hard swinging big bands out there. Can anyone point me to some?

Woody Herman

Artie Shaw

Benny Carter

Duke Ellington

Users who are viewing this thread

Back