Suggestions for $100+ Headphones
Jan 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jmg227

New Head-Fier
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster

I have recently received a pair of Senn 280 Pros for Christmas and I love them so, but I plan on getting some great $100 plus headphones since all my headphone life I've had sub $100 gear. I  will also would like to purchase an amp to go along with it. I am in need of suggestions though since I am rather new to this audiophile deal.

Music-I listen to a lot of Extreme Metal so heavy distorted guitars and a lot of double bass drums, but also listen to plenty of classical music of all types from orchestral to instrumental, so something that can handle both very will be great

Preference-I have read that Grados headphones go well with rock/metal but I prefer over the ear headphones, I am open to the idea, but if there is another headphone that fits the bill
Price Range- Over $100 with a maximum price of 200 but might consider going to 250. Maximum Amp price is 100 and will likely purchase it at a later date.

Plan- This purchase will be used mainly to listen to music on my laptop, I also use it for gaming and audio chat over skype with friends, but this isn't to much of a factor. My sennies, will be used with  my usv audio interface to record myself over on a sepraate computer as well as headphones for a future purchase of an electronic  keyboard.

Thanks and I hope to be a contributing member on these here forums :)

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Wow, I just joined and was about to make a near-identical first post.

From my (admittedly limited) research, I was thinking of going with Senn HD 518's (~$120) with a Nuforce uDAC-2 dac/amp (~$100). I'm going for a balanced sound that will work well in any application; it looks like you are as well.

Is this a legitimate combination or are there better routes to take with similarly priced equipment?

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 9
I would still recommend the Grado's(225i). There not that uncomfortable to me. Very light.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I would still recommend the Grado's(225i). There not that uncomfortable to me. Very light.

I am open to the idea thought for sure, any amp recommendations to go along with it?
Quote:

From my (admittedly limited) research, I was thinking of going with Senn HD 518's (~$120) with a Nuforce uDAC-2 dac/amp (~$100). I'm going for a balanced sound that will work well in any application; it looks like you are as well.

Is this a legitimate combination or are there better routes to take with similarly priced equipment?

For real? That is awesome! Senn has been a good brand for me, but maybe its time to spread my audiophile wings :p

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I am open to the idea thought for sure, any amp recommendations to go along with it?
Quote:

For real? That is awesome! Senn has been a good brand for me, but maybe its time to spread my audiophile wings :p

Looking for portable? FiiO E11. At home? Schiit Magni. Wait for some more opinions on the headphones, I'd say.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster

I have recently received a pair of Senn 280 Pros for Christmas and I love them so, but I plan on getting some great $100 plus headphones since all my headphone life I've had sub $100 gear. I  will also would like to purchase an amp to go along with it. I am in need of suggestions though since I am rather new to this audiophile deal.

Music-I listen to a lot of Extreme Metal so heavy distorted guitars and a lot of double bass drums, but also listen to plenty of classical music of all types from orchestral to instrumental, so something that can handle both very will be great

Preference-I have read that Grados headphones go well with rock/metal but I prefer over the ear headphones, I am open to the idea, but if there is another headphone that fits the bill
Price Range- Over $100 with a maximum price of 200 but might consider going to 250. Maximum Amp price is 100 and will likely purchase it at a later date.

Plan- This purchase will be used mainly to listen to music on my laptop, I also use it for gaming and audio chat over skype with friends, but this isn't to much of a factor. My sennies, will be used with  my usv audio interface to record myself over on a sepraate computer as well as headphones for a future purchase of an electronic  keyboard.

Thanks and I hope to be a contributing member on these here forums :)

For amp/dac I recommend fiio E10 (not portable, requires pc usb) or the fiio E07k (new release, portable).  The 280s are a great headphone and I doubt you'll see much of an improvement with the 518s.  I own the hd 598s and they don't go too well with fast music like metal or rock, but they do classical, vocals, games, and movies superbly.  The 518s are the lower tier so I assume they will be similar with just less clarity, refinement, and with a significant bass boost.    

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 9
My Grado SR225i gives me the aggressive sound that I was looking for.  Their bright but not too bright.  Definately not as bright as the 325i.  Bass is good.  Quality over quantity.  I listen to them through my Fiio E11 with bass boost.  The bass they give me has a nice thump and has good extension.  What makes Grado's so good for rock and metal is their fast sound signature.  Their fast, detailed and give me a nice airy sound I would expect from an open headphone.  My only complaint is that their not very comfortable for me during long periods of use, though I don't find it a big deal.

Good options for a desktop amp in your price range is the Fiio E10 and Schiit Magni.  For my pc at home I use my Schiit Asgard desktop amp for my easier to drive headphones.  The Schiit Magni is only $99 and I have read comparisons between the Schiit asgard and Schiit Magni saying that they are virtually identical in sound and performance.  The E10 is a little cheaper, though I haven't heard it myself to comment more than that.

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. How about Beyerdynamic 770? I have a buddy who has a pair and tells me they are great, would they go good for what I am looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back