Suggestion on an Amp (if needed)
May 13, 2020 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Lamby90

Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
I just got my combo beyerdynamic dt 990 pro + fiio e10k and I was pretty happy about it, loved the sound and all.
Few days ago I tried the headphone with my amplifier yamaha a-s201 which is connected to my turntable, cd player and tape deck and they sound much much better than my fiio with mp3/flac. Maybe the fiio has not enough power to fully drive the dt 990 pro?
I was thinking, if I buy a headphones amp, can I connect that to the fiio and have more power and better drive them? Because as a dac i was happy with the sound of the fiio, maybe with headphones amp and the fiio as a dac i could really drive the beyer at their full potential.
My idea was: buy the schiit magni (3+ or heresy? They go at the same price on the schiit website), connect the fiio to the schiit with a 3,5 mm out the fiio and the rca into the magni. Is that possible? Is it a good idea? With this setup will I have a noticeable improvement or will be more or less just like now? I am just a newbie on the audio world and I'm not sure how to move.
Sorry for the long post, and my english if there are any mistake, not my first language. Cheers

May 13, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 12
May 13, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 12
I just look at the website but they are a little over my budget. The schiit goes for 99+36 (more or less). I prefer to stay between 100 and 150 max €.

May 13, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 12
I don't have any faith in most of the schiity products. There is a reason they're priced that way.

May 13, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 12
Understood, you make me doubt now. Maybe better wait and buy something better than the schiit when I have enough money?
Online I read pretty good review about the Schiit products though, at least the Magni ones

May 13, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Best thing is if you can try the amp with your headphones and see if you like the sound.

There are probably many choices but it will be a guess unless you find a shop that has something for you to try.

May 13, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 12
Yes, i guess that would be the best way.
Unfortunately I haven't audio shop who sell this kind of amp in my nearby, and now with this damn virus the shops are all closed anyway.
Thank you very much for the answers and the time anyway, really appreciate it

May 13, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 12
May 13, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Thank you very much! I'll definitely take a look right away, thanks again

May 13, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 12
Hello everybody,
I just got my combo beyerdynamic dt 990 pro + fiio e10k and I was pretty happy about it, loved the sound and all.
Few days ago I tried the headphone with my amplifier yamaha a-s201 which is connected to my turntable, cd player and tape deck and they sound much much better than my fiio with mp3/flac. Maybe the fiio has not enough power to fully drive the dt 990 pro?
I was thinking, if I buy a headphones amp, can I connect that to the fiio and have more power and better drive them? Because as a dac i was happy with the sound of the fiio, maybe with headphones amp and the fiio as a dac i could really drive the beyer at their full potential.
My idea was: buy the schiit magni (3+ or heresy? They go at the same price on the schiit website), connect the fiio to the schiit with a 3,5 mm out the fiio and the rca into the magni. Is that possible? Is it a good idea? With this setup will I have a noticeable improvement or will be more or less just like now? I am just a newbie on the audio world and I'm not sure how to move.
Sorry for the long post, and my english if there are any mistake, not my first language. Cheers
I have the Fiio k3 and a schiit heresy. How you are proposing is exactly how I hook mine up. Sounds great. Running hifiman he-4xx. Here it is with my akg k240s
DFC83144-122B-40FC-88D8-EB6ECB615E4D.jpeg

May 13, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Wow, that's awesome man! Thanks for the photo and letting me know!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back