suggestion? good: mids, discants, soundstage, use:computer, phone. over ear, closed.
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nuss75

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 931 250 Ohm that I liked.
They deteriorated at the end and did not produce as good sound as when I bought them.
Now I'm looking to buy something similar but closed if it is possible.
My budget is around 200$ or 200Euro.
I would like to be able to drive them with my smartphone LG V40 and computer. Perhaps this will be limiting, so if you have a suggestion that has a greater impedance suggest it anyway but let me know.
A part from music I will use them to listen to speech synthesis for long periods of time.

Here is a review of the dt 931 which I found online (auto-translated from french):
"The DT931: a vision of things well done.
Who already have a HD600 and DT911, DT931 what surprised me when I had the ears the first time in the store.
Listening is not really neutral, there seems to be a hole in the medium. The sound of the subwoofer down the middle of the meduim of a very regular basis, then up to the high end very slowly too. This gives a perfect readability of low to high, a very fat, even a little cold or some cd with some headphone jacks. Almost all classical music goes very well on the pop-rock, disco, and French music, its superiority is less evident. In fact, his forte is in a good definition, good dynamic, and above all a superb stereo, almost 3D. We perceive the different acoustic room (standard or live) very clearly, like the high-end stereo systems.
This headphone is hard to find second-hand but you can find these impressions of what a replacement version of the DT990 hifi, not safe for the pro version.
A little gem that always brings so much pleasure."

So good sound stage, dynamics 3D feeling.
Classical, pop, electro, Jazz. Speech synthesis.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion.
Do you have a suggestion of a headphone amp that pairs good with them?
I can build from kit, and I was thinking of spending max 400$ or 400Eur, preferably around 200.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 7
schiit heresy is around 100$ and it is good and powerful
That sounds good,
Right now my computer has a shielded "on motherboard sound card" with dac chip ESS ES9023P.
So perhaps I should look at a usb-dac or a usb-dac+headphone amp. Any recommendations there also, should I buy separate dac and amp?
I have heard a lot about topping, I do not know if they have any thing in my price range but how do you think they would pair with the dt150, if you know about it?
Thanks for your input
@ caluminate I will check out some reviews on those as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back